The Hobbit

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Why was Legolas in Laketown again? Because he followed Tauriel? Why did he follow her? Because she convinced him to disobey the elf king in 15 secs of dialog?
It was basically explained in the movie. They were obviously very close friends who had some feelings for one another which is covered when the king speaks to her telling her to not get caught up with Legolas because nothing would come of it. When the gates are sealed Legolas decides hes going to follow his good friend because he cares for her and from there they are off to the races.

darkko_sl

shitlord
I was actually pretty bored during the movie and excited for it to finally end. Maybe it was the barrel scene or the stupid love story, but I may have just been in a bad mood because they forced literally 30+ minutes of commercials down our throats before the movie. Movie was supposed to start at 4:10 by the time the last movie trailer ended (there were two) it was 4:45. Seriously, 30 some minutes of pointless commericals. ugh

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This movie was awesome.

Saw it in IMAX 3D HFR with my wife. I would absolutely see movies again in this format. The clarity was awesome.

My wife loved the 1st half of the movie where it was more light-hearted, she started to get bored at the end once they got to laketown and under the mountain. I enjoyed the whole movie but especially the 2nd half. Smaug was done SO much better than I was anticipating. I don't think I have ever seen a film dragon done better, especially a talking one. Talking dragons normally come off so cheesy but Smaug was incredible.

I had no problems with Tauriel. I had my reservations at first but her character was fine. In fact a bad-ass chick elf was awesome to watch. Legolas being a bad-ass is always fun to watch.

Seeing the Eye of Sauron form during the Gandalf faceoff was badass.
Legolas seeing a photo of Gimli was great.
Jedi-Legolas might turn some people off but damn, it's so entertaining. I like how he does actually get a cut/bloody from that last fight. He's mortal after all!

I always disliked how the Dwarves ALWAYS get themselves in trouble and Bilbo ALWAYS has to save them. Although their efforts were wasted, I found the whole end battle against Smaug to be very clever and actually necessary to finally show that these Dwarves aren't actually as retarded as we are lead to believe. Maybe it was filler for some of you but it was awesome eye-candy and actually added some story progression to these Dwarven characters whom previously have seemed as dumb as the common orc.

Beorrn was badass.
The barrel scene was very Disney-like but also a whole lot of fun.

9/10 for me.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As far as dragon types go, Tolkien had a variety.

Smaug was (as far as I can remember) always described as that type, with the forearms attached to the wings. Glaurung was 4 legged and didn't have wings. Ancalagon the Black was pretty much the Deathwing of Middle-earth, gigantor as all fuck, 4 legs, and 2 seperated wings. Scatha was another, and was more of a long wurm without wings (longer than Glaurung, like Asian dragon style).

Attaching this fan-made image of Earendil vs. Ancalagon just for a size representation. That little glimmer on the left there is Earendil in his ship on the attack. Yeah - pretty much Deathwing-sized.
rrr_img_53500.jpg

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
The complaints about HFR amuse me considering I've studied this phenomenon a bit in school. Boils down to people having the preconception that lower framerate things like movies are "higher quality" and higher framerate things are "lower quality". As more and more HFR movies come out that preconception will go away. It will also help as movie makers get more experience with what you can and cannot do with HFR since a lot of the tricks that filmmakers used to use to cover up less than stellar CGI and costumes don't work with 48 FPS due to the increased clarity.
Nah, HFR gave me a giant headache. I know it's better and when there wasn't an action sequence or a close up, I loved it. Problem is, everytime there was an action sequence or close up, my brain couldn't keep up and the scene would blur and I'd get a HUGE headache from it. So I so this one on normal.

There was some really GREAT scenes and then there were some really shitty ones. Also, I don't know about your theatre but everyone in mine groaned when the ending came. I was like, REALLY...REALLY, you add so much that wasn't in the book and didn't need to be in the movie and you end it there? Holy WTF Batman!

Edit...
Also, I haven't read the book in ages and just remember the Rankin and Bass movie but in the book, did Bilbo talk to Smaug while he was visible? I thought he did it while he was wearing the ring?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This movie was awesome.

