The Dallas Cowboys Memorial (2015 Off-Season) Thread

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I don't follow college but it seems like it's more about a lack of actual QB teaching than anything. Like they'll take this athletic guy who can throw it halfway decent and make him the signal caller and it mostly works because it's college. So no focus on fundamentals, little to no advancement on actual QB play. Drop back, one, maybe two progression reads, and either throw or run. And then these guys have success that most likely is only partly because of them, and NFL teams that need a QB feel pressure to go after them. And most of teams convince themselves that they can coach these guys up to the NFL level.

It never works. The guys who have success were already good QBs who had the fundamentals down and just needed time to adjust to the game. In some cases the curve is lower (see: Luck) but others need time to learn (see: Rodgers). Some can fake it (see: Eli) but far too many can't even do that. And then because they never really got coached up in College, they just fail. Those that don't are so few and far between than it's a wonder teams even bother to try.
So we go back to 1985 when QB's sat for a minimum of four years learning the system. I personally like that, but it will never happen.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I have said for he last few years that tossing these fresh out of college QB's into games is the equivalent of tossing them into a meat grinder. Some of them definitely need mentors. For these its already to late.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I agree and it's largely because of owners bowing to public pressure. They're not necessarily making less money if they spend time coaching up a QB, especially if the team is already a dumpster fire, but they have to at least pretend to care to satiate the masses. Browns owner has this down pretty good. Snyder does too. I'm sure York will be there soon enough.

That's partially why I'm worried about the post-Romo years. Jerry has stepped back a lot in the last few seasons, and people managed to convince him that Johnny-idiot-face was a bad pick but that was on the strength of them still having Romo. I fear that with no viable solution on hand Jerry is going to jump at the first QB to cross his desk with a modicum of college success with no regard to whether or not he might actually succeed.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Well, he needs to get romo's replacement drafted in a hurry so he can start seasoning him. It was a rough ride going from aikman to romo (remember quincy carter?), I think jones learned his lesson from that fiasco. I hope he learned his lesson anyway. I guess the question is, what's the ideal amount of time for a young QB to sit on the bench maturing? I figure 2 years.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Well, he needs to get romo's replacement drafted in a hurry so he can start seasoning him. It was a rough ride going from aikman to romo (remember quincy carter?), I think jones learned his lesson from that fiasco. I hope he learned his lesson anyway. I guess the question is, what's the ideal amount of time for a young QB to sit on the bench maturing? I figure 2 years.
Jones has learned nothing. This dude finally gets the ship righted again, and in SB contention. Now he starts bringing in "bad" people again to fuck up the locker room and chemistry. He will make the same mistake with life after Romo. I was one of the few that thought he SHOULD bring in Manziel. Let that dude sit a few years behind Romo. I'm making the assumption that Manziel will be good of course.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm with you on manziel. He might be ruined now, but I think a couple 3 years sitting behind romo and Johnny would have been a good player. But tell me when jerry stopped bringing in bad people. He's always had a soft spot for troubled players.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Yeah, I'm not sure that's an accurate statement. I mean, who's bad? You can say Dez but he hasn't been in trouble in years and the on field stuff is just that, on field stuff. You can say Hardy but he hasn't had any incidents since the accusation and when the brawl with STL happened the other day he was one of the few that walked away from it. Maybe Randle? Ok, yeah, stealing is bad. He's on probation.

Who else?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Here's the thing...He had good pocket presence prior to Shanahan not pulling him out that playoff game.
He didn't get 'pulled out' of that playoff game. His knee gave out. He shouldn't have even played that playoff game. And he had pocket presence before that due to confidence in his legs. Now he doesn't even have that to fall back on.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He didn't get 'pulled out' of that playoff game. His knee gave out. He shouldn't have even played that playoff game. And he had pocket presence before that due to confidence in his legs. Now he doesn't even have that to fall back on.
He said Shanahan did NOT pull him out of that game. I'm not convinced he should have been playing either, but at the start, even with 80% RG3 Skins marched down the field twice and were up 14-0 before you could blink. Wheels fell off when he really tweaked the knee badly on the play before his 2nd TD pass. After that he could barely walk and Shanahan should have pulled him out immediately. The eventual play/ACL tear was only a matter of time at that point, especially on that shit field. His wasn't the only ACL to go that day if I recall.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
He said Shanahan did NOT pull him out of that game. I'm not convinced he should have been playing either, but at the start, even with 80% RG3 Skins marched down the field twice and were up 14-0 before you could blink. Wheels fell off when he really tweaked the knee badly on the play before his 2nd TD pass. After that he could barely walk and Shanahan should have pulled him out immediately. The eventual play/ACL tear was only a matter of time at that point, especially on that shit field. His wasn't the only ACL to go that day if I recall.
Whoops I am an idiot. I swear I can read.

