The Bard's Tale 4

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
This launches next week. I backed this on Kickstarter, so will have a copy whether it's good or not. Any word on improvements since beta?

Nothing in the beta build really changed, just some bug fixes. There's a list of stuff on their forums that is "being looked at" but I'm not very hopeful of a good game coming out of it.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
In the final release respeccing your abilities is very costly and not the sort of thing you will be doing constantly like you can now. In addition they increased the number of Mastery slots by 1 so you can now have 4 things slotted instead of 3.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Released now. Installing will take 2 hours as it is a 55gb download :(

Hopefully lots of that comes from tavern shanty performances!

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I can't wait to get home and play. I just finished 1 on the remaster. Too bad they didn't get 2 and 3 out before 4.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

ACG's review is pretty positive. Might want to way a month or two for a buglist patch, is what I got from it.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I Kickstarted this and started the download remotely at home, so I'll be playing this tonight. Watched that video on my lunch hour, and honestly this is exactly the game I wanted. The only real negatives I saw from his review is that it isn't optimized very well, but as long as it plays as well as it did during his video, that's good enough for me. The gameplay itself looks like what I've been missing for all these years. I'm super excited to finally have this to play.

I can't quite tell if this will satisfy the other craving I've been having or if it is just like every other modern game, and a lot of you might think I'm crazy for wanting it, but I'm fucking tired of pre-built companions that I feel compelled to bring with me instead of creating my own. I'm never going to play a game like this a second time (I have no idea how some of you not only have time for that, but also enjoy it), so if I skip all the pre-made companions, I know I'm missing a bunch of potentially great stuff. But back in the day, you made your entire party the way you wanted them, and it was fabulous. I'm tired of having to keep a subpar character just because he has a bunch of storyline and quests devoted to him. Just give me more overall quests then! Don't make me swap in different characters to "experience" the full game. I miss the days of having the entire party be products of MY imagination, not someone else's.

I saw a "Soandso joins the party" message during that review, so I'm not super hopeful, but my ultimate fantasy would be to make my entire party, and then have 1 or 2 slots for temporary companions that only stick around for a specific quest or two. I mean, strictly speaking from an ease of making a game perspective, I'd think that is way easier than trying to design all these characters that will have to respond to different interactions depending upon who else is in the party with you, like Divinity and Pillars of Eternity do. But every fucking game seems to pride itself on giving you a dozen different characters to choose from. Fuck that. Leave the creation to me, and then just add some here and there for specific quests.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Leave the creation to me, and then just add some here and there for specific quests.

When you start the game, you start as Melody the Bard. Right after that (before any fights), you get the ability to continue with her or make your own character.

However, after that you get sent to find some people who join you. All being pre-made characters. There is a party menu that shows that you can have 6 party members in a group, and then there is room for 15ish? others that say will be sent to the adventurers guild when idle. Not sure how many of those are pre-made, or if there is room for self made characters too as you can make your own at the adventurers guild (mercs). However, they cost merc coins to buy, and you don't have any of those at that point.

So you can make your own, but the opening part at least forces you to use pre-made characters except the main one. I got an achievement keeping Melody though, so might be as you feared that the game is built around pre-made characters. They also give abilities you need to progress, so at least need to use them for a bit.

That said. Game is very fun and looks great.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Thanks. Yeah, I was afraid this was more of the same, I was just sort of griping/whining that I wish someone would take the initiative and go back to what I can only assume is a simpler method for the people actually designing the game, while also being more fun for someone like me. Maybe the players themselves are too retarded these days to be troubled to make up 6 characters themselves??

I mean, even the mechanics of either auto-leveling characters "in waiting" or having to pull them out periodically to level up those that are lagging behind has to be more effort than making you create your own, doesn't it?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I can't wait to get home and play. I just finished 1 on the remaster. Too bad they didn't get 2 and 3 out before 4.
Man, that old UI was just too much for me to deal with on the remaster. I was hoping the remaster was going to have a better UI.

gandalf

Trakanon Raider
Hello all. This is my first post on this forum. I just wonder for those now having tried out this game. Is this a AAA title ? I am curious because of the "low" price tag.
I loved Divinity Original Sin 2. And seeing this also have tactical combat , is Bards Tale in the same league as dos2 ?