Saw it in IMAX 3D HFR with my wife. I would absolutely see movies again in this format. The clarity was awesome.

My wife loved the 1st half of the movie where it was more light-hearted, she started to get bored at the end once they got to laketown and under the mountain. I enjoyed the whole movie but especially the 2nd half. Smaug was done SO much better than I was anticipating. I don't think I have ever seen a film dragon done better, especially a talking one. Talking dragons normally come off so cheesy but Smaug was incredible.

I had no problems with Tauriel. I had my reservations at first but her character was fine. In fact a bad-ass chick elf was awesome to watch. Legolas being a bad-ass is always fun to watch.

Seeing the Eye of Sauron form during the Gandalf faceoff was badass.
Legolas seeing a photo of Gimli was great.
Jedi-Legolas might turn some people off but damn, it's so entertaining. I like how he does actually get a cut/bloody from that last fight. He's mortal after all!

I always disliked how the Dwarves ALWAYS get themselves in trouble and Bilbo ALWAYS has to save them. Although their efforts were wasted, I found the whole end battle against Smaug to be very clever and actually necessary to finally show that these Dwarves aren't actually as retarded as we are lead to believe. Maybe it was filler for some of you but it was awesome eye-candy and actually added some story progression to these Dwarven characters whom previously have seemed as dumb as the common orc.

Beorrn was badass.
The barrel scene was very Disney-like but also a whole lot of fun.

9/10 for me.
I don't entirely agree with the review but this is really the best one I have read. The more I think about it. The more I like the light heartedness and Disney-like moments. The Hobbit was introduced to me and even now my children at an elementary school age so I'm glad they did that. After reading this review, and I was never really negative about the movie in the first place, but I think the good far out weighs the bad and post critical points are preferences.

As I said in an earlier post, if they can improve from 2 to 3 like they did from 1 to 2, I will be very satisfied with this trilogy.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
As far as dragon types go, Tolkien had a variety.

Smaug was (as far as I can remember) always described as that type, with the forearms attached to the wings. Glaurung was 4 legged and didn't have wings. Ancalagon the Black was pretty much the Deathwing of Middle-earth, gigantor as all fuck, 4 legs, and 2 seperated wings. Scatha was another, and was more of a long wurm without wings (longer than Glaurung, like Asian dragon style).

Attaching this fan-made image of Earendil vs. Ancalagon just for a size representation. That little glimmer on the left there is Earendil in his ship on the attack. Yeah - pretty much Deathwing-sized.
rrr_img_53500.jpg
This is Smaug drawn by Tolkien. Definitely 4 legs and 2 wings. Like I and others originally said, wrong and changed for the movie but it really doesnt matter at all and I think smaug looked great anyways.

rrr_img_53573.jpg

I cant believe I have become "that" guy".

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Now that I think about it, yes they made Smaug a Wyvern. Odd direction to go with it, but I guess it is easier for him to snake around in that form. Also, they only showed Smaug's eyes light up when they initially opened. For some reason I remember Smaug using the lit eyes to try and find the invisible Bilbo who did "Not" appear in front of Smaug. I still enjoyed the movie, though the more I think about it, the more I just wish they left Legolas out of the movie. Hard to get into a movie knowing a character does not die during a fight sequence. The only reason I enjoyed him in LoTR was because of the relationship he developed withGimbly. Without his side kick dwarf, he feels out of place.
GTFO of this thread.

Did anyone else notice the first shot of the film when thorn is walking in Bree, peter Jackson walks out of a building eating an apple or some kind of food? Looks at the camera as he walks by?
Whats funny is my wife and I laughed when we saw it and no one else had a reaction.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I loved the first one, and I was so looking forward to the second one. I was terribly disappointed. The acting was terrible, and it was done by good actors, which makes me think it was the directing that brought them to that point. And the effects went from quite good to dreadful and back again in the same scene. Plus, how many times does something "shocking" like a head getting severed have to happen before it just becomes cliche and stupid?

