The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They worst part is gandalf being wtfpwned by "The Necromancer" which clearly should have told him that he eas really dealing with Sauron and not some new threat.
Are you even still talking about the movie? Because he suspected Sauron was involved the entire time.

Caliane

wtf does this post even mean
hes talking about how, exactly as you say. In these Hobbit movies. Gandalf finds definitive proof Sauron has Awoken the Nine, and called them to Mordor. That the necromancer was suspected of being an agent of, Sauron. but oh, shit even more..
They also present Elrond and Galadriel as also being very suspicious of his return, at the time of the Hobbit. 50 years before Lord of the Rings...
It really makes their colossal fucks ups in not stopping him, really worse.

50 years later, in the Fellowship, everyone is STILL not sure he's really returned...

Flank_sl

shitlord
The Silmarilion expands on the eagles a bit. They were sent to middle earth to wait and report back to Manwe (tolkiens version of Zeus). As servants of Manwe they do not really trust humans or the elves in middle earth. They should do whatever the fuck Gandalf wants though, since he is a demi god sent to police middle earth and the eagles know that.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Saruman knew that the Necromancer was Sauron. He already desired the ring for himself at that point and wanted Sauron to be able to build up his forces in the hopes that the ring would reveal itself. Sauron openly declared himself 10 years after the Hobbit and sent three of the Nazgul to reoccupy Dol Guldur, which they held until Dol Guldur was destroyed by Thranduil and Galadriel during the War of the Ring, although they were briefly called away in pursuit of the One Ring.

It didn't matter that Sauron was openly holding Mordor and Dol Guldur for fifty years because in the Third Age nobody had the power to attack him.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
wtf does this post even mean
sorry i was out and about today and responding on my cell phone. as cal stated. 50 years before LOTR gandalf had his ass beaten by motherfucking Sauron. after that he should have been calling everyone to arms. ya know, fuck all that five army jazz. no way should he have waited 50 years to rile people up. but maybe PJ explains that. in the books they say "The Necromancer" was defeated and thats when he hooks back up with bilbo. barely a blip on the middle earth radar it seemed (the hobbit version i read never mentions anything related to sauron or LOTR)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, to be honest, the whole Sauron ring thing is a huge introduced plot hole. The entire story sort of rests on the fact that Bilbo keeps using the ring innocently because all it appears to do is turn him invisible...

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
People always call The Hobbit the "prequel" to the Lord of the Rings, which is just stupid seeing as The Hobbit came first. Bilbo's ring being the One Ring of Sauron is really just a huge retcon. There is no suggestion or reference to any such thing in The Hobbit.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
People always call The Hobbit the "prequel" to the Lord of the Rings, which is just stupid seeing as The Hobbit came first. Bilbo's ring being the One Ring of Sauron is really just a huge retcon. There is no suggestion or reference to any such thing in The Hobbit.
Right, but that's part of the entire story that it's a completely innocuous artifact that just turns him invisible. Adding in the LotR crossover shit just confuses the story and starts raising more questions than it answers. Same with the Eagles.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Well its not really the same as with the Eagles because they were much the same in The Hobbit as they were in LotR. Why didn't they take the dwarves to the lonely mountain? I dunno cause evil or something, who cares let's go meet Beorn. Why didn't they bring the ring to Mount Doom? Evil or something let's go wake ancient evil in a mine and Gandalf dies.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Well its not really the same as with the Eagles because they were much the same in The Hobbit as they were in LotR. Why didn't they take the dwarves to the lonely mountain? I dunno cause evil or something, who cares let's go meet Beorn. Why didn't they bring the ring to Mount Doom? Evil or something let's go wake ancient evil in a mine and Gandalf dies.
Maybe eagles don't like big fucking dragons?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
maybe eagles dont like being ripped apart by dark magic and mini dragons

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure why you guys are trying to refute a point I'm not making. In fact I think the two of your posts put together reinforces the point I was making.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Perhaps we'll see a rock clunk Gandolf on the head at the end of the 5 Armies movie.

That'll explain his memory loss.

And the elves just choose to not talk about the return of Sauron, act like they never heard of it, because fuck humans.

A big rock, or Saruman with an oversized wooden mallet.

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
The elves chose not to act against Sauron after The Hobbit because
1) They were leaving Middle Earth at this point and so were divided
2)They could not actually fully defeat Sauron since his life force was linked to the Ring, so without being able to destroy the ring, he'd just keep returning.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The elves chose not to act against Sauron after The Hobbit because
1) They were leaving Middle Earth at this point and so were divided
2)They could not actually fully defeat Sauron since his life force was linked to the Ring, so without being able to destroy the ring, he'd just keep returning.
How about the truth of it being that none of this part of the story ever existed until much, much, much later because "The Hobbit" was never meant to be a prequel to anything. It was a stand alone story and was never meant to be a tie in to the LOTR books until Tolkien decided to go full on George Lucas and take a giant dump all over his own story. Even his own publisher had to stop him from entirely rewriting "The Hobbit" and adding in all this other bullshit because they knew it was totally lame and would just ruin how awesome "The Hobbit" was as a stand alone story. Get a hold of the original Hobbit book and read it. There is absolutely no mention in that book whatsoever of Sauron, or the one true ring, or of any impending doom, or a necromancer, or anything at all that ties in to the LOTR.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
How about the truth of it being that none of this part of the story ever existed until much, much, much later because "The Hobbit" was never meant to be a prequel to anything. It was a stand alone story and was never meant to be a tie in to the LOTR books until Tolkien decided to go full on George Lucas and take a giant dump all over his own story. Even his own publisher had to stop him from entirely rewriting "The Hobbit" and adding in all this other bullshit because they knew it was totally lame and would just ruin how awesome "The Hobbit" was as a stand alone story. Get a hold of the original Hobbit book and read it. There is absolutely no mention in that book whatsoever of Sauron, or the one true ring, or of any impending doom, or a necromancer, or anything at all that ties in to the LOTR.
Lol what? His publishers were the ones who pressured him to write Lord of the Rings. He rewrote the Riddles in the Dark chapter, which changed Gollum and the ring, because otherwise the trilogy would have made no sense. Since this also now means Bilbo lied to the dwarves, he explains that away as the influence of the ring.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
my friend told me that the Hobbit is a religious metaphor where Bilbo is Jesus and the dwarves are Jews (for obvious reasons). anyone heard of this?