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hello all. This is my first post on this forum. I just wonder for those now having tried out this game. Is this a AAA title ? I am curious because of the "low" price tag.
I loved Divinity Original Sin 2. And seeing this also have tactical combat , is Bards Tale in the same league as dos2 ?

Lot of technical issues, wait for a patch and a sale.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Too early to call it a Masterpiece, like D: OS2.

Def not AAA in the sense of production value, etc. The ACG review above I would mirror having actually played for a few hours.
Everything ultra. i5-6600k 3.5GHz, 32gb ram, gtx 1070. periodically hit major performance spikes, walking around out of combat.
npc faces, and resolution is pretty lol, as he notes as well.

Very fun so far. Right on par with Grimrock, and might and magic x: legacy. although a different flavor of dungeon crawl each.

I saw a "Soandso joins the party" message during that review, so I'm not super hopeful, but my ultimate fantasy would be to make my entire party, and then have 1 or 2 slots for temporary companions that only stick around for a specific quest or tw
So far, while you CAN have player created characters, it does seem to be heavily leaning towards premade. kindof like a Divinity:OS.

From my couple hours played. you start with the premade bard. do some tutorials, get to the adventures guild. At which point you can drop her, and make your own, or keep her.
From there, you go out alone, and pick up two premade npcs you have to use. You have to get "Mercenary tokens" to hire custom characters. I havent seen any yet. but are likely tied to completing premade npcs quests. aka, you aquire a premade companion, and you also get a merc token, to replace them with. So far, it seems to force you to play with the premades , to some extent.

Spoiler for the classes of the first two premades, if you desire.
rogue, then fighter.

Max party size is 6 by the end of the game. with like 15 slots of reserves for back up characters.

So far, I am sticking with the premades. given the 6 party size, there are plenty to choose from imho.

Last edited:

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Different games. DOS2 being a crpg and quite a bit more tactical than this game, even though this is a turn based grid rpg. It's more akin to Legens of Grimrock, only this is a full scale 3D world where the camera only locks down in combat.

Not noticed any technical issues myself so far (other than turning view distance to high instead of ultra, rest is ultra).

They released a patch notes roadmap for the next two weeks+. Can read that to see if you should wait or not.

Patch 1 – Est. Friday 9/21
  • We’re starting initial work on improving load times to help people playing on non-SSD hard drives. There is more work to be done but it’s a big focus of ours in the near future
  • Initial work on optimization and framerate improvements.
  • Auto-detection of hardware and adjustment of quality settings on initial load of the game. While there is currently auto-detection in the options menu, it wasn’t happening automatically. The game defaults to Ultra settings which is likely causing FPS issues for those without high end hardware.
  • FOV adjustment slider.
  • Fixing wide-screen monitor support. This is part one of a two part plan.
  • First is getting the resolution settings working as intended followed by an art pass on the UI elements in patch 2.
  • Fixes for a few side quests that weren’t triggering as intended
  • Fix to puzzle weapons where if a puzzle is solved on the weapon while it’s equipped by a player, it will result in the puzzle reverting it’s state to unsolved. As a workaround now, it can be solved in the inventory perfectly fine.
  • Optimization to Kaels Rudiment that dropped framerate while in combat
  • Fix in Magnar’s Tower where a lever can be spammed in the shadow combat room that makes a bell hint unreadable
  • Fix for a softlock if a tutorial pops up when a player reads a note
  • Falkentyne’s Fury will no longer persist on the players party team after a combat has ended.
  • Fix where the Strifespear’s abilities don’t play nicely with the Vanguard skill
  • Update to the save system that will allow players to delete saves as needed.
  • Fix for a bug where killing Charn Cultists with Falkentynes Fury, which would result in a soft lock.
  • Fix for spellpoints not updating correctly on the stat sheet when gear is equipped and unequipped.
  • Fix where in rare instances, activating a standing stone of gratitude before going into a combat can result in a soft lock
  • Fix for a duping item issue by replacing a non-stackable trinket with a stackable one.
  • Fix so MACO compass can’t be spammed outside of combat, allowing for a stacked stun chance.
  • Fix where pausing the game during a cutscene after killing Yadis can cause the game to enter an unresponsive state.
  • Fix for the wraith where it shows 3 mana before summoning but actually costs 4 mana.
  • Other smaller fixes

