Terraria

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I didn't bother making a pylon for the angler. The Seashell works better for it.

Caliane

i did that for a long time, but seashell takes an inventory spot. and, you can't make an artificial ocean someplace else. so, no reason to not just put it there.

there is also a hell seashell. and if you want more efficiency, the sea conch will teleport you to the "closest" ocean. so repeated use will swap east/west. or, you can take that into consideration, and put your pylon on the opposite side of your "main" base. so, the pylon will be west ocean, and seashell from base will be east ocean for example.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Angler doesn't really benefit from happiness anyway so I'd rather keep him close. I did Golfer+Angler in my base, golfer likes angler so I get 25% shop for selling shit, and angler gives me quests and I don't care if he's happy or unhappy.

Finally killed that rave whore Empress. It just took enough tries that I could actually anticipated stuff more, it wasn't so bad near the end but it took a while, guess I'm getting old. First kill dropped the whip so that's nice, don't have to do her until I decide I want to farm terraprisma by day but it looks stupid and might just cheese it with the minecart and a gun or some shit.

Found a decent strat for Fishron to avoid him last phase that worked ok, but found out my summons don't attack him anyway apparently, so it's mostly a matter of hitting him enough time with the whip(I was still using the old whip). Got the wings on 3rd kill or so, so didn't need to farm more, he has a summon item I don't have but don't care about it.

Meanwhile went to Golem, proceeded to one shot it unbuffed without any preparation other than a row of platforms, didn't even use a potion. Ended up popping buffs and killing him 4 more times with the power cells I had, stupidly easy in comparison.

Then I spawned the martian invasion and farmed the Xeno staff, so I got better summons now for those stupid bosses that move a lot. Still not perfect but eh.

Probably time to progress and get Stardust armor and Solar wings.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My ice fortress of solitude only has like the painter in it. Complete with private cave fishing pool and gemtree grove. I am building out the farm for my alchemy lab now. I have a bunch of the NPCs in my initial starting base. I had hollowed out this hill and made some huts for the dryad and the zoologist. Golfer is ontop of the hill kind of near the zoologist. Rest of them are in a boarding house and the explosives guy is out in the desert over my big excavation over there.

Tinker and Mechanic are like midway down in my helevator.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Alright moon lord down. Got a lot easier once I got post plantera, although fishron was a big fuck and empress really fucked with me until I "got it". The other bosses in general were jokes in comparison, after one shotting golem I one shot the cultist, I died a bunch on the solar pylon but that shit's retarded on master mode but the rest was ok and moon lord took me 3 tries for the first kill then 2 for the 2nd, which was enough to craft the armor so no need to keep going. I'm just cleaning up achievements, although the fishing one seems retarded long so not sure I'll do it. I'm only at like 103 so getting another 100 quests is quite a lot.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

nice!

im getting my butt absolutely kicked in master. I got my world quarantined. eat lots of deaths doing that... world feeders.. illum bats..

fished up orichachum mage set. got enough tit/adam for the forge, and starting making adam set. I THOUGHT I was going to be way over prepared.. fucking nope. even got a bast statue finally..
crystal serpant, flower of frost, meteor staff, imp staff, ballista, nimbus rod.

tried the twins. not even close. two attempts, neither one was even to 75%..
said, ok. lets try queen slime. 30% or so on her..

I was really disheartened.. fuck, im just not good enough for this..
then I tried destroyer. thank god that was a cakewalk... nimbus rod, +meteor staff. metoer was doing work here. wrecking the sentries. main arena worked great. mostly just flying up, very little running around.
so, two relatively easy kills on him, got me hallow mage set.

I then remembered I never went and got the spider stuff, so went and farmed that.

what I have to try:
queen slime. new gear should be enough now. also, an option would be to remake the hallow arena a bit. it was just the left over eater of worlds one. some honey, bast statue might help too. larger square, vs single platform.

while twins.. a new arena for them too. just a giant bridge.

Caliane

ooph. hallow armor was not enough. still got my butt kicked vs both several times.
I had also went and collected poison staff, sky fracture, and cursed flames. cursed flames actually is weaker the flower of frost I think. sky fracture is hard to tell where it lies.

high crit, low per hit damage, fast attack. while crystal serpant is slow projectile, shotgun, also low damage per hit. meaning armor hurts it. total damage is decent.

