The F*** Cancer Thread

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Godspeed, I’m sure lumi will come in shortly to prescribe garlic enemas.

In my limited experience, weird, scary life altering medical events come on like a thunder head and have a way of turning life upside down.. Hope everything works out

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Hi all.

I had a mole on my thigh that was starting to hurt. I had it checked out, and it's melanoma. Today they cut a huge amount out of my thigh in the hopes that they would get it all and I would need no further treatment. I'll have to wait about 5 weeks before I know if radiation is needed or not, but thankfully after a full scan the cancer seems to have not spread. We caught it early, and even if I need further treatment, I think I'm getting off pretty lucky. I guess we will see how it goes.

My dad had the same thing on his back a few weeks ago. Fortunately, the excision had clear margins and no further treatment is expected. Hopefully the same is true for you. Catching it early is key; glad you did.

My dad and grandfather both had prostate cancer and my mom died of combined biliary and colon cancer at 53. I'm going to have loads of fun over the next few years checking for this shit. Personalized oncocidal nanotech can't come soon enough.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Father-in-law got diagnosed with leukemia back in early summer 2020. Even ended up getting covid about a year ago (we didn't visit for Christmas because of it), and despite having no immune system, still overcame it.

A few months ago they started him on twice weekly transfusions. We were here for Thanksgiving and he seemed pretty normal, if not a bit depressed since his mouth hurt from whatever pill they started him on not that long ago. We left on November 28th, and he complained of chest pains on December 1st. They couldn't really find anything wrong with him, but at some point a couple days into being at the hospital, he decided he wanted hospice.

So we drove back up here basically a week after leaving for that. Arrived tonight and it just seems like he's a different person. Frail. He seems super happy being at home, and I assume because he's just done with it all, but a shell of a person at the same time. I understand his wanting to be done with the pain, but there's a crushing weight for his wife (married 52 years), and my wife and her brother.

My only other experience with hospice was my grandmother about 6 or 7 years ago, and she was essentially comatose the entire time we were there. I'm hoping that's not the case this time. But either way there's something morbid and also super depressing about just sitting around waiting for someone to die.

On the plus side, he basically lived for two and a half years after his diagnosis. We were able to basically say everything we needed to say, and even got in one last trip with him earlier this year.

Anyway, all that to say that it fucking sucks. My wife is super close with her dad and he's an incredibly kind man. I hate having to see her and all of them go through this. Shit, even myself, as I've known him almost my entire adult life and he's been a father figure to me (my own dad died when I was two). Really just venting while she's over there talking with him and I watch the dogs.
My first grandma to go had leukemia. She was diagnosed with it back in the 80s. Thankfully it went into remission for 20 years, but when it came back it took her pretty quickly. As the title says, fuck cancer.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Recently had my 2.5 year checkup, still in remission after 4 years of stage 4 cancer. Coming out the other side of chemo in the middle of the 2020 pandemic was rough, I'm sooooo fucking broke and struggling with chronic fatigue to the point that I can't work the jobs I qualify for (I tried, no degree, was back in school working on my degree when I got sick in 2015). Family largely abandoned me as soon as I finished chemo.

But hey I'm alive!

• 14Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 16 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Recently had my 2.5 year checkup, still in remission after 4 years of stage 4 cancer. Coming out the other side of chemo in the middle of the 2020 pandemic was rough, I'm sooooo fucking broke and struggling with chronic fatigue to the point that I can't work the jobs I qualify for (I tried, no degree, was back in school working on my degree when I got sick in 2015). Family largely abandoned me as soon as I finished chemo.

But hey I'm alive!
Glad you're still around my dude.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

But hey I'm alive!
giphy.gif

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider

But hey I'm alive!
Footage of me when I read

The F*** Cancer Thread
  • Latest: pharmakos
  • Today at 4:06 PMToday at 4:06 PM

• 5Worf
  • 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I had a lump on my left testicle but thankfully it was only spermatocele. What I didn't tell my doctor was that it was the exact spot I put pressure on when jerking off. Well you live and you learn.

lol I have a gigantic one of those, so big I call it my 3rd testicle. However, I'll probably get that shit removed.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
lol I have a gigantic one of those, so big I call it my 3rd testicle. However, I'll probably get that shit removed.
No you won't. You call it your 3rd testicle and you said probably. You are proud of that growth. You have a name for it ....you know you do...what is it?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

3rd testicle, you say?

AWW FUCK LOL

I knew a guy in one of my armor battalions at Ft Riley who had something like that

Nobody knew he had it or wtf that kind of thing was, until he pranked someone by pulling it out of the bottom of his PT shorts like some sort of fleshy blackjack, and slapping it up against a guys head from behind. And of course, we all thought he just pseudo-teabagged the guy from behind.

