Terraria

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hmmm, I can't decide whether I should start from scratch or keep my old character with the hellforged armor?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Brain of Cthulhu boss is a pretty great giant worm replacement. Samish mechanics in that you want stuff that hits multiple targets still, but different enough to feel fresh. And like basically every time I start a new map, I got a hilariously OP enchanted boomerang almost right off the bat, making killing the Eye a joke even at 120hp. No shurikens for me!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Eye has always been a joke once you realize how OP bow+fire arrows are.

Having a blast with this so far. The absolute best part is that there is no wiki and I have no idea what anything does or how to make it.

Lol'd pretty damn hard when I built a huge tower and started mining clouds from the sky.

Rime

<Donor>
So... uh... how do you get adamantine now? All of my demon altars are spawning Cobalt - Mythral - Titanium.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
So... uh... how do you get adamantine now? All of my demon altars are spawning Cobalt - Mythral - Titanium.
Either you just don't, or you try in another world. A lot of the new tiers are designed as an either/or system instead of a direct line of progression. When a world spawns in 1.2, it will have either iron OR lead, gold OR platinum, etc. A world will also have corruption or crimson, along with demonite ore or crimtane ore.

Recipes that require components from the either/or stuff were updated to work with both. For example, Night's Edge can be crafted with the blade of grass, muramasa, fiery greatsword, and light's bane or blood butcherer, depending on which your world spawned as.

The new stuff is different though, it's not the same item renamed. Some of the parallel items are slightly better than their counterpart, others slightly worse. The idea is to make each playthrough a little different instead of the same every time. The downside is, for a player that likes to go all out with one and only one world will miss out on some of the content.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just started playing this with my brother since we were both free all day today. Started at 1pm...it's now 8pm...god dammit lol. This game is so addicting to just explore and find shit. Also building a village to get some NPCs is fun too. Dammit I love this game.

Roxon

Molten Core Raider
Just started playing this with my brother since we were both free all day today. Started at 1pm...it's now 8pm...god dammit lol. This game is so addicting to just explore and find shit. Also building a village to get some NPCs is fun too. Dammit I love this game.
Do you need a group or at least one other person for this to be a fun game? Or is it still pretty decent flying solo?

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Much much much better if you are playing with other people. When this game first came out I played with 3 RL friends and I swear we got lost in Terraria for like 12 hours one day and another 10 the next or something. When we finally finished everything to do we stopped. Now I'm playing through with just my brother and it's still a ton of fun. Plus with the new patch there is a lot more to do. I'd love to play with more people but heck, even just 1 other person makes it that much more enjoyable. Playing Solo is fine, but I definitely feel the game is better suited for multiple players.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Just unlocked hard mode. Hard mode is hard, can't wait to see the new bosses etc.

Disp and hachima, I won't kill anything with out you.
smile.png

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So, I just bought Terraria based on this thread. I played for about 10 minutes but don't understand the point of it, also I went the wrong way I guess and now I'm stuck in complete darkness underground and can't get out. I don't see any info anywhere in the actual game on keybindings, abilities, so on and so forth. What am I missing here? I need help!

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
So, I just bought Terraria based on this thread. I played for about 10 minutes but don't understand the point of it, also I went the wrong way I guess and now I'm stuck in complete darkness underground and can't get out. I don't see any info anywhere in the actual game on keybindings, abilities, so on and so forth. What am I missing here? I need help!
Lol, this reminds me of one of the Metacritic reviews that a gamer gave. He scored it a zero cuz it didn't tell him what to do. Not saying you are a baddie like him. Just made me lol.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah the game pretty much throws you into the deep end right away. Basically what you need to know:

* To cut wood select your axe and L Click the *base* of the tree and hold it down. After like 10-15s it will cut down and get the wood.
* Before the first night cycle you need a shelter. With the wood you got put it into your hotkey bar (press "ESC" to open up your inventory) and select the wood. Just L-Click to place. [Just make a rectangle -- you don't need anything fancy here. Like 20 blocks wide and as tall as you can place.]
* First things first is to make a work bench. Press "ESC" to open up the crafting window (it is in the bottom left) and go to the work bench. Create it and place it. That opens up more crafting options.

Also placing torches is kind of tricky. Basically just select it from your hotkey bar and just left click on a wall/ground. Sometimes the collision on if it will place the torch or not is hot or miss. So just spam it till it places. It took me a really, embarrassingly, long time to figure out how to correctly place those fuckers.
That is the quick-start guide. From there it is basically more of the same. You mine minerals/ores to unlock new crafting stations and items to craft. Rinse and repeat.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah the game pretty much throws you into the deep end right away. Basically what you need to know:

* To cut wood select your axe and L Click the *base* of the tree and hold it down. After like 10-15s it will cut down and get the wood.
* Before the first night cycle you need a shelter. With the wood you got put it into your hotkey bar (press "ESC" to open up your inventory) and select the wood. Just L-Click to place. [Just make a rectangle -- you don't need anything fancy here. Like 20 blocks wide and as tall as you can place.]
* First things first is to make a work bench. Press "ESC" to open up the crafting window (it is in the bottom left) and go to the work bench. Create it and place it. That opens up more crafting options.

Also placing torches is kind of tricky. Basically just select it from your hotkey bar and just left click on a wall/ground. Sometimes the collision on if it will place the torch or not is hot or miss. So just spam it till it places. It took me a really, embarrassingly, long time to figure out how to correctly place those fuckers.
That is the quick-start guide. From there it is basically more of the same. You mine minerals/ores to unlock new crafting stations and items to craft. Rinse and repeat.
Can also just hold shift and it will either auto your pick axe or place a torch depending on where your mouse is pointed. Also need walls to go behind your house or monsters can spawn inside.

Tenks

O yeah I forgot about walls. Probably because I hate placing them. I hate constructing shit in general.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Doesn't the Guide that spawns next to you at the beginning of the game actually tell you how to do this stuff? Maybe not exactly but I swear he has a "help" or "crafting" option that should be more then enough information to get started.

Or just be like...Huh...I've got an axe, I wonder what I can do with this. Omg, trees! Axe....Trees.....!!!! What happens if I....

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
When speaking to the guide, if you select the crafting option it opens a little menu on the left. If you place any material in the box, the guide will show you every recipe in the game using that material. It's been especially helpful with 1.2 since most of the new stuff isn't on the wiki (or at least wasn't in the first 1-2 days, it's being updated frequently).

Tenks

Yeah I may need to reroll my world because I spawned next to a really deep water body and the guide is always at the bottom of the ocean