The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
8 has grown on me as I've gotten older

12 had the same problem 15 did, development hell if I remember right they ended up scrapping the original story(something about game being too long/story too convoluted I don't remember precisely.)

But my Favs 4, 5, 6, 9(the throwbacks are too good.) and 1.

joz123

Potato del Grande
12 I didn't care about the story one bit, the music and areas plus game play were what made it great to me.

5 is probably my favorite. The amount of optional stuff to do along with the job system was great (even tho rapid fire broke the game). Not to mention Gilgamesh being awesome in it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
12 will always been kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I loved the mechanics, the sidequests, basically everything but the main story. And the main story glossed over what is literally the most insane thing that ever happens in the game with a "Sure, the Occuria which are pulling the strings for the world are right. Lets just ignore all that shit and go after Vayne because reasons!" They could have literally spent 10 seconds and went "Oh man, Vayne isn't actually terrible and THERE ARE CREEPY PSYCHIC ALIENS RULING US FROM THE SKY." Like any sane characters would do. Nope, just hand-waved away. It's mind bottling to me that it plays out like it does, even in a JRPG. Almost always that is a cue to who the last boss really will be. Instead, it's literally just a footnote in the storyline to a boss fight that is mostly contrived.

Still love all the technical shit in the game, and the areas are beautiful, as well as being basically as good as it gets from a graphical perspective on the PS2. Just the most disappointing ending to any FF, including 13 which while a box of shit, was at least a telegraphed and understandable box of shit from a story perspective.

15 would have been several magnitudes better if there was shit to do in the "Dark" world. Big hunts, new dungeons, something. Nope, just Hammerhead and the end of the game. It does get some big points from me with the after credits scene that takes place right before you go after Ardyn though. You spend dozens of hours with some characters, even if they are annoying at times (hello Cup Noodles, and prompto in general) and then the game ends, with very little farewell. Was good from a story perspective to inject that after the credits, and that brought the dismal story from a C at best to a solid B rating for me.

Also, FF2 and FF8 are the worst FFs.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Think they show Squall actually dying this time?

nope. just going to be almost exactly what was in the OG game but with a higher polygon count, like all the other "remasters." looks like they didn't even get the graphics looking all that great, the fact that half that trailer was FMVs instead of actual gameplay footage should be telling.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
nope. just going to be almost exactly what was in the OG game but with a higher polygon count, like all the other "remasters." looks like they didn't even get the graphics looking all that great, the fact that half that trailer was FMVs instead of actual gameplay footage should be telling.

They didn’t even show the best part, the card game. Also telling.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

"Oh man, Vayne isn't actually terrible and THERE ARE CREEPY PSYCHIC ALIENS RULING US FROM THE SKY." Like any sane characters would do. Nope, just hand-waved away. It's mind bottling to me that it plays out like it does, even in a JRPG. Almost always that is a cue to who the last boss really will be. Instead, it's literally just a footnote in the storyline to a boss fight that is mostly contrived.

Also, FF2 and FF8 are the worst FFs.

They hand wave it because it is not the plot you think it is... those "aliens in the sky" is a redux of the ending of Final Fantasy Legend 1 and Brave Default- that element is "us" the player, its an odd sqeenix 4th wall break as a plot device, it is now that 12 did it, a running theme of "how would people in the game feel/see/know/interpret the player(s) of the game? if they were sentient and real" - just done in an even more odd way than the previous ones... was an odd reach back all the way to FFL1 there.

FF8 is the worst, 2 is foundational to 4 as 3 is foundational to 5 - I consider 3 worse than 2 in the disjointed nature of the world maps and bad progressive flow.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
They hand wave it because it is not the plot you think it is... those "aliens in the sky" is a redux of the ending of Final Fantasy Legend 1 and Brave Default- that element is "us" the player, its an odd sqeenix 4th wall break as a plot device, it is now that 12 did it, a running theme of "how would people in the game feel/see/know/interpret the player(s) of the game? if they were sentient and real" - just done in an even more odd way than the previous ones... was an odd reach back all the way to FFL1 there.

FF8 is the worst, 2 is foundational to 4 as 3 is foundational to 5 - I consider 3 worse than 2 in the disjointed nature of the world maps and bad progressive flow.
If that was the plot then they should have made that be the plot, you can't make a game better in hindsight by inventing some bullshit interpretation nobody thought of at the time.

It's like finishing FF7 after Rufus "dies" and Shinra is done, all that Sephrioth stuff is just a 4th wall break of someone other than the player controlling Cloud and it doesn't really matter. It's retarded.

FF8 is like the 3rd best selling one behind FF7 and FF10 so fuck the haters, evidence shows you are wrong.

• 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
If that was the plot then they should have made that be the plot, you can't make a game better in hindsight by inventing some bullshit interpretation nobody thought of at the time.

It's like finishing FF7 after Rufus "dies" and Shinra is done, all that Sephrioth stuff is just a 4th wall break of someone other than the player controlling Cloud and it doesn't really matter. It's retarded.

FF8 is like the 3rd best selling one behind FF7 and FF10 so fuck the haters, evidence shows you are wrong.
FF8 is the third selling title because it rode off of the success of FF7. As Xadion already pointed out - Starwars TLJ, you fucking twat.

Also, Squall doesn't die - he's all happy with his squeeze on the balcony of the floating garden before the game cuts. SE already shot down the theory that Rinoa turned into Ultimecia over a timeline where he died and Rinoa lost it. Any chance that game had for being interesting died with that theory. Now Tidus actually dies, as long as you forget FFX-2 exists. FFX was a great game with a great ending.

FF12 was a mess too. I think that one aggravates me more than the rest of the failures in the series because of how much potential was wasted in that game. There was no direction and anything mildly interesting was a footnote or ended up getting fucked up anyway.

• 1Like