And you are correct about not the only ACL tear that day. We lost Chris Clemons on that field to an ACL tear as well.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Whoops I am an idiot. I swear I can read.

And you are correct about not the only ACL tear that day. We lost Chris Clemons on that field to an ACL tear as well.
That's right, I remember the bitching both ways because losing Clemons hurt you guys big going forward. Not that I think RG3's knee was going to be in good shape either way, but the field was horrific.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yeah, I'm not sure that's an accurate statement. I mean, who's bad? You can say Dez but he hasn't been in trouble in years and the on field stuff is just that, on field stuff. You can say Hardy but he hasn't had any incidents since the accusation and when the brawl with STL happened the other day he was one of the few that walked away from it. Maybe Randle? Ok, yeah, stealing is bad. He's on probation.

Who else?
Hardy. THE poster child for POS.

moontayle

Golden Squire
So one guy who was accused and charged of DA, who had the charges dropped because they didn't have a winnable jury trial case, and who only has this one incident against him. That's the team going after "bad guys"? They signed him to a one-year deal, and one that protected the team should he actually turn out to be a piece of shit. It's actually one of the smarter moves the Cowboys have made in recent years. Low risk, high reward.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
They are the Cowboys. Of course they are full of shitlords.
smile.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Jerry Jones = Al Davis 2.0

Owners should never be GMs in this day and age. It just doesn't work.

Jerry is a great businessman, and can money hand over fist, but he cannot be the decision maker for a modern day NFL team. It took Al Davis dying to put the Raiders slowly back on the right path, it might take the same to ever get the Cowboys back to consistent Super Bowl contention.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It's going to be a lot harder for teams to be consistently in the superbowl now that you cannot just buy your way to titles. That's why despite all the bullshit the Patriots of the last decade+have been so impressive.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So one guy who was accused and charged of DA, who had the charges dropped because they didn't have a winnable jury trial case, and who only has this one incident against him. That's the team going after "bad guys"? They signed him to a one-year deal, and one that protected the team should he actually turn out to be a piece of shit. It's actually one of the smarter moves the Cowboys have made in recent years. Low risk, high reward.
My point being that Jerry and the Boys constantly do this sort of thing when they get close. It has backfired on them almost every time. From Pacman to Owens. Now Hardy. Your Boys were a bad call away from the NFC championship (I personally think they would have beaten Seattle)...tweak it a bit.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I don't follow college but it seems like it's more about a lack of actual QB teaching than anything. Like they'll take this athletic guy who can throw it halfway decent and make him the signal caller and it mostly works because it's college. So no focus on fundamentals, little to no advancement on actual QB play. Drop back, one, maybe two progression reads, and either throw or run. And then these guys have success that most likely is only partly because of them, and NFL teams that need a QB feel pressure to go after them. And most of teams convince themselves that they can coach these guys up to the NFL level.

It never works. The guys who have success were already good QBs who had the fundamentals down and just needed time to adjust to the game. In some cases the curve is lower (see: Luck) but others need time to learn (see: Rodgers). Some can fake it (see: Eli) but far too many can't even do that. And then because they never really got coached up in College, they just fail. Those that don't are so few and far between than it's a wonder teams even bother to try.
I disagree with this. Tannehill didn't have the fundamentals down. He was just willing to listen and finally got a good OC and coaches to teach him. He's not some special snowflake(beyond high end talent) but a guy who had the proper environment to learn and the willingness to learn. That is what these teams need.

Redskins...let's change HCs systems, ect over and over. Duh, no success. Alex Smith early, lots of systems and coaches and lots of failure. Same with Cleveland, etc,etc. If you get a new QB, don't change everything up frequently and actually have a good idea of the coach you want and what the synergy of the HC/QB is going to be. Shanahan and RG was only going to work in the right circumstances. Manziel isn't the answer right now and maybe never. You have to groom the, train them, and mold your system to get the best results. Not for a year or 2 for for as long as it takes. I don't understand why you would waste all that time, effort, energy, and money on a higher end draft pick and then not do everything possible to make them successful. If that means two years sitting, then two years it is. Get that backup and find weapons. because RG 3 is wasted picks at this time and will probably always be wasted picks. And it didn't have to be that way. There isn't a mystical formula here.