The Dallas Cowboys Memorial (2015 Off-Season) Thread

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm hoping for the Browns . Manziel and Winston on the same team practically writes itself.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
The best bet the 49ers have is to draft a QB that will be their passer in the next 2-3 years and run Kaepernick like the true non real QB he is and ride that shit until his wheels fall off and have a real QB developing.
I actually completely agree with this and have said it all year. Kaep will never be a pocket passer, so stop trying to make him be one. Keep him on the move as much as possible, whether it be through run option or roll out passes, and let him use his athleticism until it fails him. Not sure how good those college QB prospects look though, especially in this years draft.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I agree let Kaep run. The defense and offensive weapons had been good enough to make up for what ever short comings he had. They were a scary team the last few years following that formula.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well, Steve Young made some good comments about Kaep, Vick, Cam, etc. Essentially, the guys who are deemed to be more RB than QB. The reason they aren't developing quickly as "passers" is because they've never had to. They've been able to get by and have success by just using their legs. Obviously, in the NFL, that only takes you so far/works so long. And as Young was saying, for guys that have never been forced to do it, it takeslongerfor them to develop as passers, because they are justnowstarting to use/develop skills they've previously never had to.

I think it's hard to just throw your hands up after 1 down year and say, "Nope, that guy will NEVER be a pocket passer. Fuck him!". Kaepernick is never going to be Marino, obviously, but he still needs to developsomepasser skills. As shitty as he looked this year (which there's a myriad of reasons for. Injuries, locker room drama, media, etc.), it isn't like the guy hasn't shown flashes of being able to do some incredible shit. Now, I get that hating on the guy is the popular thing to do. I enjoy the Squidward memes just as much as anyone. Plus, a lot of 49er fans have gotten extremely obnoxious over the past few years. However, take off the blinders for a second and look at the guy's resume. The dude led his team back from a 17-0 deficit, on the road, to play in the Super Bowl, in his first ever season (half a season, really) as a starter. And he was a play away from leading them back there again in 2013 - against the vaunted Seahawks defense in the most hostile environment in all of sports.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll be interested in Kaeperbro when he stops wasting 2-4 timeouts a game being saved from delay of game penalties because he cant run a fucking offense. That's a much bigger problem than his difficulty developing as a passer.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
If you wait until you're in the NFL before you start seriously developing your passing, it's already too late.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'll be interested in Kaeperbro when he stops wasting 2-4 timeouts a game being saved from delay of game penalties because he cant run a fucking offense. That's a much bigger problem than his difficulty developing as a passer.
That's something that has been a huge issue ever since Harbaugh took over. I don't know if it's a Harbaugh thing, Roman thing, or what. Alex Smith had all kinds of issues with getting the snap off in time also. San Francisco led the league in delay of game penalties in 2011 (10), 2012 (11), 2013 (13), and 2014 (8). It actually got a lot better this year. It's also skewed a bit over 2011-13 because the 49ers played more games versus some of the other teams that are near/at the top in the category.

EDIT:
If you wait until you're in the NFL before you start seriously developing your passing, it's already too late.
Really? Because Steve Young admitted that he had to develop as a passer in the NFL also. He was used to using his legs at the time.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It got better this year because they were better at anticipating when Kaeperbro would be unable to get the play off so they could save him with a timeout.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It got better this year because they were better at anticipating when Kaeperbro would be unable to get the play off so they could save him with a timeout.
And the 3 years prior they just said fuck it? Like I said, it has been an issue ever since Harbaugh took over. Kansas City had 1 Delay of Game this year and 6 in 2013. Both years with Smith at the helm. Compared to 2011 with the 49ers, where they had 10. 2012 had 11, Smith and Kaep both had 4. The stats make me think it was a Harbaugh/Roman problem. Breaking it down by player paints a much different picture..

