The Elder Scrolls Online

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Aaaaand a swing and a miss! Don't kid yourself, they won't release #s until they have something awesome to say. Sometime after console release they'll make some kind of total sales brag.
The only swing and a miss was your months spent shilling this game. Months spent arguing with everyone about how TESO was going to be the Next Big Thing. Now I come back 6 months later and when I read several pages back to get an idea of how things are going, it looks like you and Rescorla are the only two people really defending the game. And when I started Googling around a bit I found even harsher criticisms than what I've read here.

As far as sales go, the only real place I found tracking sales has this:

The Elder Scrolls Online (Microsoft Windows) - Sales, Wiki, Cheats, Walkthrough, Release Date, Gameplay, ROM on VGChartz

ylPLIYN.gif

410k. And that's how long after release? And I don't know what to say when you still think that the console sales of an MMO that's done this poorly will save it, especially when AFAIK we're talking about console sales of an MMO with a sub attached to it. I can imagine that a lot of console players will balk at the idea of a sub.

If you have a better source for numbers, though, let's see it.

Blackwulf

N00b
The only swing and a miss was your months spent shilling this game. Months spent arguing with everyone about how TESO was going to be the Next Big Thing. Now I come back 6 months later and when I read several pages back to get an idea of how things are going, it looks like you and Rescorla are the only two people really defending the game. And when I started Googling around a bit I found even harsher criticisms than what I've read here.

As far as sales go, the only real place I found tracking sales has this:

The Elder Scrolls Online (Microsoft Windows) - Sales, Wiki, Cheats, Walkthrough, Release Date, Gameplay, ROM on VGChartz

ylPLIYN.gif

410k. And that's how long after release? And I don't know what to say when you still think that the console sales of an MMO that's done this poorly will save it, especially when AFAIK we're talking about console sales of an MMO with a sub attached to it. I can imagine that a lot of console players will balk at the idea of a sub.

If you have a better source for numbers, though, let's see it.
That's not remotely accurate. It doesn't reflect digital sales, especially those done through Bethesda. Seeing that number makes it clear they easily broke 1 million total, but we'll have to wait for Zenimax to decide when they feel like they want to brag. Like I said, they'll wait til they can throw console sales into the total.

Don't be so bitter, bro. You really gotta break out the old 'shill' card again? Let's try to be a bit more original. I've been very honest about the pros and cons of this game. It needs some serious attention, but it's better on day 1 than any other game with an IP I'm remotely interested in. Cyrodiil is still fun for my small guild. We are still putting a lot of hours in. Those are just the facts, bud; accept them or not, I don't care.

Just to reiterate - VGcharts is shit - they don't know shit:

All sales estimates on VGChartz are arrived at via a number of proprietrary and ever-developing methods:

Passively polling end users to find out what games they are currently purchasing and playing
Polling retail partners to find out what games and hardware they are selling
Using statistical trend fitting and historical data for similar games
Studying resell prices to determine consumer demand and inventory levels
Consulting with publishers and manufacturers to find out how many units they are introducing into the channel
All data is regularly checked against manufacturer shipments and data released publicly from other tracking firms to ensure accuracy. VGChartz holds no responsibility for the use of our data ? any business decisions made are made at your own risk.

Regional Definitions

Data is directly estimated in the following countries on a weekly basis for around 5000 SKUs using the methodology outlined above:

USA
UK
Germany
France
Japan
Collectively, we estimate that total retail game sales in these 5 countries account for around 70% of the Global market. The raw data collected in these five regions are used to produce two extrapolated charts:

Europe - UK + Germany + France extrapolated to represent the European Totals
Global - USA + Europe + Japan extrapolated to represent the Global Totals
During 2012, VGChartz has plans to produce further direct charts for Canada, Spain, Italy, Latin America, Australia and Asia - each new chart will provide more regional insight along with greater Global accuracy.

More Data / Contact

VGChartz offers a professional data service called VGChartz Pro. If you require any custom analysis, preview data, forecasts or any other bespoke service outside of the scope of what is offered publically on VGChartz, or want to know more about the website then please contact us ? contact AT vgchartz.com

Blackwulf

N00b
It says, right there, Steam and Direct Download, as well as Retail.
It's not sold on Steam, and there's no way Zenimax gave their sales #'s to VGCharts. Read the spoiler above.

Edit: This shit really cracks me up. Why the fuck am I sitting here trying to defend this game and educate you fuckers about shit. I must get some kind of thrill from the conflict. Fuck's sake. I really don't get it. Anyway, if it makes you feel good, call this game shit, and don't play. Whoopie doo! I don't know what their sales #'s are. Maybe they are complete garbage. I'm interested to see what they say, or if they ever DO say.

