The Astronomy Thread

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Quick check says it should be only 40% redshift, which isn't enough for a red visible spectrum signal to drop beyond near-infrared.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didn't find any way to quickly calculate the redshift, but as an order of magnitude estimate I interpreted your ballpark figure as the signal had red shifted to 40% of its original frequency. That puts the original "broadcast" in the neighborhood of 16.5MHz, so it's probably been hanging out in that same part of the RF spectrum for the last ~3 billion years.

d767369f03b8438977f080ab8db8d36e.gif

Anyone feel like tackling the question of what was the original broadcast signal power?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Goldstone's view of Florence, pretty neat to see the eclipse of the smaller moon.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
It's mostly smear/noise and dirty uncalibrated optics, but this is the closest (1641km) image we'll get of Saturn until we send an atmospheric probe there one day. Cassini's final image uplink will be done on the 14th before it's reconfigured to send telemetry live as it's collected on it's final dive into the clouds.

DI1G1MsUIAA_zZu.jpg:large

Unrelated:

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Just because its going to be incredible to see if the falcon heavy can land all three boosters in one launch. One of the best videos regarding the F9 on youtube. Not new, but worth a (re)watch. Cassini we hardly knew you.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Just over 4 hours from now Cassini will disintegrate in Saturn's atmosphere.

Titan one last time (9/12)

upload_2017-9-14_23-31-0.png

And a goodbye to Encaladus, as it set over Saturn's limb.

2 mosaics of images taken by Cassini prior to it's final dive into Saturn.

DJvLKTyUQAAYyn4.jpg:large

DJvBi4IXcAYKpQg.jpg:large

:(

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
This was a nice read, I just linked the videos to make the post a little more enticing.

A Day in the Life of NASA's Voyagers

The Voyagers have explored the far reaches of our solar system, and Voyager 1 entered interstellar space in August 2012. Exactly where the solar system ends depends on the criteria used to define it.

This visualization tracks the trajectory of the Voyager 1 spacecraft through the solar system. Launched on Sept. 5, 1977, it was one of two spacecraft sent to visit the giant planets of the outer solar system. Voyager 1 flew by Jupiter and Saturn before being directed out of the solar system.

This visualization tracks the trajectory of the Voyager 2 spacecraft through the solar system. Launched on Aug. 20, 1977, it was one of two spacecraft sent to visit the giant planets of the outer solar system. Like Voyager 1, Voyager 2 flew by Jupiter and Saturn, but the Voyager 2 mission was extended to fly by Uranus and Neptune before being directed out of the solar system.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users