The Book of Boba Fett

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Jetfire was my favorite because it was a Veritech fighter. The original toy was a straight rip off from Robotech/Macross.
i've watched every macross and the vf1 will always be my favorite

hell, tbh even the original sdf macross is my favorite too (they made a few other macross battleships), they use so much cgi and crap that i find it difficult to really tell whats happening w/ macross vs. fleet battles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dizzam

Blackwing Lair Raider
did you grow reading a bunch of boba fett fanfic? (ie the books and shit which are non-canon) If so then yeah you'll probably hate the show since its nothing like that.

If all you know about boba fett is the movies and season 2 of the mandalorian? Then this show is pretty much exactly what you expected. The only real facepalm so far is the fucking rainbow vespas in episode 3, those were fucking gay. Everything else so far has been showing how boba fett escaped the sarlaac, recooperated, and gaining allies and building a power base to become this godfather crimelord of tattoine.

Honestly the most disappointing thing about this show so far is that they cast the old fuck Temuera Morrison from the prequels as Boba Fett. He's too old and out of shape for action sequences and the show has suffered for it. I know they can't keep his helmet on all the damn time (too much like Mandalorian) but for fucks sake, in combat is when you should wear armor, put the damn helmet on and have a 20 year old stuntman film all the fights scenes ffs.

But more than just that, as much as we'd all love for them to gradually retcon the sequel trilogy garbage out of canon in favor of the favreau/filoni-universe I'd be equally happy with them retconning the prequels out as well, episodes 1-3 were just as garbage as 7-9. using the same actor reinforces the prequels, despite it being a huge detriment to the show since we're filming 20 years later, despite the events happening only 5 years after we last saw boba fett in return of the jedi.

Couldn’t agree more. The Boba Fett actor ruined the show. He just looks sad in his armor. Always looks like he has a beer gut. Admittedly I don’t know much Star Wars lore, but isn’t Boba supposed to be the an elite bounty hunter? I just laugh every time it shows tubby in his armor. It also doesn’t help that Mando is also a bounty hunter and way cooler.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Do they de-age him? They have to right?

True story: ILM hired Shamook the youtube deepfake guru that clowned on their Luke de-aging in Mando:

At the very least it'll be better than ILM's de-aged Luke in s2e8 of mando. Same guy did the Han Solo deepfake which was phenomenal so he won't be starting from scratch:

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
True story: ILM hired Shamook the youtube deepfake guru that clowned on their Luke de-aging in Mando:

At the very least it'll be better than ILM's de-aged Luke in s2e8 of mando. Same guy did the Han Solo deepfake which was phenomenal so he won't be starting from scratch:

its really hard to get the eyes just right. this guy is a master at it

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The deep fake in the show was disastrous. Its like the character was out of phase for the universe or something and blurred. They could have found better than some random youtuber to do the deep fakes, but there was like a huge outcry iirc, about the guy being soooo awesome and great with the software from SW fans.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
yes, de-aging, like with Luke in Mando s2. did you watch Mando?
Yes. Did you read my post? Non-de-aged boba fett and a de-aged
harrison ford han solo
is going to be jarring as fuck. Even if its a flash back scene its still obvious one is 5 years older, the other is 20+ years older and 30 lbs fatter.

From what we saw in mando and the beginning of this show i thought they were gonna hide his age with the saarlacc acid bath scarring, but nope they bacta tanked him to full health. Yet hes still fucking old.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The deep fake in the show was disastrous. Its like the character was out of phase for the universe or something and blurred. They could have found better than some random youtuber to do the deep fakes, but there was like a huge outcry iirc, about the guy being soooo awesome and great with the software from SW fans.
that same guy did the botch job for deepfake Luke? they must have rushed that scene.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
that same guy did the botch job for deepfake Luke? they must have rushed that scene.
What? No he didn't.

Shamook was hired after he clowned on ILM's Luke de-aging like I said. ILM didn't use deepfake technology for their luke, it was all CGI over Mark Hamill's body double. Shamook's deepfake was so much better ILM hired him shortly after the season ended, presumably so that they'd get him before Disney does.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What? No he didn't.

Shamook was hired after he clowned on ILM's Luke de-aging like I said. ILM didn't use deepfake technology for their luke, it was all CGI over Mark Hamill's body double. Shamook's deepfake was so much better ILM hired him shortly after the season ended, presumably so that they'd get him before Disney does.
ok. was gonna say. shamook's work is leaps and bounds better than that Mando Luke scene. More artists need to study this shit. de-aging is the next big thing in CGI and the money to be made is top notch.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
His deepfake Luke was done over the Mando CGI face so he couldn't improve on the uncanny facial animations, but it was still a LOT better than ILM's Luke. Same with his work on Rogue One's Leia. It was mapped over a CGI face that was itself composited over a different actress so the eyes were still off.

If they start the deepfakes from scratch off a human face, it produces far better results like that Solo deepfake.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Yes, I should have done a better job in what I was saying. Shamooks or w/e's stuff is better, but I've also seen better stuff than his. Which Is what I was trying to impart upon that post. The original deep fake artist cant hold a candle to Shamooks work, however.
Having to take hundreds of pictures of a face at different angles and then let it bake in an algo for a couple hours - then have someone that has a good attention to detail to work through whats good and whats not with the results, and then run it back through the algo, rinse/repeat, is quite intensive. So it just felt like the original deep fake artist didnt have a grasp of what he was doing in comparison to someone with at least a basic understanding of it.

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
In case you missed this very subtle easter egg and throwback.

3BE4519B-7B02-4346-AEB8-8BFC780150A2.jpeg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Daidraco

Something like that being stolen while its running seems.. unbelievable. But I have no mechanic knowledge of how star wars engines work. ;d But ya, totally an easter egg lol

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
It was canon up until the point that Disney bought the rights and then chucked everything non movies overboard.
Except no, it wasnt. George would put his stamp of approval on anyone writing him a check but even he claimed that none of the eu shit was ever canon.

Most of the EU shit was such shitty fan fic that even fans and authors maintained lists of which books the fandom considered "canon" vs "non-canon" but according to lucas only the movies and clone wars animated series was ever considered canon. Not even the novelization of the movies were sacred.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL @ Canon. Like who gives a shit what Lucas says. Hes the one that ran the fucking thing to the ground. So people took up their pens and started writing shit in and around the SW universe. Some good some bad but whatevs.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
LOL @ Canon. Like who gives a shit what Lucas says. Hes the one that ran the fucking thing to the ground. So people took up their pens and started writing shit in and around the SW universe. Some good some bad but whatevs.
George is still the bitter bitch he always was. he literally gave us Kathleen Kennedy knowing she was a shit tier glorified coffee girl.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
George is still the bitter bitch he always was. he literally gave us Kathleen Kennedy knowing she was a shit tier glorified coffee girl.

right place and time. there wasnt another qualified successor in his immediate circle

• 1Like