The Eating on a Budget Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
rice is difficult to keep for frozen/meal prep, unless slathered in sauce i.e. curry/paella etc. Good resilient rice is short grain white rice and basmati, risotto works well, however arborio is no where on the cheap end.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Bread means fresh which means the need to visit the store often, which is the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve.
oh, i saw bulk lunch making and didnt see the fresh part. i buy italian bread from the iconic italian bakery, Calandra's, freeze half the loaf and i have"fresh" bread all week.
calnwk-085_d62c3e25-5056-a36f-2335494f4610b9a3.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
oh, i saw bulk lunch making and didnt see the fresh part. i buy italian bread from the iconic italian bakery, Calandra's, freeze half the loaf and i have"fresh" bread all week.
calnwk-085_d62c3e25-5056-a36f-2335494f4610b9a3.jpg

I've considered something like this but I've never been a fan of thawed bread, and I'm also trying to cut out carb sources as much as possible as frozen veggies/noodles/rice already has me eating far more than I want to.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
They have a new dollar store in a small town between here and where I go to the hospital. I stopped in there the other day in a hurry. It's more like a supermarket with a dollar store built onto it. Maybe 3 isles of freezer food and fresh produce. Seemed odd to me, maybe it's a new thing. I rarely go in the one here. It is considerable larger than the one here as well.

Last edited:

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I've considered something like this but I've never been a fan of thawed bread, and I'm also trying to cut out carb sources as much as possible as frozen veggies/noodles/rice already has me eating far more than I want to.
Replace the bread with a couple leaves of lettuce.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Update - been doing eggs, boneless skinless chicken thighs, tilapia, spinach, rice, pasta. It's actually pretty wild at how much over a period of time I'm saving. Definitely adds up.

Have yet to check out Aldi's... Eventually.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Bread means fresh which means the need to visit the store often, which is the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve.

weird, I have 2 loafs of bread from cosco in my freezer right now, can toast slices up perfectly from the freezer or put a loaf in the fridge, let it thaw, and toast for like 20 seconds for a normal piece of sandwich bread.

I won't buy more bread till I go to cosco again in three or four weeks.

I'll just assume the new 'impossible to eat cheap' gotcha is gonna be freezers cost money or something.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
weird, I have 2 loafs of bread from cosco in my freezer right now, can toast slices up perfectly from the freezer or put a loaf in the fridge, let it thaw, and toast for like 20 seconds for a normal piece of sandwich bread.

I won't buy more bread till I go to cosco again in three or four weeks.

I'll just assume the new 'impossible to eat cheap' gotcha is gonna be freezers cost money or something.

It's a pickyness issue with me. I don't like freezing anything that has been cooked or is usually meant to eat fresh. My mother had a really bad idiotic habit of leaving things out to thaw and then refreezing them, or freezing things that had been sitting around for too long after cooking. Anything that isn't usually frozen in the food process triggers my brain as "this is bad, don't eat it" And I'm not a fan of bread in the first place outside of the first 1-2 days when it's really nice and fresh, which the freezer messes with IMO.

• 1Seriously?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It's a pickyness issue with me. I don't like freezing anything that has been cooked or is usually meant to eat fresh. My mother had a really bad idiotic habit of leaving things out to thaw and then refreezing them, or freezing things that had been sitting around for too long after cooking. Anything that isn't usually frozen in the food process triggers my brain as "this is bad, don't eat it" And I'm not a fan of bread in the first place outside of the first 1-2 days when it's really nice and fresh, which the freezer messes with IMO.

guess it's impossible for you to eat cheap and it's definitely not your fault

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The fuck are you talking about? When did I ever say I wanted to eat cheap?

I thought you were one of the ones complaining about everything being so expensive in your area. I could have you mistaken

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I thought you were one of the ones complaining about everything being so expensive in your area. I could have you mistaken

Ahh, no. I mean, shit is ridiculously expensive in my area (Canada has some pretty fucked up food prices) but that's just the way things go here.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Its fine to freeze bread if you're going to toast/grill it IMO, but I'd never freeze bread that I'd be expecting to eat untoasted. French toast is another option for frozen bread.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol, thats Khane, he's the one who cant eat anything outside of Trader Joes and Whole Foods because their veggie game is not up to his standards.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Its fine to freeze bread if you're going to toast/grill it IMO, but I'd never freeze bread that I'd be expecting to eat untoasted. French toast is another option for frozen bread.
I'm too lazy for this now, but when I was taking sandwiches to school for lunch, I'd make it on frozen bread in the morning (usually peanut butter and jelly), and toss it in my Dukes of Hazzard lunch box. By the time lunch came around, it was defrosted and just fine for eating.

Nowadays, I'd have multiple cold pouches and my FitPacker crap and it would never defrost, but if you really want it, frozen bread doesn't have to be an obstacle.

• 1Like