So of course we had to break up the ensuing fistfight, and then afterwards he was defending himself by arguing that it WASN'T his nutsack, but rather...he called it his 'klingon'. And dude had no reluctance pull it out AGAIN, in front of literally everyone, to show people that it wasn't his nutsack.

I guess (according to him), he'd had his forever, and there were fucking veins and shit running through it, so no Dr (?) ever supposedly thought that cutting his off was worth the risk or the trouble. Either that, or he just made that up to deflect (?)

I always wondered how that dude ever did PT or road marched without that motherfucking thing turning into a bloody, raw mass.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>

But hey I'm alive!
I work in radiation therapy and I have heard this story many times. Not necessarily the remission part because I'm not lucky enough to follow up with any of those patients, rather the broke/ friends and family abandonment part. Change how you think about that part. Here's two quick stories, one of which I've told before.

I was treating a guy with a nasty brain cancer. His brother lived 1/2 miles from him and promised to drive him for treatment every day. He only showed up for day 1. In desperation he asked his neighbor who had moved in 6 weeks before to drive him on his 2nd day. This 28 year old neighbor insisted on driving him every day and to his follow ups. The guy was so grateful not just for the rides but because he knew who his real friends were. It's the people that show up and keep showing up.

One of my brothers lifelong buddies got a brain cancer, they removed a big chunk of his brain, he received radiation and chemo as well. His wife and daughters bitched at him constantly for needing so much care. He recovered only to get esophageal cancer a few years later. One surgery to remove his entire esophagus and radiation after he found himself frail and barely making it and unable to put on weight. Daily life was miserable because of the wife and daughters. 6 months after he finished treatment his wife divorced him, took almost everything and his now adult daughters stopped talking to him. He moved away to a small town in the woods just to get away. The last few times I saw him he's as happy as I've ever seen him and he's putting on weight. Life's finally good for him.

• 1Rustled

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I work in radiation therapy and I have heard this story many times. Not necessarily the remission part because I'm not lucky enough to follow up with any of those patients, rather the broke/ friends and family abandonment part. Change how you think about that part. Here's two quick stories, one of which I've told before.

I was treating a guy with a nasty brain cancer. His brother lived 1/2 miles from him and promised to drive him for treatment every day. He only showed up for day 1. In desperation he asked his neighbor who had moved in 6 weeks before to drive him on his 2nd day. This 28 year old neighbor insisted on driving him every day and to his follow ups. The guy was so grateful not just for the rides but because he knew who his real friends were. It's the people that show up and keep showing up.

One of my brothers lifelong buddies got a brain cancer, they removed a big chunk of his brain, he received radiation and chemo as well. His wife and daughters bitched at him constantly for needing so much care. He recovered only to get esophageal cancer a few years later. One surgery to remove his entire esophagus and radiation after he found himself frail and barely making it and unable to put on weight. Daily life was miserable because of the wife and daughters. 6 months after he finished treatment his wife divorced him, took almost everything and his now adult daughters stopped talking to him. He moved away to a small town in the woods just to get away. The last few times I saw him he's as happy as I've ever seen him and he's putting on weight. Life's finally good for him.
Yeah a lot of people abandoned me during but a a few people also put in a lot of extra effort during. Those people are ALSO now nowhere to be found in my life, largely blaming me for it. And my fiancee left me like second dude, been alone for 2.5 years, was nice at first but gets real old when you're broke as shit.

There were two separate cullings that let me find who my "real friends" were... First the people that didn't care, then the people that only cared because I was sick. You know how many friends/family members are around now that BOTH those two culled groups are nowhere to be seen? About three. And they don't live anywhere near the city I landed in after everything happened.

• 2Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah a lot of people abandoned me during but a a few people also put in a lot of extra effort during. Those people are ALSO now nowhere to be found in my life, largely blaming me for it. And my fiancee left me like second dude, been alone for 2.5 years, was nice at first but gets real old when you're broke as shit.

There were two separate cullings that let me find who my "real friends" were... First the people that didn't care, then the people that only cared because I was sick. You know how many friends/family members are around now that BOTH those two culled groups are nowhere to be seen? About three. And they don't live anywhere near the city I landed in after everything happened.
Yeah, everything about it sucks. On top of that making new friends as an adult is very hard especially when you're broke. Three even if they are distant is about two more than most people would have, you must be a pretty good dude. Rebuilding your life isn't going to be easy but it can be done, just like my second example showed. There's plenty to do when you're broke if your location isn't really bad. Petite care about you and you can improve things.

• 1Solidarity

Goatface

know this is more of personal thread, but this is a good win. he went from a doctors telling him, he had tumors in his lungs, stomach, spine and kidneys and could have as little as 3-4 month to a year left, to being in remission and on a path to having med suppress it

• 6Like