The Elder Scrolls Online

Blackwulf

N00b
I just spent time reading and watching a few... I will summarize.... the reviewers give it a resounding "meh,"
I read through quite a few, and watched some of the gameplay. There are tons of positives and quite a lot of negatives. I think, basically, if you want to find a way to like this game, you will, and if you are determined to not like it, you'll easily find reasons not to. No big surprise. I'm happy enough to see that enough people are interested that it will at least last for a while, and I'll get my entertainment value out of it.

Dont any of you fuckers work like real men? WTF?
Sure, but I took a personal day
smile.png

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The problem with all the dopey reviewers is that they were expecting Skyrim but in a world of 3000 people. That's impossible to make right now. They were expecting a Skyrim that was an MMO instead of an MMO that was based on Skyrim. There's a difference.

That doesn't speak to the quality of the game in a negative or positive way for me, but I think too many people are going into the game with the wrong expectations. Which is mostly due to the nature of the IP than anything else.

It's a shame all the reviewers are a little naive.

I love elder scrolls games but man this is basically multiplayer skyrim using hero engine , why did this have to suck so bad, I so wanted this to be great let alone good even.

The problem with all the dopey reviewers is that they were expecting Skyrim but in a world of 3000 people. That's impossible to make right now. They were expecting a Skyrim that was an MMO instead of an MMO that was based on Skyrim. There's a difference.

That doesn't speak to the quality of the game in a negative or positive way for me, but I think too many people are going into the game with the wrong expectations. Which is mostly due to the nature of the IP than anything else.

It's a shame all the reviewers are a little naive.
Blaming the reviewers for not understanding the genre? Seriously? I think some of those reviewers are pretty hardcore players and they have a good handle on the problems in the context of the genre and the history of the single player game.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'm not blaming them, I said "Which is mostly due to the nature of the IP than anything else." Zenimax only have themselves to blame.

However, if you're not retarded, you couldn't of been going into this game and really expecting to find some nerd fantasy of an open world Skyrim game made for 1000s of simultaneous players. That's an unreasonable expectation regardless of the title of the game. So to review the game and say "it's not Skyrim!" is kind of dumb because, well no shit it's not skyrim you should of expected it.

That's not to say that you can't criticize the game for being a retarded quest treadmill game with mediocre writing, voice acting, stupid quests, and shitty feeling combat. Essentially a bad rehash of the MMO genre with a well respected IP.

spronk

FPS noob
5 minute loading screens are pretty awesome in a game where you zone into a loading screen every 2 minutes

watching the winter olympics is more fun than playing teso. and less gay.

it will eventually get in when you are at character or zone loading, just alt tab and do something else for a while

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The thing that will hurt them the most is the P2P model. That shit only floats these days if the game is EXCEPTIONAL. At least with B2P, like GW2 people will stick around for longer,maybe buy some hats or some shit.

Blackwulf

N00b
5 minute loading screens are pretty awesome in a game where you zone into a loading screen every 2 minutes

watching the winter olympics is more fun than playing teso. and less gay.

it will eventually get in when you are at character or zone loading, just alt tab and do something else for a while
Yeah, this is the first beta weekend where I've had significant load times. Server must be hammered. Hope they can ramp it up.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
That's not to say that you can't criticize the game for being a retarded quest treadmill game with mediocre writing, voice acting, stupid quests, and shitty feeling combat. Essentially a bad rehash of the MMO genre with a well respected IP.
That's pretty much exactly what all the reviews I read said. I didn't watch any of the youtube/video reviews, though.

On a side note, the 2H weapon skill "critical charge" is still hilariously broken. Most games with charge abilities don't have good pathing, but when they can't find a path they've always given you an error message/sound and simply not gone off. Not so in ESO. If you have any kind of elevation deviation, the path breaks. But instead of not going off, your character gets stuck running in place (doesn't move) and the damage is applied to the target. It's quite a good amount of damage, which is normally balanced by only being able to use it once (once you close in a minimum range you can't charge again). But since you don't move, you can just spam the button and kill a mob from safety.

When I was running down a cliff all the geometry started flashing in and out. If this isn't hero engine, they certainly managed to recreate a lot of the quirks.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game looks awful on so many levels (development, game design, combat gameplay, server infrastructure, etc) even corrupt websites like Massively frown upon Elder Scrolls Online. Zenimax really should work their PR better, reading some reviews feels like not only people were bored and confused, but they also managed to get them pissed.

So I will ask again, dont any of you fucks work for a living like real men (me) do?
If you have a job where you can't take a day whenever you want, you'd rather want to wonder about your career choices than others'.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Actually, first person works really well so far. The game is better than it was last year. My only gripe is every 5 or 10 minutes I get a big lag spike.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is the first time I've gotten a chance to play this game. Fortunately, I've played many MMOs in beta that are a lot worse than this. So... I guess it has that going for it.

The biggest problem so far... it's horrendously boring. My "expectations", seeing how it is an Elder Scrolls game, is that it would be more open-ended. It's not, not at all. I feel like I'm being led around through the history of boring MMO stories/quests.

I do like the 1st person perspective though.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lol, so I logged in to see if they improved this pos yet. I move my mouse and my character just starts spinning. Hit esc menu pops up, and the spinning continues. Immediately uninstall. Seriously wtf were they thinking.