The Fast Food Thread

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Valentina black label has been my go to for awhile now. Still don’t get the love for Tapatio but it’s been years since I’ve had it. Maybe when my current bottle of stuff runs out I’ll give it another try.

They're pretty similar to me, but I grew up on Tapatio and have always preferred it. Partially influenced by all the "real" Mexican dives I enjoyed growing up had Tapatio.

Also, all the Americanized Mexican places had Cholula, which I've never liked. It became a way to identify the good, authentic Mexican food. But then again others have said Cholula was the "real" hot sauce in their areas.

I'm not too blinded by brand, though, just never liked Cholula and don't take offense when people don't like Tapatio. And Tapatio chips and stuff are generally not good imo.

I'll even use Tabasco, but only for eggs, hash browns, and it's weirdly amazing in clam chowder.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Site in Spanish, so had to Google translate it. Look at those ingredients. Salsa Huichol must really have a bite to it...

Screenshot_20220109-214657-402.png

Rattlesnake, huh? No problem, will try anything once!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Cholula and valentina imo have a stronger sour/vinegar flavor which I like while tapatio is more focused on the chile flavor with less vinegar. Forget about "authentic". It's not like they only have one kind of hot sauce in Mexico.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

I summon Izo Izo to this thread!

Meta analysis discussing the minimal benefits of sodium reduction (and this includes studies with hypertensive populations): Reduced dietary salt for the prevention of cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (Cochrane review) - PubMed

Salt blood-pressure hypothesis not based on good science: DEFINE_ME

Studies linking decreased sodium intake to worse risk of heart problems: Urinary Sodium and Potassium Excretion and Risk of Cardiovascular Events and Higher Intakes of Potassium and Magnesium, but Not Lower Sodium, Reduce Cardiovascular Risk in the Framingham Offspring Study

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Literally everyone in my family drinks like a fish and smokes until 60, though this generation has mostly cut out the smoking part. Half die at 60, half die at 100. Too much goes into life to sweat over one detail. My gramps is in his 90s and diabetic. I'd say 99% of his diet is beer and chips. Had a heart attack a week ago and asked me to bring beer to the hospital so he could shake it off. He knows he's got less than a decade left, no reason to stop now. I sure as fuck aint saying no to him.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
Meta analysis discussing the minimal benefits of sodium reduction (and this includes studies with hypertensive populations): Reduced dietary salt for the prevention of cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (Cochrane review) - PubMed

Studies linking decreased sodium intake to worse risk of heart problems: Urinary Sodium and Potassium Excretion and Risk of Cardiovascular Events and Higher Intakes of Potassium and Magnesium, but Not Lower Sodium, Reduce Cardiovascular Risk in the Framingham Offspring Study
Thanks, will check these out

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

Its incredible how slowly mainstream awareness catches up with new findings on human nutrition.

My nutritional biochem prof in grad school went on and on about this (the incredibly weak association between sodium and BP). 20+ years later, mainstream society still thinks "we eat too much salt" and "salt causes high blood pressure".

I guess no surprise though; look at how the "low fat" (i.e. high carb) diet has played out for western society but its still promoted by most.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Cholula and valentina imo have a stronger sour/vinegar flavor which I like while tapatio is more focused on the chile flavor with less vinegar. Forget about "authentic". It's not like they only have one kind of hot sauce in Mexico.

You would like Cholula while saying forget about authentic. You probably drive a Chevy!

Tapatio certainly has less of a vinegar taste. No clue why, but that's one of the reasons I prefer it. Especially when I was younger my tastes buds were too sensitive to be using that vinegar swill.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Thanks, will check these out
I'm not trying to tell you to buck your doctor's advice, especially since your genetic pre-existing condition might exempt you from the subject I'm discussing. I'm just saying that there is too much research for any one doctor, especially a GP, to digest to make one source golden unless that person is dedicated to only researching a very tight subject range and so a lot of decades-old diet myths persist even in the face of either evidence to the contrary or very-weak evidence in support. My GP still tells me to eat a low-fat, high carb diet to get my high cholesterol in check, despite the fact that I am in perfectly good help otherwise and am most likely in the top 1% of her patients health wise. Her advise would be the exact same to an obese person that is on a statin and has relatively better cholesterol numbers than me. It is insanity.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1641839228009.jpeg

Chick-fil-A Siracha sweet chili goes great with Mickey d nugs

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
More of a rustle. I guess some mcdees here have the spicy chicken biscuits 2 for 3.

My half of the state seemingly doesn't carry them.

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Authors' conclusions​

Implications for practice​

The present meta‐analysis shows that a low‐ versus high‐sodium diet in white people with normal blood pressure (BP) decreases BP less than 1%. A significant concomitant increase in plasma renin, plasma aldosterone, plasma noradrenalin, and to a lesser degree of plasma adrenaline may contribute to the small effect of sodium reduction on BP. Furthermore, sodium reduction resulted in a significant increase in plasma cholesterol and plasma triglyceride, which expressed in percentage, was numerically larger than the decrease in BP. Due to the relatively small effects and due to the antagonistic nature of the effects (decrease in BP, increase in hormones and lipids), these results do not support that sodium reduction may have net beneficial effects in a population of white people with normal BP.

In white people with elevated BP, sodium reduction decreases BP by about 3.5%, indicating that sodium reduction may be used as a supplementary treatment for hypertension. In Asian and black people the effect of sodium reduction was a little larger than in white people, but at present too few studies have been carried out to conclude differently from that above.