Went to jungle and collected life fruit, bee/butterfly wings. and got blade staff from caverns.
bee wings were a slight upgrade from fairy wings. life made the differance. And, new tactic of just running all the way to the end of the hallow and back for queen slime.
got her down. run one direction, shooting her, fly up and over to turn around, then back. stay far away from her bouncing projectiles that way.
crystal serpant/sky fracture was decent phase 1. serpant was too slow in phase 2. 70% of shots would miss, I'd have to lead her heavily. which if she turned, etc, miss again.
Swapped to meteor staff, and that finished her of very well. still was kindof close..

Twins. idk.. was focusing on spaz. he was outrunning me still. frostspark boots, and even sunflowers, and swiftness. and I elongated my bridge quite a bit. 2.5x its original size..
meteor staff vs serpant/sky fracture. meteor is good, and has a high hit rate, but comes from above, so is much harder to target spaz who is usually below ret.

possible options. swap to asphalt? swap to minecart?
I got flying slime mount from queen slime. same speed when running backwards, but much faster forward, with added flight/bounce. using this while fighting might work.
Maybe got farm pirate maps and get that op pirate ship..

blood moon nautalis kicked my butt too. couldnt figure out how to avoid its charge in time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Can you even make Asphalt at that point?

I had no issue with spaz outrunning me, that's the cursed fire one right? From when I played my issue was actually him hovering at a set distance, so I couldn't reach him with my whip. When he does the charges he will go faster but that's intended, jump, dash the other way and fly upwards at the same time to do a circle around and resume running the other way should work fine. Maybe you mean the fact that he's not offscreen/further, but that's just what he does regardless of speed, when he's doing the fire attacks, he hovers at a set distance from you, regardless of wether you go fast or slow.

I think I had dropped my icespark boots at that point and switch to amphibian boots instead. They have lower top speed, no ice shit, no double jump, but they increase wings ascent speed a lot, and I much preferred not having the double jump so I could start flying right away at high speed. Ymmv but I really liked them and all you need is frog legs and boots(might be the fishing boots only not sure).

Also don't forget you can cheese twins pretty hard(and many of the bosses), by having the nurse close with a bed so you can put your savepoint there, then you just mirror out and heal to full. As long as you're not too far, they won't despawn. I didn't use nurse shit on every boss but I used it on a fair bit of them.

Nautilius is ultra bullshit, I found and killed him a bunch after I got better gear and kinda didn't need it, and I still couldn't avoid the charge with fishron wings. With good enough defense you can somewhat tank a few, but you need high damage to kill him before he charges you too much. Problem is initial charge can be dodge but then he just loops around and hit you once or twice anyway, no idea what the fuck's up with that. He doesn't drop anything useful if you're not a summoner I think though.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
PSA: Don't make the Zenith blade until you are thoroughly finished with the game. I made the "mistake" of crafting it after my Classic play-through. Started a Master Mode world, brought my character over. Speed through the progression and beat Moon Lord in less than an hour. Only buff I had going was a Regen potion and that wasn't even necessary and I consider myself a below average/average player at the game. Of course if you want the "challenge" and start fresh in Master that is a different story which I had no desire to do...

• 1Worf

Caliane

yeah, steampunker which is after a mech boss kill, sells the blendomatic, for asphalt.
nurse or teleporters. hrm. hadnt considered that.

maybe the better wings themselves will help with jumping over to turn around, and not have them fly up and back up themselves.

and yeah, the nautilus looping around was def the problem.
wiki mentions blade staff is strong vs him. and either shield dash or tank the charge 1st hit, and stands still, and the loop wont hit you.

Caliane

tried twins again. came real close. twice..

first attempt just tried making use of new wings to fly over. last 10% of spaz ran me down. the bite charge. took like 3 hits in succession in one bad turn.

Second attempt, same night... I used the queen slime mount this time. Easy mode. they barely touched me. easily flew over them to turn around, could easily outrun them in a line, should they manage to get a few hits in, and regen back. killed spaz easily.... ret despawned at like 1% due to dawn.... :/ Next attempt should be easy though.

it should make skeltron prime easy too.