And, while I fully realise that I'm not going to see the book, I'm seeing a movie adaptation of the book, the movie just made stupid departures. The female elf and the love thing with a dwarf? Including Orcs where there shouldn't have been any, dipping the dragon in gold, and on and on and on it could go. Plus, the barrel scene is one of the best parts in the book, and they just completely messed that up.

So, to sum up: Bad acting, bad directing, bad effects, poor screenplay. Other than that, great!

Actually, I saw it in 3D, which I generally really don't like, but the 3D effects were quite stunning. Better than I've ever seen.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Talk about some sandy Vaginas. Seriously, this is not the book. Get over it!

I actually enjoyed the film quite a lot. The elf / dwarf romance didnt bother me at all. You know they have to throw some shit in there for the mainstream female audience and it wasnt that badly done, nor drawn out nearly as long as Aragorn / Arwen plotline in LoTR. I think Evangeline Lilly's performance was on par for the rest of the cast and she was smoking hot too.

The complaints about the forge scene being added and drawn out "for no point" also forget this is a MOVIE. Those of us that have read the books know that Smaug will seige Laketown and what his eventual demise will be. Everything prior to that is for entertainment. It's like saying Frodo was wasting his time doing X, Y, Z, because we book snobs know how it actually concludes. Audiences want more Middle Earth and I have no problem with the artistic direction Peter Jackson has taken with this franchise.

This movie was significantly better than the first and doesnt deserve near the criticism it has gotten on these boards. Everywhere else has glowing reviews of the movie outside of die hard book nerds. Fucks sake Rerollers, turn the nerd dial down a bit. Enjoy these movies for what they are.

9/10 for me.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

I actually enjoyed the film quite a lot. The elf / dwarf romance didnt bother me at all. You know they have to throw some shit in there for the mainstream female audience and it wasnt that badly done, nor drawn out nearly as long as Aragorn / Arwen plotline in LoTR. I think Evangeline Lilly's performance was on par for the rest of the cast and she was smoking hot too.

The complaints about the forge scene being added and drawn out "for no point" also forget this is a MOVIE. Those of us that have read the books know that Smaug will seige Laketown and what his eventual demise will be. Everything prior to that is for entertainment. It's like saying Frodo was wasting his time doing X, Y, Z, because we book snobs know how it actually concludes. Audiences want more Middle Earth and I have no problem with the artistic direction Peter Jackson has taken with this franchise.

This movie was significantly better than the first and doesnt deserve near the criticism it has gotten on these boards. Everywhere else has glowing reviews of the movie outside of die hard book nerds. Fucks sake Rerollers, turn the nerd dial down a bit. Enjoy these movies for what they are.

9/10 for me.
You must be new here, this community hates EVERYTHING. The movie was great (as was the first), but I really think all the extra padding they've added proves that there was no reason to make it a trilogy beyond the obvious cash grab. That's really my only beef with these 2 movies so far.

Anyway, I'm really excited for the next one and I look forward to the day that I sit down and watch all 6 movies--in extended edition!--from start to finish. Fuck yeah!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyway, I'm really excited for the next one and I look forward to the day that I sit down and watch all 6 movies--in extended edition!--from start to finish. Fuck yeah!
That's going to probably be 15-20 hours worth of content? That's a pretty epic nerd day!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

9/10 for me.
Yeah, Mr. Sandy Vagina himself, as I said in my previous post, I don't care that they made departures from the book. They did it in the first one, too. Didn't bother me, I love the first movie. It's the fact that they madestupiddepartures from the book. Oh, your opinion is different? Clearly everyone but you has a sandy vagina. Calm down. Sheesh.

I will say that this movie was VERY different from the first in the decisions made for the screenplay.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
That's going to probably be 15-20 hours worth of content? That's a pretty epic nerd day!
LoTR Extended Editions (without credits) is 681 minutes (11.35 hours) / 726 minutes with credits (12.1 hours)
Hobbit #1 Extended is 182 minutes (Theatrical was 169 minutes)
Hobbit #2 Theatrical is 161 minutes

So far we are at 1,024 minutes / 17.06 hours when counting LoTR without credits + extended Hobbit #1 + theatrical Hobbit #2.
I am not sure how much of The Hobbit running time is credits, can't find it in a wiki or anything.

