The Fast Food Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Pepperoni is different because I doubt it's prepared and then frozen, the stuff like sausage is rather disgusting.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Pepperoni is different because I doubt it's prepared and then frozen, the stuff like sausage is rather disgusting.
You keep forgetting that you're a self proclaimed faggot super taster, so your opinion on the taste of anything is worthless.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've found that there isn't much of a difference between the quality of a $60 per person meal that is a lot of show and the quality of a $20 per person meal. The difference between the $20 per person place and the sub-$10 per person place, however, can be astronomical. Unless we're talking ethnic cuisine. Then that's the only time it's good. I can't imagine spending $20 on Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Mediterranean or Indian.

And using steak as an example is the worst. Who goes to a restaurant and orders something you can easily make on your own? I order the meals that take hours of prep with expensive/rare ingredients and generally is a pain in the ass to make.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I find the main difference in a place where you get a $15 steak and a $90 steak is usually the service. Yeah, the steak is better, probably not 6x better, but it's better. However, at the $90 a plate place you're going to get your drinks refilled damn near constantly, recommendations made if you have questions, in-depth info about the prep & cooking process if you want that sort of thing, etc.

If I get a $15 steak at my local bar & grill, I'm lucky if the part-time waitress/college student even knows what beers they have on tap currently. Alternately, one time at a 4* restaurant I actually poured my own refill out of the wine decanter at our table and the waitress was there INSTANTLY, apologizing that she didn't refill it sooner, etc. I wasn't upset or anything, but she had typically been all over us, refilling water after damn near every sip, brushing the crumbs off of our table between courses, etc.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What the hell is a 4 asterisk restaurant? Those anything like the restaurants on the moon? Great food but no atmosphere?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Plus at the $60 a steak place I'm less likely to run in to the filthy unwashed masses. I can eat in quiet seclusion while not talking to my wife and listening to subtle Yani music in the background.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Alternately, one time at a 4* restaurant I actually poured my own refill out of the wine decanter at our table and the waitress was there INSTANTLY, apologizing that she didn't refill it sooner, etc. I wasn't upset or anything, but she had typically been all over us, refilling water after damn near every sip, brushing the crumbs off of our table between courses, etc.
I'm all for great service and I don't mind paying or tipping for it, but that level of attention from a server makes me uncomfortable. To me, at a top restaurant, the service should almost go unnoticed, but be there when you need it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've never had a steak as good as the one from Peter Luger in NY and a very similar place called Andre's in Naples, FL. They are both the same steak basically. I couldn't make it at home and have never had one even approaching how good theirs is from someone at their house. Perfectly dry-aged porterhouses cooked on a 1800 degree broiler with kidney fat isn't easy to pull off in my kitchen!

I'm very fortunate in that my job lets me eat at ridiculously expensive restaurants for no cost to myself. I would very, very rarely eat places like that if I had to pay. The diminishing returns on food quality to cost are just not usually worth it and I'm by no means wealthy.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've found that there isn't much of a difference between the quality of a $60 per person meal that is a lot of show and the quality of a $20 per person meal. The difference between the $20 per person place and the sub-$10 per person place, however, can be astronomical. Unless we're talking ethnic cuisine. Then that's the only time it's good. I can't imagine spending $20 on Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Mediterranean or Indian.

And using steak as an example is the worst. Who goes to a restaurant and orders something you can easily make on your own? I order the meals that take hours of prep with expensive/rare ingredients and generally is a pain in the ass to make.
I gladly spend $20 on Mexican... but it's the best fucking Mexican this side of the river.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That dip looks amazing.

I used to eat a digorno pizza for lunch when I worked at a super market. I'd have the deli put it in their super ovens. Sometimes it would come out cooked on top, but the crust would be kind of under cooked. Was still good though, like eating little dough balls.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I gladly spend $20 on Mexican... but it's the best fucking Mexican this side of the river.
Well ya, I can spend $20 on Mexican as well, and love every bite of it. But that's because I ordered 2 burritos, a quesadilla, some rolled tacos, and washed it down with a large horchada.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That dip looks amazing.

I used to eat a digorno pizza for lunch when I worked at a super market. I'd have the deli put it in their super ovens. Sometimes it would come out cooked on top, but the crust would be kind of under cooked. Was still good though, like eating little dough balls.
Our supermarket had pizza ovens.. it was awesome.

Also the bakery had ovens that could cook pizzas pretty awesome too.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well ya, I can spend $20 on Mexican as well, and love every bite of it. But that's because I ordered 2 burritos, a quesadilla, some rolled tacos, and washed it down with a large horchada.
The item I get is basically fajitas but it comes with a pound of steak, pound of chicken, and half pound of shrimp.