Derped on first retry.

got em down second try pretty decently. Derped and made fairy bell and rainbow staff, instead of optic staff. opps.

queen slime mount made skeleton prime EASY mode. although, I almost failed with dps. But as for him. just fly in circles around him with the mount. meteors and nimbus rod.
when arms all dead. literally just bounced on his head when he would charge me, repeatedly up into the sky, raining meteors down on him.. but seriously... 7:35pm- 3:52am..

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I got really close on skeletron with time too. Killing the arms first makes it a lot easier but also takes a lot of time and you can generally ignore one(summons kinda do whatever though, the targetting is more a suggestion). Think it was 3:30 or 4AM when I killed him and I was playing pretty risky at the end to make sure I got it in time.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

yeah, since he was so trivial in terms of avoiding damage, I probably could have just focused him directly entirely with meteors. I suspect I was missing alot trying to kill the arms with it. Another option would have been use the rainbow rod. I initially dismissed it a bit, as it didnt hit as hard as I would have liked. but, it is homing, and pierces 3 times.
I think it will even hit the single target 3 times, which makes it stronger then I had given credit for. so, it would never miss, and probably burn down those arms at a solid rate.

I do need to farm the twins a bit, several more souls of sight crafts to make. no more need for fright I think.. so probably not going to bother testing rainbow.

old mans army round 2 is after one mech boss is down. I tried that, and wasnt really even close. I did go unbuffed, but my dps was miles away from good enough.
serpant shotguns, skyfracture hits the ground and doesnt pierce, rainbow pierces for 3 hits, meteor does have small aoe, but high mana cost.... none are great vs these waves. demon scythe was needed for round 1. 100% pierce. Durenhal+blade staff was actually doing better in my mage set, then my magic weapons.. magic power and mana regen potions wouldn't be enough to offset the raw numbers needed I think.

I was going to say, need to farm crystal vile shard from hallow mimics... but considered thers a few other options I overlooked. the magic harp. 100% pierce there. shadowflame hex, which I already have, but stored away since its useless in most other situations.. may even have a blood thorn... and now can upgrade poison staff to venom staff..

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not sure what you're farming but it can be worth moving on to planterra and killer her if you don't need an upgrade for it just so it slows down corruption, plus she unlocks a lot of stuff right after. I'd think planterra would be pretty easy as a mage too, can aoe kill all the little shits in phase 2 pretty fast.

Caliane

corruption is 100% quarantined. so, im in no rush there. I never even broke any alters. Yeah, I probably could go try her. I do like to overprepare, and kindof fully explore each tier at the time, before moving to the next.
old mans army round 3 is after golem, so do need to explore that before golem.

what did you end up using vs the mech bosses, and the order? like, early hardmode you get spiders, and blade staff can be farmed as well, less reliably. you had spiders, mentioned the possibility of getting the blades.
mechanically they are interesting. phase through walls, larger aggro. much less damage per hit, but pierce hitting multiple enemies. im not exactly sure their hit rate vs spiders on target.
spiders once they get on a target do alot of dps.
I never messed around with explosion or cool whip. Got Durendal now. that buffs blades damage like crazy. doubles it. (and you're right, ooph the range is shit..)
I did forget to make optic staff, so im not sure how the blades compare to that.

so the "correct" summoner kill order? blades pierce should make pretty short work of destroyer. (if explode whip makes them explode hitting multiple segments, even better) then craft durendal. which should then aid greatly with skeletron prime. twins staying out of whip range is a problem for sure. same with queen slime, you dont want to be anywhere near her in phase 2. did you say what you used on her? queen slime mount if you can take her before prime, will let you get close to the head without taking damage, as you can literally just bounce on his head and take no damage.. mount damage is totes summon damage too. this actually works for the twins a bit as well. king slime mount may even be good enough to jump on his head, safely.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Blades was too much of a pain to farm. I used spiders to kill twins, then used the twins staff to kill the other 2, and Planterra too I suppose. I upgraded a bunch of stuff after Planterra since that's where a lot of the summoner gear stuff is unlocked. Blades should be just as good, the big thing on them is they ignore like 25def so they do "more" damage than the listed value, and they track well unlike spiders which are fucking shit unless you put a backwall behind your entire arena and even then they still derp with platforms sometimes.