That said, happy Independence Day, fellow Americans - I'm going on vacation!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's very likely it didn't crack 2mill, but we're a forum of rules. Unless we get hard numbers I'm not enforcing an avatar/ban bet. Part of making these kinds of bets is making them about topics that are decided with certainty.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Seeing that number makes it clear they easily broke 1 million total
Does it? Where are those numbers? You and I both know that if they had broke 1m in sales that we would have been inundated with articles and bragging about them hitting that point...and we haven't seen that at all. WHO broke 1m, STO broke 1m. And those games were shitty and rushed, by almost any objective measure. So how is it that you're still shilling TESO when by comparison it's done worse than many MMOs who managed to break 1m and then tanked when they hemorrhaged players?

Like I said earlier, provide a better source for numbers other than"Trust me, they sold more! I just know it!"

Like I said, they'll wait til they can throw console sales into the total.
When will that be exactly? 6 months from release? 1 year? Paul Sage was asked in interviews about this and he kept sidestepping that. So you're expecting this game to limp along, possibly into 2015 for console sales to hit, in order for this game to make any significant sales whatsoever?

You really gotta break out the old 'shill' card again?
I will break out that card each and every time I see you blindly stumping for a game and making arguments that don't line up with what I'm seeing all across the Internet. You did this from the first moment you limped over here from f13, and you're still doing it now.

It needs some serious attention, but it's better on day 1 than any other game with an IP I'm remotely interested in.
I can't think of a single MMO that wasn't better 3 months after release than it was on release date. That's simply a terrible argument.

Just to reiterate - VGcharts is shit - they don't know shit:
It's been clear for some time now that the new paradigm in the MMO industry is for studios to not release any information, ever. That's the entire reason that MMOdata.net closed down. Ergo, what VGcharts does is all that one can do when no current MMO wants to make it's numbers public because no MMO since WoW has had solid, steady numbers that would look good to the public (except EVE perhaps, until they too started changing how and if they would release data).

Again, show me a better source.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It obviously didn't even do close to 4 mil, but yeah those numbers are horribly inaccurate. There is no better source. your bet isn't gonna go anywhere.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Honestly there was a not insignificant chance that Blackwulf would abscond a couple weeks after release and never log into the forum again. Him showing up and taking the heat for being the biggest fan of ESO is enough for me to cut him some slack on the bet thing I sort of pushed him into.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Meh I wasn't remotely serious about the bet anyways, and we covered the inherent issues in depth over the following week or two after that came up, IIRC. We knew way back then that if they had poor sales that they'd never admit it and the only time we'd have solid numbers is if they sold some unlikely and ridiculous number like 10m.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
ESO is likely selling like shit and bombing hard but it's a pretty well documented that pulling VGChartz for any kind of accurate numbers is a bad idea. The point still stands though, ESO is a disaster and the console versions will never happen.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
There is legit criticism of TESO and then there is the idiot shit the haters spew out. Kinda like what Blank is doing over in the Wildstar thread. Some people here have a conniption fit if you say anything remotely positive about a game they don't like. I guess that is why we have psychiatrists and psychologists.

BTW I rolled up an AD alt and there were at least 100, possibly 150 players in the Vukhel Guard bank in Auridon. No doubt server population has dropped since release but there are still a lot of dirty stinking casuals playing the game. I wouldn't be surprised if ZOS knew all along that is who would be their most loyal customers.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
If they sold a million copies we would have seen a press release. Didn't they release stats about people who signed up for beta?!

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
anyone else besides the resident2 (two)....yes justtwofanbois akaborderline schillsenjoying this game?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
There is legit criticism of TESO and then there is the idiot shit the haters spew out. Kinda like what Blank is doing over in the Wildstar thread.
Well I don't go into the Wildstar thread because Draegan shilled it so hard early on and the art style I saw turned me off. (are you happy Blackwulf? I called someone else a shill!) I've only read Blank's post history as a result of people reporting him and it's pretty clear that he's just a troll, and a troll who won't last much longer if he keeps it up now that it's been brought to Mod attention.

Some people here have a conniption fit if you say anything remotely positive about a game they don't like.
I know how that goes, I got a lot of hate for saying that AoC wasn't a "total" loss after they spent time post release trying to fix a lot of their failures. It still had major flaws (their itemization made me want to stab babies for example) but I don't regret playing it.

