The History of Pizza, Ancient and Storied

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We have an Italian shop around us that sells fresh pizza dough. $1.75/ea, and it makes 16" pizza. I used make my own until I found that place.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
It is amazing the difference the type of "wheat" used in the flour makes for your dough.

personally for bread i have been experimenting with einkorn flour.. got 4lbs from amazon (jovial brand) and it was great. just got 10lbs of einkorn from a site called breadtopia

doing pizza dough with it next week, will relay how it comes out.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i have 4 doughs poof from last night, i'll start em tomorrow.

i'm gonna roll my dough, if the guy from lucali's rolls his dough, i'll roll my dough

also gonna try pizza sauce w/ some san marizano tomatoes, i'll cook the sauce this time, most said just do it out the can, idk that for me was the weakest part, i have to make my own moz again, i can't find whole milk moz.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I thought this thread was going to be about secret Builderburg Meetings, Lizard people, Illuminate, and kid fucking.

I didn’t know you would all be speaking in code though.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
so far using a rolling pin for the dough seems wrong, i'm "pushing" all the air bubbles to the crust and hear it "popping", wondering how it'll turn out.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
sauce good, cheese good, unfortunately i need 3-4 more minutes to bake the pizza, but i'll burn shit by then, the bottom crust is NOT to my likin

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
IMG_20190324_155310.jpg

1 minute too long, at least they look round

• 1Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Looks pretty good! You are right that you shouldn't use a rolling pin, you want to stretch it by hand with a specific technique. As for the bottom not cooking at the correct rate, that is much harder and one of the limitations of a home oven. The best solution I've found is using a pizza steel near the top of an oven at max temp and blasting it with the broiler for 15 minutes right before the pizza goes in.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Looks pretty good! You are right that you shouldn't use a rolling pin, you want to stretch it by hand with a specific technique.

yea i don't like the flopping side of palm motion, it gets kinda messy, i like doing this w/ the knuckles, whatever it's called and just letting the weight of the dough stretch it out.
As for the bottom not cooking at the correct rate, that is much harder and one of the limitations of a home oven. The best solution I've found is using a pizza steel near the top of an oven at max temp and blasting it with the broiler for 15 minutes right before the pizza goes in.
yea i think i'm at the point where in order to get the nice bottom crust i need it at 700f, at that point it's probably pizza oven time.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
  • 1Like

gremlinz273

<Bronze Donator>

In a blog describing the find, the culinary archaeologist Farrell Monaco noted that mensa is also Latin for table, and that the poet Virgil described eating the meal in The Aeneid: “After Aeneas and his men eat their meals off the flatbread, they remark, ‘Oh, look! We are eating our tables too!’”

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande

In a blog describing the find, the culinary archaeologist Farrell Monaco noted that mensa is also Latin for table, and that the poet Virgil described eating the meal in The Aeneid: “After Aeneas and his men eat their meals off the flatbread, they remark, ‘Oh, look! We are eating our tables too!’”
It's not Pizza if no tomatoes, it was probably more like a cheesy garlic bread.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It's not Pizza if no tomatoes, it was probably more like a cheesy garlic bread.
If the italians say it's a pizza, then it is a pizza. They invented the damn thing, they get to say what it is.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
we wuz pizza chefz?
By the way, one of the pizza recipes I saw from the 16th century involves... sugar and honey toppings.

Yes, Pizza as a pastry dessert (to be fair, Italian renaissance involved putting sweet stuff on everything).

• 1Like