It's just farming it, or the Sanguine Staff from Dread Nautilus(which is an excelent option too, the bats basically always hit but their DPS isn't that high, still great for any boss you have to run/fly around a lot), it's just not fun, shit takes way too long, while spiders well it takes like 5minutes once you start hard mode, and twins are fairly good and obviously easy to get since all you need is one twins kill. I wish they didn't make the new weapons so fucking stupid to get, even the frog that sucks is hard to get, and Terraprisma is basically the hardest weapon to get unless you cheese it.

Caliane

they added this event/item recently. I just noticed it, while checking out solar eclipse req..

Caliane

plantera down. took a number of tries.

First try, I took way too many hits from her spiting at me. had a hard time seeing them. green on green... pretty much died instantly in phase 2, as she transformed right on top of me.
more tries, did better at dodging, but still got taken down fast in phase 2. She kept getting stuck and not pathing/following properly. and would cut me off, forcing me to swap rotation, which would fail occasionally.

Tried making the arena slightly bigger. it helped, but not really enough.

At first, I considered using a large rail system, that spawned in the jungle along with a large vertical cavern, to turn the entire jungle into a path to take her along. But working on extending, and streamlining it, I was getting poked by hornets too much, and wondered if it was going to be a solid choice...
Decided to give the premade arena one more shot before bed.
Two big changes for this last attempt. black spot flying mount, and inferno potion. (I had used it a few times.) and meteor staff. I modified the top of the arena a bit, to ensure meteors would not impact outside of the arena, and would come down in.
ship did the most work. phase 1, venom staff shotgunning is very high dps vs her. but its range is short, so got to get dangerously close. its raw dps is just about 2-3x everything else though. so, worth it. phase 2. dont remember which i focused on. nimbus rods were still going. meteors were ok-good at killing her adds, when there are alot of them. not great at finishing em off. venom staff piercing spread is decent at that, but again, requires being in close. its high dps for burning her down, was def the finisher, as I got more of the adds down. may have used rainbow staff a bit, for its autotarget too, vs tentacles.

She was getting on top of me way too easy still though, and often had her claws/tentacles blocking my rotation. this is where the black spot was invaluable. flying up and down through the platforms, unimpeded, and even precision flying around the tentacles, avoiding them, threading needles.

Also obviously farmed pirate maps, and did pirates a few times before this. very easy with meteor staff, nimbus rod, and afk lava pit farm..
A few solar eclipses as well.

Still haven't managed t2 of old mans army. venom staff was most effective. harp is too slow. probably really should have farmed the 25 medals in t1, to upgrade to t2 sentries immediately. fully buffed, venom staff was still only getting to like round 4. im not dying, but keeping sappers/flyers off the crystal is not going well.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah farming medals to buy the upgrade right away is pretty big especially when not using summoner builds. Now that planterra is dead, you can probably grab the ice key and get the frost hydra to help with this and some other similar stuff, does fairly decent passive damage.

There's plenty of time for old one's army though, you shouldn't bother rushing golem right away there's a ton of stuff to farm first like dungeon new drops(master ninja gear to replace shield, possibly paladin shield if you want to be a lot tankier when shit goes bad with a frost turtle shield+paladin shield combo(6def, no knockback on hit, 25%dmg reduction when under half hp), I'm sure there's some good weapons there too for mages from all the caster fucks. Spectre armor too, not sure it's the best setup but it's probably quite decent. Might be some stuff in the pumpkin moon event too not too sure(most of it is summoner shit but I don't really know stuff), although it can get pretty hard too.

Once you have the gear definitely farm enough tokens for the next tier though cause post golem one can be brutal and the dragon drops pretty good items(-40 defense magic weapon thing that's really good for the debuff)

Brikker

Trump's Staff
they added this event/item recently. I just noticed it, while checking out solar eclipse req..

That's pretty cool. Sounds like it's hard mode difficulty?

They removed the negative aspect of off-biome torches though, right? I just use normal ones everywhere.