I give Blackwulf a hard time because he's been such a relentless homer for this game since his very first post. He came here specifically for this thread and he has something like 90% of his posts in this thread alone. I haven't seen anything that egregious since Curt Schilling back on FOH, but then again given the circumstances I could at least understand why Curt did that. Hell I think Blackwulf was a huge homer for TESO back on f13 but I get the impression that he doesn't even post there anymore (and if it's possible, they might be rougher on TESO than we are here, after skimming 10 or so pages of their thread over there).

My biggest point is that I simply don't think it's realistic to believe that console sales are going to save TESO, especially when Sage is on record tapdancing around questions about a console release date. I'd almost want to bet that they won't get around to console sales until the 2014 holiday season, at which point they'll be 7+ months post PC release if that's the case.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If they sold a million copies we would have seen a press release. Didn't they release stats about people who signed up for beta?!
Yeah, they were all over the place and I think the number was 5 million. But then release hits...and they're mysteriously silent.

People said this with WoW: OB isn't so much for testing the game from the consumers POV as it is to get the first look at a game for free and judge if it's going to be good or a steaming pile of crap. And if you have 5 million people sign up for beta and you suddenly go silent on numbers post release, then you probably didn't impress many of them.

My biggest question about the console playerbase is whether or not they'll do due diligence before they buy it or if millions will simply buy on impulse. That, or if relatives who are clueless in regards to gaming buy a bunch for children who will try it and quit within a few weeks. Actually the more I think about it, the more a holiday console release will make sense. Watch the PC release really just end up being a paid beta for the console gamers.

MaseK

Molten Core Raider
anyone else besides the resident2 (two)....yes justtwofanbois akaborderline schillsenjoying this game?
I play in casual doses (only VR 5) but am still subbed and enjoying it. Quit for a month or so when PRX went unofficial to try Wildstar, toy around in SWTOR, and play other random games but came back (wife had a large portion to do with it).

There is a lot wrong with the game, but I think it gets a heavy hand from the haters. As everyone knows what is wrong, i'll highlight a few things I like.

I enjoy the combat more than tab target, action bar overload MMOs and while there are filler junk quests, I feel they are nestled amongst some quality ones.

I prefer the way quests are done in this game to other quest HUB MMOs, in that I'd rather have a few dynamic story driven quests in each area than 5-6 meaningless collect/kill quests that you don't read or care about

I like the ambiance of the game, that it is set in a medieval fantasy world, backed back realistic style graphics and a great sound track. I want to feel immersed in the game I am playing and ESO can do that for me still, perhaps largely thanks to the sound effects and graphics. I've switched it up to playing in first person with the field of view changes and it's been fun.

All in all, I'd be unsubbed without marital influences, but I think the game will be steadily improving over the course of the year. I like that they are looking to change up campaign styles and add in various character customization options in the next couple updates. The game can bring an enjoyable experience if you treat it casually and stop to smell the roses, instead of rushing to the top.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I know how that goes, I got a lot of hate for saying that AoC wasn't a "total" loss after they spent time post release trying to fix a lot of their failures.
I really enjoyed AoC's world, R rated atmosphere, classes and open world PvP.

One thing they did really well is have only one zone to get the last 8 or so levels in. And that zone had a lot of chokepoints. This forced a lot of PvP that you'd never see if there wasn't so much resource contention.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I play in casual doses (only VR 5) but am still subbed and enjoying it. Quit for a month or so when PRX went unofficial to try Wildstar, toy around in SWTOR, and play other random games but came back (wife had a large portion to do with it).

There is a lot wrong with the game, but I think it gets a heavy hand from the haters. As everyone knows what is wrong, i'll highlight a few things I like.

I enjoy the combat more than tab target, action bar overload MMOs and while there are filler junk quests, I feel they are nestled amongst some quality ones.

I prefer the way quests are done in this game to other quest HUB MMOs, in that I'd rather have a few dynamic story driven quests in each area than 5-6 meaningless collect/kill quests that you don't read or care about

I like the ambiance of the game, that it is set in a medieval fantasy world, backed back realistic style graphics and a great sound track. I want to feel immersed in the game I am playing and ESO can do that for me still, perhaps largely thanks to the sound effects and graphics. I've switched it up to playing in first person with the field of view changes and it's been fun.

All in all, I'd be unsubbed without marital influences, but I think the game will be steadily improving over the course of the year. I like that they are looking to change up campaign styles and add in various character customization options in the next couple updates. The game can bring an enjoyable experience if you treat it casually and stop to smell the roses, instead of rushing to the top.
That took some courage to post. I gave him a Tuconet to offset the negs the haters will give him for it.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Since you obviously are not playing it, why do you even care? Is it going to cause you to have a shitty day if you find out some people are still having fun playing this game?