The Astronomy Thread

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Between the likelihood of it being lousy weather and still being at the end of mud season, if I do decide to camp out for it I will definitely have a backup plan. I've been camping in the Adirondacks in the middle of winter before (though it was a long time ago) and I'm aware how miserable of an experience it can be if you're not properly prepared.

I do like the idea of it though, it's been too long since I went camping.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Wow.

Best Ever Image of a Star’s Surface and Atmosphere - First map of motion of material on a star other than the Sun

Using ESO’s Very Large Telescope Interferometer astronomers have constructed the most detailed image ever of a star — the red supergiant star Antares. They have also made the first map of the velocities of material in the atmosphere of a star other than the Sun, revealing unexpected turbulence in Antares’s huge extended atmosphere.

eso1726a.jpg

----

Using ESO’s Very Large Telescope Interferometer astronomers have constructed this remarkable map of the motions of material on the surface of the red supergiant star Antares. This is the first such velocity map of any star other than the Sun. In red regions the material is moving away from us and in the blue areas the material is approaching. The empty region around the star is not a real feature, but shows where velocity measurements were not possible.

eso1726c.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Finally! Man, I've been arguing with people at work for fucking years about this sort of thing. They believe in Bigfoot, aliens, conspiracy theories, all that. I've been telling them that while I believe there are probably alien life forms out there, they have never, ever been here...or if they have, the chance that it was during the "reign of man" is infinitesimally small. This picture right here finally gave me the perfect visual aid to show them what the fuck I'm talking about. One of them even asked, "But where is our Sun in there?" and I got to explain that the blue dot encompassed all of our solar system and several others close by. And once I got them to understand just how insignificant we are in the Milky Way, that whole big illustration, I got to blow their fucking minds by saying that there are literally 100 billion or more of that same illustration out there. Imagine if that intelligent life you are convinced you saw as a kid happened to develop on one of those instead of here. Do you really think it got all the way here and then just decided to probe your anus?

I'm bookmarking this for future arguments!

• 6Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

Brad2770

You actually debated something with them? It would have been easier to hit them with a bike lock.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
This is Saturn's rings, looking out from Saturn as Cassini moves between the planet and the rings. Only 2 orbits left.

7751_PIA21886_Inside_outRings_20170820.gif

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
100, since we'd be at the center of the sphere of radio waves spanning 200.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

That galaxy image also highlights the problems with receiving potential alien transmissions. Unless an alien civilization inside that bubble transmitted something via radio waves, and said radiowaves were able to actually be received by something here, we would have missed it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I wonder how far a 3 billion lightyear signal redshifts? Like was it around visible light when it left the origin?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user