The Book of Boba Fett

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Nine-year-old me would be insanely hyped about that episode. Mid-forties me is spoiled on Rogue One.

I don't know if Favreau can ever successfully reconcile the expectations of the younger Clone Wars/Filoniverse fans and the original Star Wars Trilogy fans, who want to feel the same excitement they felt watching ESB as a ten-year-old while watching any modern PG-13 Star Wars show as a middle-aged adult.

Robert Rodriguez clearly isn't out to try. His brief is likely to apply what made his Spy Kids stuff work onto live action Filoniverse scripts and he stuck to that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Episode 6 was probably the strongest "appeal to Filoniverse and OG fans at same time" episode of the run, including Mando.

You had Luke, R2, Yoda callbacks, Ashoka, and Cad Bane all in a single episode.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
When the skin pony-tail used car-salesman guy:

thrwthwrth.jpg

is pitching his idea, the Boba Fett in my mind would have stopped, look at him, and shot him dead.

But instead we get "Very well".

...and while this was sorta used in an equally comedic effect for the guy to read the offering [nothing] as a distraction, it still highlights my main gripe of this entire show: how weak they made Boba.

Kudos to them for being self-aware enough to actually say this in this episode via Cad Bane saying that Boba has gotten soft in his old age... I felt like he was speaking for many of the fans hah!

> > > It's meh. < < <

That's my review and I'm sure many of yours too. Worth watching for fans and it has its moments, but it's... meh.

I've seen the end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I've seen the end to Godfather. I've seen Episode 1 intro on growth hormones. I've seen King Kong. You know exactly what parts I'm talking about... and because you know what parts I'm talking about and why this post is amusing to you, that's exactly why this is: meh.

We deserved better than this from a Boba Fett series.

• 1WTF
  • 1Salty

Cybsled

I kind of expected him to shoot him as well, but making him deliver an "eat shit" message to act as a distraction was pretty good too

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
When the skin pony-tail used car-salesman guy:

View attachment 397619

is pitching his idea, the Boba Fett in my mind would have stopped, look at him, and shot him dead.

But instead we get "Very well".

...and while this was sorta used in an equally comedic effect for the guy to read the offering [nothing] as a distraction, it still highlights my main gripe of this entire show: how weak they made Boba.

Kudos to them for being self-aware enough to actually say this in this episode via Cad Bane saying that Boba has gotten soft in his old age... I felt like he was speaking for many of the fans hah!

> > > It's meh. < < <

That's my review and I'm sure many of yours too. Worth watching for fans and it has its moments, but it's... meh.

I've seen the end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I've seen the end to Godfather. I've seen Episode 1 intro on growth hormones. I've seen King Kong. You know exactly what parts I'm talking about... and because you know what parts I'm talking about and why this post is amusing to you, that's exactly why this is: meh.

We deserved better than this from a Boba Fett series.
i thought it was acceptable and there was silly cheese in abundance. I'm a simple man and dumbfuckery like this doesnt offend me, especially from a company who still doesnt understand why fans love star wars. loved.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The speeder bike guild was annoying as fuck, but other than that I'm good with this. Cheesiness and all.
1644484025558.png

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I am a little surprised that Filoni let someone else direct Cad Bane's swan song... but good that there were some stakes associated with the whole deal.

I still gotta wonder who the fuck are all these people arriving on Tatooine daily

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Episode 6 was probably the strongest "appeal to Filoniverse and OG fans at same time" episode of the run, including Mando.

You had Luke, R2, Yoda callbacks, Ashoka, and Cad Bane all in a single episode.
I feel like these are separate things and shouldn't be lumped together.
Sure but I was referring to the above quote. Episode 6 was great for fans of the filoniverse and fans of the prequels. It was hot garbage for fans of the original trilogy.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Dislike

Sterling

El Presidente
That's a weird take. I like the FIloni stuff, but I'm definitely in the OT > everything after it camp. Sorry, but this show outside of episodes 5 and 6 is basically in the prequels/force awakens tier. It's basically trash but at least it isn't aggressively as shitty as Last Jedi, so it's not the literal worst shit in star wars but it's not that far from it.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
I am a little surprised that Filoni let someone else direct Cad Bane's swan song... but good that there were some stakes associated with the whole deal.

I still gotta wonder who the fuck are all these people arriving on Tatooine daily

yeah end of the day it doesn't really matter but the size of Mos Espa was kinda nuts. How the fuck does this area support so many people? Where is all the water and food coming from? Why on earth are so many people coming to Tatooine on the reg? Go build a damn Halo ring world around tatooine and capture a few ice asteroids and you got yourself an infinitely better paradise. Its PG star wars so I know its never gonna happen but it woulda been far more interesting to see the Hutts/Pykes/Syndicate use Tatooine as a slave planet, sort of a spin on the Sardaukar of Dune. An extremely harsh, "kill or be killed" world where the inhabitants evolve to be the best survivors in the galaxy, instead of vespa tards.

but instead we get goofy ass shit, like it was bizarre how the streets were empty some scenes but in other scenes it was full of people MANNING STALLS while a goddamn Rancor was running around. Why did the Pykes send the human foot soldiers AHEAD of the Scorpion droids and let like 100 soldiers die? Why wouldn't the Pykes contract out all the killing to the sub bosses? lol

Filoni did what he could to make parts of the series better, but end of the day woof it was some extremely shitty world building with no real thought put into "so how would this world work? Who has power, and how do they keep it?" The mayor is another great example, he literally has zero manpower/soldiers but yet somehow is constantly at the center of things. Its a ludicrous character, just like Boba Fett.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Jive Turkey

