The Beer Thread

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm hosting an event with an international theme. I'm looking for beers that represent specific countries. For example, I've got Baltika to represent Russia. What would be a stereotypical Scottish beer? It doesn't have to be a great beer, but one that just screams Scotland. Although I'd obviously prefer one that is also tasty.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm hosting an event with an international theme. I'm looking for beers that represent specific countries. For example, I've got Baltika to represent Russia. What would be a stereotypical Scottish beer? It doesn't have to be a great beer, but one that just screams Scotland. Although I'd obviously prefer one that is also tasty.

BrewDog is rather famous and delicious. Should be easy-ish to find. I'm sure they make a Scotch Ale.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
cRBlq3R.jpg

:emoji_thumbsup:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
what does ABV have to do with oak barrel aging? You think some alc seeps out of bourbon barrel?

But you are right, in one way the high ABV beers really profit from aging. It mellows out the harsh alc flavor, of say an abbey tripel or some shit like that. But I guess they 'age" this beer for a few weeks or a month or so just to get that bourbon barrel flavor and tannins.

Last edited:

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I found a place that has Delerium Tremens on tap. One of the first beers I ever had and still one of my favorites. I've never seen it on tap around here before.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I've been on Keto for a while now, and seriously miss beer. I've been drinking both of these when I have a serious desire for a beer, but it's just not the same. As far as low carb though, they aren't bad. Kinda bullshit they are labeled IPA, but whatever.

I'm planning on getting back into brewing sometime in the next few months though. I just can't Keto forever

1580406450372.png

1580406478743.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I've been on Keto for a while now, and seriously miss beer. I've been drinking both of these when I have a serious desire for a beer, but it's just not the same. As far as low carb though, they aren't bad. Kinda bullshit they are labeled IPA, but whatever.

I'm planning on getting back into brewing sometime in the next few months though. I just can't Keto forever

View attachment 246596
View attachment 246597

You can make some low carb shit, there is recipes out there. One way is to add some amalayse enzyme into your secondary. Another is mashing in the low side temps to make dryer beer. Use more adjuncts like raw sugar which pretty much 100% ferments, plus ups the ABV. Then use this base to make some really nice hoppy beers if youre into the whole IPA shit. It might take you a few try to make something balanced and good, but once you nail it down, you can rebrew this shit over and over.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
You can make some low carb shit, there is recipes out there. One way is to add some amalayse enzyme into your secondary. Another is mashing in the low side temps to make dryer beer. Use more adjuncts like raw sugar which pretty much 100% ferments, plus ups the ABV. Then use this base to make some really nice hoppy beers if youre into the whole IPA shit. It might take you a few try to make something balanced and good, but once you nail it down, you can rebrew this shit over and over.
Thanks for the info. Honestly though I knew going into it I wouldn't be able to stay on Keto forever. I'm down 45 pounds and want to drop maybe 10-15 more. After that I will just figure out how to maintain.

I just don't enjoy those low carb beers enough to want to brew them I don't think. However, it is nice to know there are options out there!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Corona Premier is actually pretty good for a low cal, low carb lager.

• 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
SF Beer Week going on right now and I'm really enjoying the sour explosion. Some very high quality ones out there. If only they weren't so damn expensive.

Also Russian River production has increased dramatically with the new facility they built. They're bottling everything and it's all readily available all over town. Bought a bottle of Shadow of a Doubt this past weekend. Love that imperial stout.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I haven't read much about breweries closing, but also haven't been looking for news. I've heard of a few places around here that have been able to adjust and hold on by doing local delivery or pivoting an in house restaurant to a grocery of sorts.

I opened up my can of Atta Boysenberry | The Bruery that I'd been holding onto for a while. Real smooth, not too much fruit/sweetness. Dangerousness all around at just under 14%

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Breweries seem to be doing fine. They're all offering home delivery and I know plenty of people who have been participating. I've been going directly to the breweries for pickup. I went to the new Russian River facility a couple weeks ago. It's fucking massive. No wonder it's easy to find now. But I was the only car in the entire parking lot which is something you'd never expect to see for Russian River.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
... Russian River...

I read that they had expanded, still haven't had any of their beers except Elder.

I've been working on the 'back catalog':

1590562637908.png

1590562733492.png

1590562813880.png

1590563020969.png

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I love Bruery. I've only had Oude Tart out of those. They make so many beers it's impossible to keep up.

Has anyone jumped aboard the Alvarado St bandwagon yet? They're quickly becoming my new fave and auto-buy when I see them. I think the difficulty of finding them helps fuel that. Why are they located in fucking Salinas? Such a shit town. I only know it because it has an In N Out I usually stop by on my drive to the Central Coast.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Man I really only get Sierra Nevada because of distribution out in the Midwest. I can occasionally see some Bruery but not often enough to make it worthwhile (also none of the real specialties).

I was pissed when I missed the Bottle Logic anniversary party a few years ago...