Poll The Great Telemarketing Avalanche of 2016/2017

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Is one or more of your phones getting daily or nearly daily telemarketing calls?

• I own multiple lines, they all get daily or nearly daily telemarketing calls.

Votes: 37 27.0%
  • I own a single line, it gets daily or nearly daily telemarketing calls.

Votes: 70 51.1%
  • I own multiple lines, I never or very rarely get telemarketing calls.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I own a single line, I never or very rarely get telemarketing calls.

Votes: 22 16.1%

• Total voters

Kiki

Log Wizard
Must be nice. I buy new car, get 5 year warranty. 2 weeks later I'm getting mail about my warranty on my new car expiring. It's a farce.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
One of the calls I got a lot I just didn't understand what the hell the point of it was. It's just some robo chick from "card sevices" or whatever just calling to say "there are no problems with your credit card account" and then that's it. It's funny to me since I've never had a credit card anyway but what's the scam in this one? Just to get people to call back? See if people pick up the phone and put the number on a confirmed list?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My recent scam/spam includes a 5 digit number texting me about fraudulent PNC bank activity. Followed by a call/voicemail claiming Nathaniel something's bank account, followed by a text from a different phone number. Then today I got "LIFE INSURANCE" from 3 different numbers a couple hours apart, blocked each in sequence but online call history shows each of the numbers tried a 2nd and 3rd time before switching and continuing the spam.

A common one is spoofing the first XXX-YYY-???? of your number and picking random last 4 digits. They're legit numbers but the call obviously isn't so can't really block or reject list them.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I blaming you assholes for my recent calls. Few days after this thread was made I started getting calls from 400 area code 2-3 times a day, never once before.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
A common one is spoofing the first XXX-YYY-???? of your number and picking random last 4 digits. They're legit numbers but the call obviously isn't so can't really block or reject list them.
yea that's a really common tactic, the theory behind this is, that you'll see the number and "kinda" recognize it, but don't know why, so you'll answer it.

I've had at least 10 of these types of calls.

Also, don't ever say

"YES"

at all

again don't fucking say

"YES"

the scam is now to have an active recording in the background and waiting for you to say "YES"

(they'll have a robot say shit like "can you hear me???", "hello"???)

they record that "YES"

and use it to bill you for shit and when you contest it, they'll playback something like...

"Mr. Idiot, do you consent to these charges for 10,000$???"

"YES"

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Anyone else's phone getting blown the fuck up with robocalls again lately? I've been getting almost 30 calls a day for the last 2 weeks. About 90% are "Thank you for staying at Hilton..."

• 2Like

Gruden

<Bronze Donator>
Last week or so i've been getting 1-2 calls every day from random unknown numbers. Dont pick them up, so not sure what they want and they leave no voicemails. Not a lot, but i'm used to 1-2 calls a month, so it is noticeable.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
just ignore all unknown phone calls then mark em as spam in contacts

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I get work calls all the time from unknown numbers, so not picking up isn't an option. This is infuriating.

If Hillary ran for president in 2020 on a "Capital punishment for telemarketers" platform, I'd vote for her twice.

• 2Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I get work calls all the time from unknown numbers, so not picking up isn't an option. This is infuriating.

If Hillary ran for president in 2020 on a "Capital punishment for telemarketers" platform, I'd vote for her twice.
pick up and wait for them to say hello then, if you notice a 4s lag then it's the robocall rerouting to either a robot or a live person to initiate the scam.

don't say hello, just pick up. If it's a real person on the other line trying to find you, they'll just say "hello, @bandwagon?", hello?

also, remember don't say "YES", just go " Bandwagon Bandwagon here, who dis?"

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
pick up and wait for them to say hello then, if you notice a 4s lag then it's the robocall rerouting to either a robot or a live person to initiate the scam.

don't say hello, just pick up. If it's a real person on the other line trying to find you, they'll just say "hello, @bandwagon?", hello?

also, remember don't say "YES", just go " Bandwagon Bandwagon here, who dis?"
download the Mr Number app and block them all as spam. Mr Number will block that number or ID it as spam in the future. i uually get calls about my car's warranty being in jeopardy. yeah my car is a 1992 convertible. that warranty is in jeopardy fur shur

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Most common one ive been getting are indians offering to give me a line of credit. I fuck with every one of them. Give me fake cc# and act dumb when they see it isnt valid. Some get very angry.

Also started getting ones about being a veteran and veteran benefits.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Phone's been ringing off the hook four calls a day or so trying to offer me health insurance or lower my non existent student loan debt.

Guess it's scam season again.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've started getting a lot of texts, which is new. I've averaged 2 calls a day for over a year now, to the point I've long since given up answering my phone unless I know the number, but now I'd getting 1-2 texts every day - refinance school loans (I have none), deals on cruises and other random shit. Some of them have the "text STOP and we'll stop messaging you" but that only feels like a way to encourage them to spam me more.

Shit gets old.

• 2Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
look dudes, this shit works, from my nextdoor
was scammed of $9000 the day before thanksgiving. I posted on this application. On thanksgiving day due to my two sons

something something, a "lawyer" robocalled her and said her son was in jail and she needed to western union 9k so he could get representation in canada or something.

it worked.

• 2Worf
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I've had that shit. "Law" offices calling me about this URGENT (but they never say what) matter and I need to call them back.

It ain't fucking urgent unless there's a deputy at my door.

You basically have to ignore every call you get these days. I've got to yell at my parents to remind them of that every so often. Fuckin mom will call me talking about some call she got that's an obvious scam.

I used to be polite. Now if I hear a voice i don't recognize I just hang up on them.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure if it is on all Android phones or only specific to Nexus phones, but I have a setting that lets me disable spam calls completely. Literally the only way I know they even called is if I go look in my recent calls list. It never rings or lights up or vibrates, it doesn't even give a notification that they left a voicemail, even if they did. It has made life so much better. I used to get woken up on weekends or naps all the fucking time, so I would turn my phone to completely silent if I was asleep. Now I don't have to, and if it rings it is usually someone I actually want to talk to.

Occasionally numbers get through still, but it seems that they are pretty quickly auto-added to the spam list and I never see the same number again. I could be wrong about that, and they just never use the same number, but either way, that feature is the best thing since flush toilets.

• 2Like

MachRed

Molten Core Raider
Iphone user here.
Goto settings>do not disturb. Set to manual. Allow calls from: All contacts.

Then just leave phone in DND mode 24/7. This will let those in your contacts still call you anytime, but insta voicemail those who aren't. Oh and you can clear out your thousands of blocked contacts since its full of spoofed bullshit anyhow.

• 1Like