Patch 2 – Est. Friday 9/28
  • Continued improvements to load times
  • Continued work on optimization and framerate. By this patch, we expect to have some solid improvements in place for some areas that have higher than expected hits to your GPU.
  • Part 2 of wide-screen monitor support. Updating the full screen art and layout of UI elements like the quest text and mini-map to extend to the proper edges of the screen.
  • Update to the save totem system and adding mini-map markers for where save totems are in the world.
  • Updating and improving localization in all languages for noted issues and some awkward grammar
  • Fixes to a variety of abilities to make their effects more clear.
  • Balance pass to some weapons and abilities after gameplay feedback.
  • Fix to masteries sometimes not saving their ordering when changing them in the mastery page.
  • Fix to some sounds not playing in certain parts of the world and in some UI elements
  • Fix to the party HUD staying open if you use a merchant while party HUD is up
  • Fix for removing range diagrams from Songs of Exploration where unnecessary
  • Fix for caltrops not firing off if summoned enemies enter their space
  • Update to some text spacing and flyouts in combat for readability
  • Update to map legends and mini-map to remove unnecessary items and improve readability
  • Fix for health bars showing up in front of giants and some bosses
  • Fix for some FaceFX issues on characters
  • Fix for some models not displaying when inspected from the inventory
  • Fix for some redundant text in the ability tool tips
  • Fix for gold sense where it doesn’t turn when near a chest after it has been looted

Patch 3
  • Additional Loading time improvements
  • Additional game optimization and framerate improvements
  • Addition of a Legacy Mode (hardcore mode with grid move, option to turn off mini-map, the A-Team, perma-death, auto-resurrect)
  • Ability to speed up combat animations
  • Inventory sorting
  • Controller support
  • Continued bug fixes and general improvements

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I played a little last night, and yeah, it is definitely something they intend you to play with the provided characters. Which is fine, it just isn't my dream game. I did find a merc token pretty early into the game though, after finding the first guy and following the blood trail and freeing his buddies. I think it was in one of those "hidden" chests that you have to sing for, but I could be mistaken.

I've encountered some of those horrible lag spikes too, but turning everything to High instead of Ultra has reduced them quite a bit. It auto-detected everything except one to Ultra for me, so I should be able to play it that way, but honestly the game isn't that "graphically beautiful" that I notice any difference between High and Ultra. The thing that DID make a difference, and I'm mentioning it here because I wish I had known about it right away, is turning off fucking Motion Blur. Holy fuck, I thought I was losing my sight/mind or something, because I was getting a headache playing the fucking game. Fortunately I checked the options again and saw that. After turning it off, the game is immensely easier to look at, for me at least. Why the fuck would someone want the game to simulate motion blur?? Your eyes do that for you if you turn fast enough, no need to do it artificially.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it, but hopefully the manual gives a little more description of some of the skills. Of course I didn't read it, so I'll do that while I'm supposed to be working!

Oh, and apparently the code I got from Kickstarter also gives me a "Red Boots DLC" along with various items and skins. I found the items and skin (although no idea if that is only usable on a character you make, as it wouldn't really make sense on Melody), but wtf is Red Boots? Clicking on it on the actual Kickstarter page takes me to an imgur pic of Wasteland 2. WTF? Anyone know what the fuck that is? I sort of assumed I'd get fucking red boots, obviously, maybe even like the ones in the Broadway show Kinky Boots, but yeah, not seeing that anywhere.

EDIT: Read those patch notes after typing this. Seems maybe I can't handle Ultra, since that's what it defaults to, so turning the settings down would obviously help.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Why the fuck is this game 50 gigs?! From the sounds of it, I'll be waiting for some patching/optimization on this. Fine by me as I'm still working on Divinity OS 2.