Terraria

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
In regards to pylons, I heard some streamer say the key was use two NPCs to get all of the pylons (most?). You get two NPCs happy because they are near each other, and only each other, and then you move those two around to each biome and get all the pylons. Once you have a pylon, you need two NPCs near one to activate the pylon put they don't need to be happy themselves, so you plop down any NPC other than your "happy pair" and it activates. I haven't verified this myself, but if you don't care about best prices this might be an easier way to get the pylons down for quick transport.
The NPCs won't necessarily be "happy enough" to offer pylons. I had the painter and the dye guy in the ice biome and neither would sell me a pylon, even though they were overall happy, but neither liked ice(didn't dislike either, they were at 90% costs so positive). I moved the dryad in and the painter then offered me the pylon. Once you have the pylon though you can move them back properly, so mostly you just make little houses where you want your pylons and check the wiki then move chars around(do it during the night since they relocate instantly there, just run like a screen away and they'll pop in the houses they're assigned to, can check minimap) and then put them back where you want.

I'd say the thing you probably want to do is make a ghetto for all your shitty NPC away from your base, and put the merchant and the nurse in your base. The merchant likes the nurse and likes forest and with only 2 people he also likes that, so you get a good amount of happiness(not the highest since he doesn't love anyone, have to redo it later but nurse+merchant is an early NPC couple you can get). This makes it so he buys your shit for more money. Not a huge deal but doesn't hurt.

On the luck mechanic it doesn't seem so bad, only relevant when you're actually farming item drops, in which case you just make one or two of the right torches around your farm spot. I guess if you're exploring and farming at the same time(hard mode dungeon for example) then you'll want to make a bunch of torches beforehand but that's not that common. Even using the wrong torch isn't THAT bad, it's just a 15% reduction in drop chance, which on most drops is going to be unnoticeable. You can just not use any torch too once you have enough natural light shit at which point you're never penalized pretty much.

Drat

Golden Knight of the Realm
You can use the dryad and the painter anywhere except the forest or desert to get the pylon, and you can use the nurse and armsdealer anywhere except for the snow biome. Not sure they intended that.

Caliane

fallen logs in the overworld are related to the fairy spawns. if you destroy all the logs, fairys will no longer spawn.

Also, make a graveyard (6-8 headstones), and craft a shovel. just some iron or so, its cheap. esp before going to the jungle.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The whole luck thing has basically fucked my current world lol. We've got thousands of normal torches spread out over the entire map and in every biome.

Woulda been fuckin nice of any of that was mentioned anywhere in-game, or even in the patch notes.

Caliane

well I mean thats a bit melodramatic.

Normal torches do not get any bonus luck.
They give negative luck in desert, corruption, crimson and hallow. and a huge -2 in snow for some reason.
so, regular torches in hell, caverns, jungle, ocean, etc, is no effect.

gem torches have no luck effects.

the effect is +20% or -30%. which is multiplicative. so a 10% chance for an item to drop with +20% is 12% for item to drop.

And as pyros mentioned, focus on any farm spot for cleaning up torches. Fishing holes, etc.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
On the luck mechanic it doesn't seem so bad, only relevant when you're actually farming item drops, in which case you just make one or two of the right torches around your farm spot. I guess if you're exploring and farming at the same time(hard mode dungeon for example) then you'll want to make a bunch of torches beforehand but that's not that common. Even using the wrong torch isn't THAT bad, it's just a 15% reduction in drop chance, which on most drops is going to be unnoticeable. You can just not use any torch too once you have enough natural light shit at which point you're never penalized pretty much.
I dunno, was doing some fishing and changed out all my normal torches for hallow torches and rare shit just started flying out. Might not have been enough data points to make a difference, but it sure seemed significant.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like they got rid of the negative luck from torches.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Remaking the server in master mode, could use 1-2 more.
I wouldn't mind as long as no one gives out at ng+ haha.. never really got further than that and tried to start my own master run but don't have the heart to play by myself.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I dunno, was doing some fishing and changed out all my normal torches for hallow torches and rare shit just started flying out. Might not have been enough data points to make a difference, but it sure seemed significant.
Well the stats were on the wiki. Changing from bad to good was a fairly big jump, but changing from bad to neutral wasn't that much. Bad torch was 30% chance to half chance so 15% reduced, while good torch is 20% to double, so 10% increase. It was a fair bit but it wasn't crazy like the original complaining post on reddit made it sound like, saying you'd get half as much chance to get stuff with bad torches and shit.

Now they removed the negative penalty anyway so it's even less of a difference, you're basically just not getting the 10% increase from the right torch, which for the most part isn't going to matter much at all.

Caliane

I replaced most of mine pretty quick.

put the new biome torch in a quickslot. 0 or something.
you don't even need to select it, but in the quickslot it will be first up.
So, when you run around and Hold Shift and click on the old torch, smart tool will pickaxe the old torch, and then auto place the new biome torch.

ice torches- torch+ice easy.
Desert- torch+ hardened sand. fairly easy, but hardened sand is more rare then ice.
Jungle - torch+ jungle spore. this one is a bit of a pita. spores are needed for jungle items, are farther spread apart.. May want to build a spore farm.
Corrupt torch- torch+ebonstone. easy with some bombs.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Setting up my Terraria server later today and getting started.

Caliane

got my butt kicked by queen bee, and skeletron on master. queen bee was pretty much an ass kicking. not even close.
skeletron, was more, I made a wrong turn and took like 3 direct body hits, trying to get loop around at the end of the arena, and never recovered. honey pit, or 5 more sec for potion debuff to wear off would have been enough to live and win likely.

