The Fast Food Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not fast food per say, but we don't have a chinese food or as the case would be Thai food thread.

I'm in a food desert right now as far as being very far away from the states asian markets/restraurants where nothing is in English. But I happened across a bunch of random wierd ramen flavors at safeway (wierd as in dont usually see though I know what they are). Popped open the maruchan Tom yum noodle cup and after cooking.... holy fuck I missed that smell. Galangal, lime, lemongrass. And spurred my memory from my Thai girlfriend days of a restaurant in sorta poor white/mexican people area (probably gentrified by now)

This place, Google Maps Woodys wings and things..... american name. Actually have a really good burger, strangely it's steamed or something different. Never tried the wings. But on the side they also are a legit scary to white folk asian restaurant. (Check the pics on the google maps link)

My 2 very favoritest things that I can't get at any normal american chinese place is Tom Yum with the fish paste. (Kinda like fish ground up into a burger and spread around in the soup) And Beef Black bean Lad Na with a faint drizzle of sugar on it.

Havn't been there in a decade, but usually always amazed people that had never been to more to a buffet or generic american chinese #62. And at least back then was cheap for a ton of food.

Going to make the 50 mile trip once I'm back to work in a couple weeks for sure. Figured I'd drop the reference here if someone happens to be in Colorado anytime soon and looking for something unique (if not colorado themed, but fuck it all we have is green chile and rocky mountain oysters)
You can do a lot of purchasing on amazon, i just bought mirin, dried anchovies and kelp, gonna try to make some soondubu again.

as far as maruchan tom yum...

ugh

try 30 2.12OZ Packages Mama Tom Yum Flavour Instant Noodles

MAMA brand is great for that vietcong flavor, and at 17bucks for 30 packets, it's ALMOST close asian grocer prices, so you're not even getting ripped off.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Big Greek Cafe in Silver Spring crushes it.

View attachment 165012View attachment 165013

Damn that looks amazing. Now I want some Döner

23879_DEU-171127-Doner-kebab-AP_1513178998875.jpg

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You can do a lot of purchasing on amazon, i just bought mirin, dried anchovies and kelp, gonna try to make some soondubu again.

as far as maruchan tom yum...

ugh

try 30 2.12OZ Packages Mama Tom Yum Flavour Instant Noodles

MAMA brand is great for that vietcong flavor, and at 17bucks for 30 packets, it's ALMOST close asian grocer prices, so you're not even getting ripped off.
I'll give it a try, like I said this was a random safeway find. I certainly wasn't looking to maruchan for a high quality facsimile, but they nailed it well enough that it was a flash back down memory lane. (My wife won't go anywhere near anything exotic, took me 8 years for basic cooked sushi is about as wild as she gets)

I think I forgot to add, I really kicked it up a notch by taking a tin of my boneless skinless sardines and mashed it up into the soup went really great. Might replace just Cholula sauce drizzled on them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'll give it a try, like I said this was a random safeway find. I certainly wasn't looking to maruchan for a high quality facsimile, but they nailed it well enough that it was a flash back down memory lane. (My wife won't go anywhere near anything exotic, took me 8 years for basic cooked sushi is about as wild as she gets)

I think I forgot to add, I really kicked it up a notch by taking a tin of my boneless skinless sardines and mashed it up into the soup went really great. Might replace just Cholula sauce drizzled on them.
hop in the Gravy thread if you need any help w/ asian stuff

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I literally walked right past this place on Sunday while looking for a place to eat in downtown Silver Spring. Looks good, will definitely head back.

Georgia Ave hell all of Silver Spring has some of the best food in the area. Just make sure you go to Big Greek Cafe not Greek Cafe which is a few stores to the left.

10+ solid Vietnamese/Greek/Lebanese/Ethiopian places within 5 minutes from SS metro stop. I guess Alexandria is the only place with Rays steaks now with their famous asshole owner serving the Hellburger. Rays classics shut down in February. :/

I hear urban butcher is good.

Last edited:

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I found the official snack of rerolled. These things rock:

Ruffles-Mozzarella-N-Marinara-Potato-Chips.jpg

They really did an amazing job capturing the flavor of mozzarella sticks. The flavor is really strong, so you probably wouldn't like them if you're not a fan of typical mozzarella sticks, but if you are, then give these a try.

• 1Quality Calories
  • 1Supertaster
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I want some of those. I hope they're at the gas station.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 165039

They really did an amazing job capturing the flavor of mozzarella sticks. The flavor is really strong, so you probably wouldn't like them if you're not a fan of typical mozzarella sticks, but if you are, then give these a try.

i tried them the other day, and the bag is sitting half finished on my counter

i think my issue with them is i'm just way more of a corn chip fan than a potato chip fan.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

View attachment 165039

1524256673566.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 165039

Oh Prophet of Junk Food, why have you forsaken me? I sought out your holy offering and was left with ruin.

These were fucking awful and but a shadow of:

1524270472535.png

Although I've never seen these outside of Texas. So dunno if y'all can get at them. They're better than cheese and sour cream ruffles!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

View attachment 165039

Don't trust you on food McCheese fool me once.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users