The Astronomy Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
@Admin this thread still needs the "mind blown" reaction more than any of it's other currently available reactions.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I am right on the path of totality, I should see about 1 min and 54 secs of totality.
I could drive closer to the lakes to get it for about 30 secs longer but I don't think I am going to be getting on the road too much that day, traffic is supposed to be horrible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I am right on the path of totality, I should see about 1 min and 54 secs of totality.
I could drive closer to the lakes to get it for about 30 secs longer but I don't think I am going to be getting on the road too much that day, traffic is supposed to be horrible.
eclipse_searches_2x.png

• 1Worf

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I live within the path of totality. At my house the est. time is 2 m 39 s...but I have to work. The entire fucking county is shut down for a giant fucking party, but our office is open and of 4 Supervisors, I am the one who drew the short straw....
Time at this location is 2 m 32 sec...10 miles from my house.

• 1Like

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>

Our guns are loaded.

The wife went out today to find some overpriced eclipse glasses because she's excited and there will be lines before they open to sell them every day.

Suppose to be an extra 50k people in the area for hotels and the snowbirds coming back for it.

I hope all the people travelling in from out of state and country know that it will be like 112 degrees when it happens.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
That thing is passing right over me in KY. Full eclipse from my backyard. I await the lizard race.
Until then, this will have to do. The welcoming rocket.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
its from AOL so you know its gotta be true
Conspiracy theorist warns solar eclipse will signal the coming of Nibiru and the end of our planet
If there's anything that you've simply been dying to do or see, you'd best get it done soon.

According to conspiracy theorist David Meade, our planet will cease to exist as we know it in September 2017.

Meade's bizarre and unfounded theory claims that immediately after the upcoming total solar eclipse on August 21, the mythical planet Nibiru, or Planet X, will appear on the horizon and begin it's month-long collision course with Earth, arriving in late September to actually end the world.

@Himeo Fill us in. Is this legit??

Oldbased

> Than U
Remember, do not stare at the sun even when blocked. It'll still fry your iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii's. If your camera has a high powered zoom it could even damage that according to NASA. It's going to be weird being in total darkness a few minutes in the middle of the day and dark overall for awhile. Right now they are showing clear from now until Tuesday for KY. Lucked out.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Monday is the only day in the next week that is forecast to be cloudy. Thx monsoon moisture.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Heading out this morning to camp out tonight, May your people traffic be low. I'm pretty excited to be able to experience this Eclipse. Sun sun and more sun at my location. I always think about using the sun as a gravitational lens when I think of solar eclipses now. Relativity go.

Solar eclipse of May 29, 1919 - Wikipedia

How a Total Solar Eclipse Helped Prove Einstein Right About Relativity
It's peaking where I am like 1pm Monday. Perfect timing. Pretty nuts it'll be 5 hours long but only just over 2 minutes of total eclipse. Lots of data useful for sun people though, in particular the visible rays that is normally a bit more tricky for them to observe so clearly.

• 1Like