The Fast Food Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I sometimes eat sweet shoepeg corn (off the cob) steamed with just a little salt added. It tastes somewhat different than the southern style creamed corn that I grew up on. It wasn't that shit you buy in the can with a thickener added in. The corn is passed over a bar grater while still fresh that busts up most of the kernels and sheers them off of the cob. It was usually cooked with bacon drippings as a flavoring which I suppose would be the stand-in for butter there.

Yeah my grandma used to make the illest creamed sweet corn. Used silver queen. Definitely different. There is some produce I miss about the midwest. Believe it or not, what I miss most are green beans. You just can't find half runners out here on the west coast. It's all the thin non-meaty French bullshit.

Oldbased

> Than U
I always loved the shit out of sweet corn all sauced up and when I eat dry corn I boil the cob and shuck it off. I agree on cornbread though with some good honey butter holy shit.
I don't like corn much when mixed and added into food as a filler and back when I drank sodas I could 10000000% taste the difference between cane sugar and high fructose corn killer.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Opened the jalapeño ranch chips. They're good but taste almost exactly like sour cream and onion with just a slight spice. Not life changing.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Qdoba > Chipotle

Also, I tried Buddy's Pizza for the first time yesterday, supposedly the originator of the square "Detroit-style" deep dish pizza. Was okay.

I went to the Warren branch tho, not the original Detroit location.

I thought the pizza was pretty bland, but I had to compromise with some picky eaters on the order (just had pepperoni). Next time I go I'm going to try the Sicilian pizza.
Qdoba chorizo breakfast burrito is the best damned breakfast there is

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Outback-3-PT-Bloomin-Onion.jpg

Available nationwide for a limited time, the 3-Point Bloomin' Onion takes the chain's signature Bloomin' Onion and tops with with Aussie Cheese Fries (fries with Monterey Jack, Cheddar, and chopped bacon) as well as cubed pieces of seasoned center-cut sirloin steak.

I may have to go get one of these heart attacks on a plate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
God gave us fingers for a reason. Just don't wear white when you go.

On the contrary, a bloomin onion is a great finger food. but with all that stuff piled on top its not practical to eat with your hands unless youre ethiopian. that thing is going to turn into a delicious plate of slop that requires a fork very quckly. hey no criticism, im all for eating slop.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Corn is a garbage vegetable for poor people to fill up on. It has no nutrients and just scrapes your intestines for hard shits.

It's also the most terrible version of Mexican food called Tex-Mex. We don't eat that garbage in San Diego. I don't think I had any corn other than ground up for tamales or tortillas in Mexico and we own property in San Felipe. I spent many a week in TJ, San Felipe, and Rosarito.
I have mostly had it in posole as prepared by my sister-in-law. She grew up dirt poor in Juarez, then emigrated (legally) to the USA when she was about age 11. So, it is a good belly stuffer, no doubt.
Here in the StL, it is typically used for tortillas and masa for tamales. Tex-Mex wise...it does lend sweetnesss and texture if sparingly applied.
(p.s. you should know that I ♡ you, even if we don't agree about food. )

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I'm with you. It will undoubtedly taste worse than just eating everything separately too

Yeah I'd rather have a better cut of steak than sirloin with some Bloomin' Onion and loaded fries as sides. It would both taste better and be less of a hassle to eat than that monstrosity. And you'd still have the option to fork up some of each together if you want to meld the flavors together.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah. Piling that shit on top of the bloomin onion will make the batter on the onion beneath it soggy from steam/cheese/etc, and as we all know that is the worst thing that can ever happen. Then you have to figure out how to eat the fucking thing. I applaud the spunk of the young marketing exec who thought this up, but like young Icarus he has flown too close to the sun.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Chorizo > Barbacoa > Chicken > Steak > Carnitas

Really, all of them are tasty. I think carnitas tends to be the driest and blandest, and chorizo has the most flavor. Steak can sometimes be hit or miss because of how it's cooked. I like it tender, but sometimes they overcook it and it isn't nearly as good. I get them all and it just depends what kind of mood I'm in and how many calories I want. Chorizo is super high calorie compared to chicken, which is damn low.
Hate to pull a Wendy's and say as far as dry carnitas it really comes down to how good the staff is. I've had since of the shitty dry servings but at least here most of the time it's wet and tender so i take the gamble.

Suprising, the sofritas (tofu) aint bad though not like I'd ever order it over meat

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider

That pic looks shopped as fuck. The onion, steak, and cheese combo sounds absolutely delicious, but I'd ask for the fries on the side.

And on the subject of Frankenstein fast food, I've eaten a couple of the Triple Double Crunchwraps at Taco Bell, and it's a keeper. The Double Decker Taco has been one of my staples at TB since the '90s, and the Triple Double is more or less a ginormous version of that, but with extra meat and sans refried beans . One minor issue is that the size and shape makes it a bit unwieldy to eat and drive and text and drink beer all at the same time, but that's fine, I appreciate a good challenge every once in a while.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Opened the jalapeño ranch chips. They're good but taste almost exactly like sour cream and onion with just a slight spice. Not life changing.

Jalapeno chips died years ago. You might be able to find some decent small batch regional brands every now and again that live up to the name, but due to the gay ass law of averages they've de-spiced all the big brands. Kettle Jalapeno use to be my favorite chip, but how it just tastes plain with maybe a slight hint of heat and jalapeno. Fuck this gay earth.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
There's a Habit Burger opening soon that's about a 10 minute walk away from me. Never heard of them before but they've got a fair amount of locations, mostly in SW US. Any opinions?

Krastalvo

Molten Core Raider
There's a Habit Burger opening soon that's about a 10 minute walk away from me. Never heard of them before but they've got a fair amount of locations, mostly in SW US. Any opinions?
Very tasty burgers; alright fries, but delicious onion rings and sweet potato fries.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have a Habit Burger and a Smashburger right near me, had never had either one prior to about a month ago. Both were good, more expensive than In 'n' Out of course. I liked Smashburger a little better because they had multiple bun options (if Habit has it, I wasn't given a choice), and their bacon was so fucking good I wanted to order a side by itself. Smashburger has shittier fries though, they are the shoestring type where you have to eat several at a time unless you enjoy dipping thousands of times.

If all I had were the Habit Burger though, I'd be perfectly fine with that. I just felt the bun choices put Smashburger over the top. The sourdough bun is fucking awesome.

• 1Like