The Fast Food Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have never heard anyone call it anything but "Sherbert". So I looked it up because I just couldn't believe I would be so fucking dumb to never read the label and realize that's not right. Then I remembered, all the supermarkets around here sell it in clear containers with white tops that don't have any fucking labelling on them other than the flavor. It doesn't even say Sherbet on it. It's a goddamn conspiracy!
I've also only ever heard sher-bert. Today is literally the first time I realized there was no "r" in that second syllable.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've also only ever heard sher-bert. Today is literally the first time I realized there was no "r" in that second syllable.

Here's my next question. Is it Sher-bet or is it Sher-bay, like you pronounce Sorbet?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I'm thinking 'bay' like Sorbet, since sorbet is basically sherbert...isn't it?

Everything I've ever known is a lie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Holy fuck, it's actually Sherbet? I feel like my entire life has been a lie.

Maybe another submission for the Mandela Effect.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Pretty sure it's pronounced bet and not bay.

But I mean..

hood_sherbet.jpg

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I have never heard anyone call it anything but "Sherbert". So I looked it up because I just couldn't believe I would be so fucking dumb to never read the label and realize that's not right.
Holy fuck, it's actually Sherbet? I feel like my entire life has been a lie.

f-p.gif

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Scoop on Sherbet vs. Sherbert

Maybe its regional like pop/cola. Because around these parts I have only ever heard it said that way. /shrug

Course slightly related, I read so much of a British comedy author during college, I used a spelling of a word or a kinda colloquism thats more british english in a paper and got accused of plagiarism over it.

People talk the way their surrounding people do. Kinda like dindu nogs seem to be slipping further and further away from recognizable English.
You guys didn't read the above article did you? It's Bert and Bet, and there is no difference! Sherbert is the only way I've ever heard it. Fuck the Bets.

• 2Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
In my defense I grew up on Long Island and even when people say SherbERT it still sounds like Sherbuht, which is basically Sherbet.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
You guys didn't read the above article did you? It's Bert and Bet, and there is no difference! Sherbert is the only way I've ever heard it. Fuck the Bets.

Wrong. Ice cream companies and stores almost exclusively use sherbet. You would be hard pressed to find a "sherbert" anywhere. Just because you pronounce it like a moron and a shitty dictionary website agrees with your idiocy doesn't make it an acceptable variation.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It says

By the late 18th century sherbet had become the established spelling, but after only a few intermittent uses in the 18th and 19th centuries, sherbert staged a minor comeback in the 20th century. It's now a fully established (though far lesser-used) variant.

Basically, if you read between the lines it's calling people that say -bert mongoloids.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Makes sense. I come from a long line of mongoloids.

• 1Solidarity

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is like a dumber version the Gif vs Jif argument that you can eat. I think I'll just be a snob and call it sorbet from now on, even if it says sherbet on the packaging. I don't have anything against sorbet, but I only eat something that sugary maybe a dozen times a year. And in those few instances, it's really hard to want to choose a sorbet over any Ice Cream.

• 1Picard

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wrong. Ice cream companies and stores almost exclusively use sherbet. You would be hard pressed to find a "sherbert" anywhere. Just because you pronounce it like a moron and a shitty dictionary website agrees with your idiocy doesn't make it an acceptable variation.
Grossly outnumbered here bro. R/ Iamverysmart material. I mean for god sakes your only ally is noodle.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm willing to kick McCheese's ass for the Glory of the Berts!

• 2Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
dude, don't you have some diet cancer issue? maybe stop drinking taurine, that shitmakes your piss neon green.

My cancer has been getting better the whole time I've been on the keto diet, and I've been drinking Rockstar here and there the whole time. My blood work and CT scans have all been showing improvement despite drinking sugar-free Rockstar. So yeah, seems to be fine for me.

Taurine isn't that big of a deal for most people. Our bodies naturally produce it in pretty hefty quantities. Dietary taurine seems to only be an issue in people with pre-existing gallbladder problems.

And in fact, caffeine has been shown (in peer reviewed studies) to improve the effects of immunotherapy, the treatment I've been getting. Tho I admit that black coffee probably would be better, which I do more often than Rockstar, I don't think the occasional Rockstar is hurting anything.

• 1Like