The Dallas Cowboys Memorial (2015 Off-Season) Thread

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3 years, let's not get ahead of ourselves. He still traded up for Claiborne and if people hadn't talked him out of it, we'd have Manziel on the roster right now. What we have now are people willing to tell him no and not afraid of the consequences of doing so.
Don't pin Claiborne on him, everybody was all aboard that move.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Consider also, most teams that are able to draft a QB high are either so bad they had a high pick or are mediocre teams who are managed so poorly that they are willing to spend too much trading up. So in some cases its definitely setting people up to fail putting them on these teams that can't field a good line to run or pass protect, then expecting the QB to work some magic trick in staying alive long enough for someone to be open or finish a route.

A lot of those same teams get stuck in a "win right now" cycle of expectations with the constant changing of guards at coach and in the front office. It takes some seasons to start getting the long term plan clicking. But it seems like the bottom half franchises all just overreact constantly, or the fans do while the cheapass owner just keeps hiring some bargain bin staff to make the dupes think he's trying to improve something.
I have fantasized that Jed York had decided that Kaepernick is not the answer and realizes that the only way to build a dynasty is to draft an elite quarterback so he is deliberately torpedoing the team in order to get that top 5 draft pick to draft the next Andrew Luck and set up the next 49ers dynasty. I know that is giving him way too much credit though
frown.png

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Outside of Harbaugh, what part of the 49ers implosion can really be blamed on him?
That depends on how many of these retirements are genuine, and how many are creating such a work environment that people are willing to take a year off to break their contracts.

And even then we won't KNOW how many of those retirements were fake, and how many were initially genuine but turned into lack of funds.

Edit: Aside from the usual "The Buck Stops Here" arguments, of course. In the 49ers defense, wasn't it only last year that ESPN had the 49ers pegged as one of the organizations best suited to win over the next five years?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I didn't think you could break contracts. Honestly, from what I know, these guys have no other option but to play for SF no matter what they want unless either SF gives them a release or hell freezes over. I think paragraph 16 of the CBA says this. They may not want to play for the 49'ers but they don't really have any other option outside of permanent retirement

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
You can't legally break a contract that way, but teams generally do release the player, without even going after the prorated portion of the signing bonus the players are legally obligated to return.

That said, if all these former 49ers suddenly show up on teams next year, I suspect the 49ers' lawyers will be busy.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You can't legally break a contract that way, but teams generally do release the player, without even going after the prorated portion of the signing bonus the players are legally obligated to return.

That said, if all these former 49ers suddenly show up on teams next year, I suspect the 49ers' lawyers will be busy.
What? You really think teams release players whenever they retire?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This preseason game went to hell early on as soon as Flacco thought the Eagles had signed Rahim Moore.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Miami panthers game. Can't believe the second quarter challenge of a touchdown by Miami ended up with a touchback on review. Not sure I've seen that before.

Those that didn't see it, Miami picks Newton. First down run to the pylon was super close. Philbin challenges that it was a TD. Closer look shows runner lost possession of the ball a fraction of a second before it goes out of bound at the pylon. Ruling was touchback and panthers ball.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Miami panthers game. Can't believe the second quarter challenge of a touchdown by Miami ended up with a touchback on review. Not sure I've seen that before.

Those that didn't see it, Miami picks Newton. First down run to the pylon was super close. Philbin challenges that it was a TD. Closer look shows runner lost possession of the ball a fraction of a second before it goes out of bound at the pylon. Ruling was touchback and panthers ball.
That's Miami just getting into regular season form. Wait until you see what kind of stuff happens to us in the regular season! Still Miami looked solid with the 1st stringers. Depth is a bit of concern though.

Panthers didn't look too hot, though. I'd be a little nervous if I was a fan of them.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

Lolphins.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Carson Palmer looked great tonight, may I even say elite. Of course that means he is going to get injured in week 7 and end our season.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love Carson in daily fantasy week one. It's good to hear this. I already played him in a few lineups.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Tap the breaks on that "they look good" talk. Quick reminder that the 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in preseason.

I lol'd at people bitching about Suggs going after Bradford. His response was perfect, "If you want to run the read option with your starting quarterback that's had two knee surgeries, that's on you."

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I really think that sometimes the only coaches that try to win in preseason are the ones that know their team is garbage and want to try to give them a little confidence.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Guess which quarterback looked aaaaamaaaaaaazing last night against the Colts?