The Fast Food Thread

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I use pork butts a lot. Mainly I will chop it up into cubes for pork adobo or stew. If I do it whole I usually buy a bottle of Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce and soak it over night in that, then slow cook it in the oven. I will also slice it thin and make it into filipino bbq sticks.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
oh ffs, go out of my way to costco and they don't even have any now

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Cut it up into 2" cubes, season with salt and pepper, sear them in a hot cast iron pan, put them in a baking dish with some flavorful liquid and roast at 325 until it falls apart. All sorts of mexican sauces are good for this. Here's Robert Rodriguez making "Puerco Pibil" that was so good it made Johnny Depp kill the cook in Once Upon a Time in Mexico". Don't bother with the annatto seeds. Expensive, hard to find, and all it does is make the shit red. Use some paprika instead. Don't bother with the banana leaves either, unless you want to look cool.

Results can be served with rice or tortillas and makes great filling for tacos, burritos, etc.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Do you actually eat this much in one sitting dude?

I saved one pie, one burger, and 2 of the nuggets for the following morning.

Nothing compared to what McCheese McCheese can do though

Hell I'm going back tonight for another 30 nugs. 1500 calories is NBD when you only eat 2 meals a day and your breakfast is small.

• 4Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 4 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The best pulled pork method I use for taste balanced with convenience and cost:

Usually after grilling steaks or burgers for that night's dinner and whatever else meal planning for the weak, I'll throw on a pork roast.

Grill is just a cheap $20 one. Charcoal is cheap and I cook more than one meal at once as mentioned.

Get a nice smoky, charbroily crust and then throw it in a vacuum seal bag and sous vide it for 36 hours at 164 (I think, I use serious eats time chart for it and different styles can be done). Can refrigerator it easy enough to plan a specific day to eat.

Sous vide circulator and vacuum sealer and bags are cheap enough and pay for themselves in convenience over time and keeping food lasting longer.

Comes out perfect every time, still tastes smoky, is nearly fool proof and much more convenient than watching a smoker. And easier to plan for meal time. And I've never personally had pulled pork from a slow cooker or instant pot that was good.

All relatively cheap and easy even as a novice and will impress.

Also, to stay on topic, last Mt Dew Summer Freeze I got gave me bad cramps and green splatters. Previously just had green, but normal shit, but wtf, think I'm done with them.

Sludig

The best pulled pork method I use for taste balanced with convenience and cost:

Usually after grilling steaks or burgers for that night's dinner and whatever else meal planning for the weak, I'll throw on a pork roast.

Grill is just a cheap $20 one. Charcoal is cheap and I cook more than one meal at once as mentioned.

Get a nice smoky, charbroily crust and then throw it in a vacuum seal bag and sous vide it for 36 hours at 164 (I think, I use serious eats time chart for it and different styles can be done). Can refrigerator it easy enough to plan a specific day to eat.

Sous vide circulator and vacuum sealer and bags are cheap enough and pay for themselves in convenience over time and keeping food lasting longer.

Comes out perfect every time, still tastes smoky, is nearly fool proof and much more convenient than watching a smoker. And easier to plan for meal time. And I've never personally had pulled pork from a slow cooker or instant pot that was good.

All relatively cheap and easy even as a novice and will impress.

Also, to stay on topic, last Mt Dew Summer Freeze I got gave me bad cramps and green splatters. Previously just had green, but normal shit, but wtf, think I'm done with them.
Funny I tried their pineapple something or another that seemed new. I barely made it home to the toilet a couple hours later.

Araxen

I'm drunk and will admit too liking RC Cola more than Coke and Pepsi. I honestly can't stand Coke. It's pretty bleh. Pepsi is just ok.

• 1Like

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
Slow cooker is for convenience and still makes damn good pulled pork. I second you on actually grilling the pork and not smoking. I enjoy smoked meats but i don't want it all the time. Sometimes i just want charbroiled or flame grilled taste. A ton of my friends overcook smoked meats anyway. Everyone is different and there are so many methods. Sous vide is very precise and damn near perfect but just good timing and old techniques work.

Cooked so many things in a plain old oven, still have many i thought were the best i ever had. Using racks to keep out of the moisture, adding moisture,slow cooking,searing turning on the convection if your oven has it. So many ways.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm drunk and will admit too liking RC Cola more than Coke and Pepsi. I honestly can't stand Coke. It's pretty bleh. Pepsi is just ok.
RC Cola makes me think of being a kid at my grandparents for the summer. It will always be top tier!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Cook one way or the other, both seems a bad idea. Generally, I throw half a pulled pork into an instant pot and do about 90 minutes. I add in a small can of pineapple juice, a good splash of apple cider vinegar, and enough broth or water for the pressure cooker to do it’s thing. About a cup of liquid is probably plenty. You need the water to steam and build pressure, otherwise it’ll just burn your meat. You don’t get the Smokey flavor or bark that you would smoking, but it’s way faster and easier, and is super tender and delicious imo. If your meat is sliced, I’d set it to like 60 minutes. Can always add more time if its not super tender. If you want to be cheap, just add like a cup of water in. Even then you’ll still get a super tender and delicious pork flavor, which is perfect with some bbq.
What button in the instant pot? There's slow cook, like meat stew, etc etc.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What button in the instant pot? There's slow cook, like meat stew, etc etc.
Manual, then set a time. Make sure there's liquid and the knob is set to seal, or you may burn your house down.

• 1Like

Sludig

Manual, then set a time. Make sure there's liquid and the knob is set to seal, or you may burn your house down.
I just hit pressure cook and high for 60 minutes since these were in little bigger than tennis bask chunks with water, bullion, seasoning.

think that's manual since I don't see a button for that. like I said 8 years of loading sense of adventure and just doing rice.

seared then up good. kinda in a rush to use b4 bad so no tone to try pineapple juice etc I don't have on hand

Sludig

20230613_200515.jpg

hmm what do....

maybe just head country bbq

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users