Implications for research​

The data suggesting that black and Asian populations are more sensitive to sodium reduction than white people requires further studies. In future studies of mixed populations, it is important that the effects on white, black and Asian populations are reported separately. Population studies have shown a U‐shaped association between sodium intake and mortality indicating that the beneficial effect of sodium reduction on BP outweigh the harmful effect on hormones and lipids at sodium intake above the usual sodium intake, but that the harms of sodium reduction outweigh the benefits at sodium intake below the usual sodium intake. Long‐term randomised controlled trials (RCTs) with mortality and morbidity outcomes would be desirable to confirm or reject these findings. However, such studies may not be practicable. After 195 RCTs and 27 population studies without an obvious signal in favour of sodium reduction below 100 mmol/day, another position could be to accept that the present usual sodium intake may be the optimal intake for the general population. As suggested by the National Academy of Medicine the primary need may be to revise the process of the establishment of the dietary guidelines.

Authors' conclusions​

Implications for practice​

We found a strong case for the benefits of salt restriction in people with CKD. We found that reducing dietary salt considerably reduced BP in people with CKD. We found consistent evidence that dietary salt restriction reduced proteinuria in people with earlier stage (non‐dialysed, non‐transplanted) CKD by 34% to 36%. If such reductions were maintained long‐term, this may translate to clinically significant reductions in ESKD and cardiovascular events.

Reduced salt intake may increase symptomatic hypotension. Data were sparse for other types of adverse events.

Current evidence‐based clinical guidelines recommend a sodium intake target of less than 6 g of salt (100 mmol; 2300 mg sodium) per day for people with CKD, although achieving longer‐term adherence to this target can be challenging for patients without regular and ongoing support to improve their motivation, knowledge and prevent behaviour change decay. These findings were based on studies with intervention durations up to 6 months. There are ongoing studies with longer intervention durations which will strengthen the evidence for longer‐term effects.

Implications for research​

We found that salt reduction in people with CKD reduced BP considerably and consistently reduced proteinuria over a time‐frame of up to 6 months. We found a critical evidence gap in long‐term effects of salt restriction in people with CKD that meant we were unable to determine the direct effects of sodium restriction on critical outcomes such as death and progression to ESKD. If the reductions we found in short‐term studies could be maintained long‐term, these benefits may translate to clinically significant reductions in ESKD incidence and cardiovascular events. Research into longer‐term effects of dietary sodium restriction for people with CKD is warranted, along with investigation of adherence to a low salt diet.

Despite consistent data from observational and non‐randomised studies showing that salt restriction reduced fluid volume in people with CKD, high quality RCTs are lacking. Further research on the effect of salt restriction on other cardiac and vascular abnormalities such as arterial stiffness, left ventricular hypertrophy, inflammation and oxidative stress is warranted.

Future studies investigating salt restriction should employ methods that limit risk of bias due to dietary confounders where possible and should take care to adequately measure dietary intake of not only sodium, but other nutrients that may confound study results. Research into long‐term adherence to a sodium‐restricted diet may assist in translating these results into a practical setting.
In essense, the cochrane metastudy evidence favours LiquidDeath LiquidDeath , sorry Erronius Erronius - for healthy adults, the BP reduction is negligble. In hypertensive, the effect is 5'ish mmHg. Not a lot, but significant nonetheless. There are side effects of a reduction that a desireable, but optainable by other means. It could be fine as an additive effect though. It's different in chronic kidney disease - and again for other conditions, like, say, apoplexia.

TLDR; salt intake and BP requires individual assessment.

awkward bart simpson GIF

• 2Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
I'm not trying to tell you to buck your doctor's advice, especially since your genetic pre-existing condition might exempt you from the subject I'm discussing. I'm just saying that there is too much research for any one doctor, especially a GP, to digest to make one source golden unless that person is dedicated to only researching a very tight subject range and so a lot of decades-old diet myths persist even in the face of either evidence to the contrary or very-weak evidence in support. My GP still tells me to eat a low-fat, high carb diet to get my high cholesterol in check, despite the fact that I am in perfectly good help otherwise and am most likely in the top 1% of her patients health wise. Her advise would be the exact same to an obese person that is on a statin and has relatively better cholesterol numbers than me. It is insanity.
I understand, doctors aren't gods and don't know everything.
I am always open to having my mind changed on a subject. I will still say I think the modern diet of mostly processed foods is still too high in salt / sugar / carbs etc etc but I will read those and hopefully I can enjoy my pickles again without feeling like im going to kill myself.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm a wimp and can hardly take it, but Marie Sharp's has been one of my favorites.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 392326
So pissed I don't have an Arby's near me anywhere. By FAR my favorite fast food joint and haven't had it in 6+ years, when I last lived in Oregon. Beef and Cheddar, Giant Roast Beef, and Curly Fries dunked in Arby's Sauce was a treat from heaven. The Big Montana was great back in the day as well.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So pissed I don't have an Arby's near me anywhere. By FAR my favorite fast food joint and haven't had it in 6+ years, when I last lived in Oregon. Beef and Cheddar, Giant Roast Beef, and Curly Fries dunked in Arby's Sauce was a treat from heaven. The Big Montana was great back in the day as well.
I may make the trip over there. It’s pretty far about 3 miles.

Got these today. Late Xmas present.

8AB6D851-02C0-4194-9D67-D672CC7BF711.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
  • 1Solidarity

joz123

Potato del Grande

View attachment 392326
Just tried the chicken one. Wasn't that spicy and the chicken on it was terrible. Would not get again.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like