I see a new item I didnt know about as well. "bast statues" from desert chests, or fishing crates. 5 def aura like heart lanterns, etc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
got my butt kicked by queen bee, and skeletron on master. queen bee was pretty much an ass kicking. not even close.
skeletron, was more, I made a wrong turn and took like 3 direct body hits, trying to get loop around at the end of the arena, and never recovered. honey pit, or 5 more sec for potion debuff to wear off would have been enough to live and win likely.

I see a new item I didnt know about as well. "bast statues" from desert chests, or fishing crates. 5 def aura like heart lanterns, etc.
I've been slow going on master, don't have too many hours a day to play atm, queen bee wasn't so bad(still a couple of death before I figured I wasn't going to kill it with the ruby staff only cause that shit doesn't do nearly enough damage) but I did waste all my crimson hearts trying to kill the brain and getting smashed before I decided fuck it I'll get queen bee gear instead. After that I made the summoning items to fight it again and killed him twice while barely losing hp. I did one try on skeletron and also got smashed but arena was too small and my hook is too slow for sharp turns so I added a second platform to drop and turn around. Probably what I'll be doing tonight.

Spent the last 4hours I played just fishing and farming stupid shit and moving NPCs and other pointless shit though. Tried finding a staff of regrowth to accelerate my herb farming, but after exploring the entire jungle, I did not find one. Only found a handful of actual jungle chests, and only got a bunch of the other stuff I didn't need or already had. Then I fished a crate and got another dupe, so I'm over it unless I luck out when fishing in jungle(doing summoner so I'm fishing there for summoning potions anyway). It's mostly the deathblooms that suck anyway, rest is more or less fine even normally.

This is why I like this game, no rush, can just do a lot of side stuff and have fun. Only rush part is after hardmode and until planterra, I gotta plan a bit so I can stop corruption spread quickly, worst case I'll just edit the map to fix that shit.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

master is ridiculous

Caliane

I've been slow going on master, don't have too many hours a day to play atm, queen bee wasn't so bad(still a couple of death before I figured I wasn't going to kill it with the ruby staff only cause that shit doesn't do nearly enough damage) but I did waste all my crimson hearts trying to kill the brain and getting smashed before I decided fuck it I'll get queen bee gear instead. After that I made the summoning items to fight it again and killed him twice while barely losing hp. I did one try on skeletron and also got smashed but arena was too small and my hook is too slow for sharp turns so I added a second platform to drop and turn around. Probably what I'll be doing tonight.

Spent the last 4hours I played just fishing and farming stupid shit and moving NPCs and other pointless shit though. Tried finding a staff of regrowth to accelerate my herb farming, but after exploring the entire jungle, I did not find one. Only found a handful of actual jungle chests, and only got a bunch of the other stuff I didn't need or already had. Then I fished a crate and got another dupe, so I'm over it unless I luck out when fishing in jungle(doing summoner so I'm fishing there for summoning potions anyway). It's mostly the deathblooms that suck anyway, rest is more or less fine even normally.

This is why I like this game, no rush, can just do a lot of side stuff and have fun. Only rush part is after hardmode and until planterra, I gotta plan a bit so I can stop corruption spread quickly, worst case I'll just edit the map to fix that shit.
you took queen down before the brain? wow. Eater of worlds was cake for me.
I suppose I also didnt bother with an arena. did you? used to just kill the queen in her lair, using regen to tank the hits. maybe if I make a bee/plantera arena now, it'll bee easy.

yeah, I explored like 3/4s of my jungle looking for an anklet of the wind. then tried fishing for one, and went through like 10 crate potions with no luck. went back to digging,a nd finally got one.. Staff of regrowth I got fairly early. and my herb greenhouse is all set up. got a ton of deathbloom. just got to remember where to get it. inside the corruption/crimson chambers. on the stone in darkness. not on the surface, where you wont get the seeds.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's what I did. You really need a decent sized arena for Queen Bee on master (can just be a single platform about a screen wide, with space above and below).

Once I got to Plantera I just made it about 4 times the size. You really need a massive one for Plantera master mode because phase 2 has a TON of those little claw dealies. I don't remember how many expert had, but master it's really a fight against those and not Plantera itself. Once you kill them all it's a cake fight.

It used to be you could awaken Queen Bee and port back to your base to fight. But now she enrages outside the jungle.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
you took queen down before the brain? wow. Eater of worlds was cake for me.
I suppose I also didnt bother with an arena. did you? used to just kill the queen in her lair, using regen to tank the hits. maybe if I make a bee/plantera arena now, it'll bee easy.
Brain didn't have anything worthwhile to kill the queen anyway. Well the accessory with dodge I guess but queen has fairly simple patterns, I only died at first cause my DPS was so fucking low and since she gets increased defense as the fight goes, I was doing no progress and eventually getting killed. Like to give an example I was using jungle armor(which has a bunch of magic mods) and ruby staff(which technically isn't the best weapon I could have but couldn't find any fucking diamond and I didn't want to do skeletron first for dungeon weapons although some are good there), with potions, and the crimson rain cloud staff shit for good damage when queen bee is stationary, and I still had to rebuff mid fight(around ~25% left) even though buffs last 8mins. I switched this shit up to starfury like I did many many years ago when I last played and the crimson gun for ranged parts and beat her easily, then farmed her 3times to get the full armor+hornet staff.

Mind you seeing some streamer kill brain I could have cheesed it out easily with minishark, I wasn't aware he was that susceptible to knockback, with minishark you don't have to move he can't even hit you in phase 2 as long as you fire at the right one.

But bee isn't really that much harder than brain I think, she's very predictable, the main issue is how crazy she gets at low hp and if you have shit damage that phase lasts too long, but with good gear it barely lasts 30secs and you can't really "die" in that amount of time unless you eat literally every charge.