2011: Tebow led the league with 8, Smith had 4
2012: Rivers led the league with 8, Smith and Kaep had 4
2013: Kaep and Brees led the league with 8, Smith had 5
2014: Kaep led the league with 6, Wilson and Brees had 5

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As if Holmgren's is any better? I realize you think he's a good coach because he gave you guys your first SB win in 30+ years, but what is his claim to fame? Riding Reggie White and Favre to a title and a shitshow performance against the same Bronco team you're butthurt about? And let's be honest, it was Mariucci who groomed Favre - Favre has even admitted that himself.
Actually not butthurt about the Broncos at all. I like the franchise and its history, especially John Elway. If anything Holmgren's job hunting in Seattle and the subsequent lack of focus in the second SB cost us that game and I completely agree that Holmgren is not a great HC. The Packers success in the 90s was mostly about Ron Wolf's eye for talent and Holmgren's ability to groom Favre. Holmgren is the guy who taught Any Reid and McFatty their stupendous time management skills, for example. What I am saying is that A) Mike Holmgren is average while Shannahan is a total disaster with no redeeming qualities, and B) Holmgren can groom a rough QB into something good. With that in mind, if you know the team is going to go through a ton of changes and retirements/FA losses in the next couple hears, bringing in Holmgren to polish Kaeperbro and then fire him after two 8-8 seasons to bring in someone hungry, young, and talented to benefit from that work would not be a bad move. He would at least put butts in the seats while you retool the team. Basically, bring him in to take the fall for the mediocrity while you sort out Kaep. This assumes you want to retain Kaep, of course.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
There's so much hyperbole involved with the notion that the 49ers need to "retool" everything. Jesus Christ, they have one down season and suddenly we're the Oakland Raiders and in total rebuild mode. Bringing in an "old glory" coach on a 2 year rental seems like a horrible solution. If you want to bring a guy in just to "mentor" Kaep, that can be accomplished without bringing the guy in as a HC, having Kaep learn an entirely new scheme, only to have to start all over in another 2 years. Constantly rotating HCs and OCs is one of the big issues that people used to defend Alex Smith with - "How can a guy be successful if he's constantly having to change schemes!?". I think repeating that will be a mistake.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
And the 3 years prior they just said fuck it? Like I said, it has been an issue ever since Harbaugh took over. Kansas City had 1 Delay of Game this year and 6 in 2013. Both years with Smith at the helm. Compared to 2011 with the 49ers, where they had 10. 2012 had 11, Smith and Kaep both had 4. The stats make me think it was a Harbaugh/Roman problem. Breaking it down by player paints a much different picture..

2011: Tebow led the league with 8, Smith had 4
2012: Rivers led the league with 8, Smith and Kaep had 4
2013: Kaep and Brees led the league with 8, Smith had 5
2014: Kaep led the league with 6, Wilson and Brees had 5
At some point (I think it was) last season Harbaugh mentioned that they were changing the way the plays were called in to help avoid the delay of games and wasted time outs. It most definitely was a Harbaugh/Roman problem.

Also, I haven't lost faith in Kaep yet. In watching the games it was obvious that a lot of his struggles weren't on him alone especially early in the season. This season Kaep had to deal with:

-The offensive line going from one of the best to one of the worst, especially when it comes to pass protection.
-Vernon Davis having a Shaun Alexander-esq collapse.
-Anquan Boldin having more drops in one season then the rest of his career combined.
-Michael Crabtree proving Richard Sherman right.
-Greg Roman abandoning their winning formula of running the ball for the spread offense, because that will fool everybody.

Not to say that some of Kaep's struggles weren't all his own, but if he spends the offseason working with a QB coach rather than making commercials and rufi-ing bitches and they find a head-coach that will utilize the power run game to help his development along rather than someone who says "okay, you are getting paid, time for you to chuck the ball all over the field" he might still have a chance to develop.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Not to say that some of Kaep's struggles weren't all his own, but if he spends the offseason working with a QB coach rather than making commercials and rufi-ing bitches and they find a head-coach that will utilize the power run game to help his development along rather than someone who says "okay, you are getting paid, time for you to chuck the ball all over the field" he might still have a chance to develop.
Colin Kaepernick to train with Kurt Warner this offseason | ProFootballTalk

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sure it will be the Cowboys offseason after this weekend so you can change the thread title again.

moontayle

Golden Squire
he's+right+you+know.jpg

I ain't even mad tho.