Karen
yeah end of the day it doesn't really matter but the size of Mos Espa was kinda nuts. How the fuck does this area support so many people? Where is all the water and food coming from? Why on earth are so many people coming to Tatooine on the reg? Go build a damn Halo ring world around tatooine and capture a few ice asteroids and you got yourself an infinitely better paradise. Its PG star wars so I know its never gonna happen but it woulda been far more interesting to see the Hutts/Pykes/Syndicate use Tatooine as a slave planet, sort of a spin on the Sardaukar of Dune. An extremely harsh, "kill or be killed" world where the inhabitants evolve to be the best survivors in the galaxy, instead of vespa tards.

but instead we get goofy ass shit, like it was bizarre how the streets were empty some scenes but in other scenes it was full of people MANNING STALLS while a goddamn Rancor was running around. Why did the Pykes send the human foot soldiers AHEAD of the Scorpion droids and let like 100 soldiers die? Why wouldn't the Pykes contract out all the killing to the sub bosses? lol

Filoni did what he could to make parts of the series better, but end of the day woof it was some extremely shitty world building with no real thought put into "so how would this world work? Who has power, and how do they keep it?" The mayor is another great example, he literally has zero manpower/soldiers but yet somehow is constantly at the center of things. Its a ludicrous character, just like Boba Fett.

The Pyke soldiers standing ON TOP of the roof cover instead of using it as cover is a perfect distillation of how little thought was put into a lot of this

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Pyke soldiers standing ON TOP of the roof cover instead of using it as cover is a perfect distillation of how little thought was put into a lot of this
Every 45 seconds throughout the episode has some mind-numbingly retarded shit happening. Sure, everyone hates stupid stuff like the Mod Biker Gang, but Rodriguez should really be raked over the coals for his moment to moment shit just being stupid. There is such a disconnection between what you are seeing and what conceivably should be happening. You get get more & more frustrated as you watch his retarded bullshit play out on screen.

Some directors really care about this kind of stuff (see What Writers Should Learn from George Miller's Fury Road) and then you have hacks like Robert Rodriguez who doesn't give a shit about anything making sense. I mean, why even try when you can distract the audience with Candy-Apple-Red Vespa's and CGI boom booms?

For the series as a whole, they completely did a 180 on who Boba Fett the character is. They pieced together their season by stealing full episodes from The Mandalorian. They had the entire first 3 episode amount to nothing more than filler. And they killed off Cad Bane, the only intriguing and interesting character that brought any weight to the screen. Fucking hell, this shit sucked.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Cad Bane should also have been introduced in the first or second episode. You can't introduce an enemy, present him as a huge threat, then kill him off an hour later (I doubt he's really dead). That effectively kneecaps his status from here on out. He's a dude that took an episode to eliminate.

Rodriguez really is a hack though. He puts no artistry into how he sets up a scene. Everything is just as straight forward and pedestrian as possible. Compare Bane's entrance and showdown with Vanth to the one with Boba. Thank god Filoni was around to give him some gravitas

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I think the thing that pissed me off the most about this show was the laziness. Which fits, I guess, given the actor they chose for the lead role.

- Gamorreans looked like fucking cosplay. The ones in ROTJ look like an alien race, these look like fat dudes with no shirt and a mask, and some green paint. Fucking terrible.
- Twi'leks looked like fucking cosplay, and more importantly, spoke and acted like it. Bib Fortuna in ROTJ speaks like an alien, even if he often speaks common or heavily accented common. The obnoxious Twi'lek majordomo guy was super off-putting. No effort at all to come off as an alien race, just as a dude in a costume.
- Same goes for weequays, pykes, and those dog-faced dudes. They all come off as humans in makeup/costumes, rather than alien races. There is ZERO effort at giving them different mannerisms, ways of speaking, etc.

There's tons more but I'm done giving this any more energy. All of the aliens come off as humans in cosplay, and it did a great job of cratering my interest. So fucking lazy.

Millenials suck.

-edit- to add Cad Bane was great. The ONLY good thing from this show, IMO. And a tragedy that they dispensed with him within one fucking episode. Faggots.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Seriously, the costumes and outfits, etc. took me constantly out of the setting. I feel like that main chick from the mod gang could be found 50 times if you just walked down a red light district. Nothing about any of them looked like Star Wars. Same with the mod shop Fennec went to. I'd expect that shop to be run by some hacked up medical droid or some shit, not some rando dude from the St. Louis hood.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

yeah, the mayor was the middle man between the locals and the Pykes. the Pykes were using the biker gang (not the Skittles faggots) as local muscle to make sure all went smoothly with the spice trade. only problem with all that was Bib Fortune was already that middle man, it was explained he took over from Jabba and has been working with the Pykes and locals. so the mayor is still non essential. there really was no point in having a mayor while Bib was slapping his dick on the table. when Boba killed him, there should have been an immediate power vacuum and the Pykes shoud have approached Boba first thing. who approached him? the fucking mayor. that was complete retardation. you cant have two middle men crime lords running the same piece of turf. Bib with all his muscle would eat his ass. makes you wonder where the fuck was Bib's muscle? did Boba kill them all when he took back Slave 1?

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Star Wars has a million different types of worlds it could be using, but instead we keep getting dragged back to desert planets.

Play some No Man's Sky, get some inspiration, and fuck oofffff.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Star Wars has a million different types of worlds it could be using, but instead we keep getting dragged back to desert planets.

Play some No Man's Sky, get some inspiration, and fuck oofffff.
We saw a forest planet for the new Academy. Which was being deforested by Luke's bots...

• 1Like