Assuming another ~15minutes for extended Hobbit#2 and another 180 minutes for extended Hobbit #3 and you have ~1,219 minutes / 20.32 hours for the 6 films.

Personally I hope Hobbit #2 and #3 have much more than 15 extra minutes as extended. Hopefully #3 runs as long as RoTK (250minutes without credits).

There is a ton of stuff #3 can have.. The conclusion of Smaug stuff, the battle of the five armies, gandalf stuff, maybe we even see Gollum get captured ? What happens with Tauriel? Im thinking she dies. Im thinking we might see Saruman become tainted too.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
And, while I fully realise that I'm not going to see the book, I'm seeing a movie adaptation of the book, the movie just made stupid departures. The female elf and the love thing with a dwarf? Including Orcs where there shouldn't have been any, dipping the dragon in gold, and on and on and on it could go. Plus, the barrel scene is one of the best parts in the book, and they just completely messed that up.
I completely agree with this.

Also while I was watching this moving I kept saying to myself, man that's a lot of apparent CGI effects. There were only one time in the LotR series that I felt this way. (When Legolas took down the giant elephant. It was very apparent in his bouncing all over the place that it was a CGI Legolas.)

Best part of the movie for me was the conversation between Thorin and Thranduil when the wood elves have captured them. Close second was the conversation between Bilbo and Smaug.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I completely agree with this.

Also while I was watching this moving I kept saying to myself, man that's a lot of apparent CGI effects. There were only one time in the LotR series that I felt this way. (When Legolas took down the giant elephant. It was very apparent in his bouncing all over the place that it was a CGI Legolas.)

Best part of the movie for me was the conversation between Thorin and Thranduil when the wood elves have captured them. Close second was the conversation between Bilbo and Smaug.
Interesting. I thought Thranduil was so over-acted it destroyed his character. Not typical for Lee Pace, which makes me think it was a director's decision. We all certainly have distinct preferences when it comes to movies, don't we?
smile.png

Also, what on earth were the wood elves surrounding the king and Thorin wearing? They looked a bit like storm troopers. Seemed most unlike the wood elves to be so heavily armoured.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
You must be new here, this community hates EVERYTHING. The movie was great (as was the first), but I really think all the extra padding they've added proves that there was no reason to make it a trilogy beyond the obvious cash grab. That's really my only beef with these 2 movies so far.

I mentioned this earlier... I am pleasantly surprised how positive people have been about this movie. I think for the most part people have enjoyed it. I've seen a handful of negative comments thus far which equates to me that it must be a pretty good movie. (You can check my review a few pages back... I loved it.)

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The only real problem I had was the added filler was a mix of cool background/lore/character stuff you normally wouldn't get out of the book and foofy pointless stuff. The whole Laketown bit was pretty meh and I would have preferred other ways of finally seeing the dwarves do shit besides the pointless Smaug fight. Even with the addition of the Orcs, specifically to add action to the movies, the dwarves don't get to really fight them at all in either movie so far, just run and run. As opposed to TWO elves who just say 'wtf pussies' and go on a murder spree.

Edit: I did enjoy the movie. I am looking forward to the third. I would say it's about equal to the first, probably better but each had fairly different things going on so I find it hard to even compare.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I thought honestly the extra forge stuff with Smaug was required. Think how a literal adaptation of the book would have played out in film. Bilbo sneaks in, steals a cup, sneaks back out, goes back in, short dialogue with Smaug, angry dragon flies out, burns town, dies. Would have been boring as hell if you ask me.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I thought honestly the extra forge stuff with Smaug was required. Think how a literal adaptation of the book would have played out in film. Bilbo sneaks in, steals a cup, sneaks back out, goes back in, short dialogue with Smaug, angry dragon flies out, burns town, dies. Would have been boring as hell if you ask me.
And it actually shows off the Dwarves not being outwitted for once. I loved all the stuff going on with the Dwarves vs Smaug.