The Hobbit

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
It was better than the first. I could nitpick, but seriously, whats the point. It was entertaining.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not only that, but is there any explanation to the black arrows' rarity? If you know its the only thing that can slay a dragon, which oh-by-the-way is having a nap across the pond, why wouldn't you have an arsenal of them created to defend your matchstick town? Are black arrows made of preserved Balrog penises and that hard to come by or something?
It's just one of those things you overlook. Like when that little dorf was rolling in his barrel taking out all the orcs, then he landed did his "Barrel whirlwind", busted out of his barrel and jumped into the river where there was conventaly a spare empty barrel for him to jump back into(all the while bilbo is stuck hanging on the side of one :p).

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not only that, but is there any explanation to the black arrows' rarity? If you know its the only thing that can slay a dragon, which oh-by-the-way is having a nap across the pond, why wouldn't you have an arsenal of them created to defend your matchstick town? Are black arrows made of preserved Balrog penises and that hard to come by or something?
Aside from being Dwarf-made, specifically from the Dwarves in Erebor, that was about it. It was special in the sense that Bard always managed to retrieve it every time it was shot.

spronk

FPS noob
haha when I first saw the gold dwarf I thought he was going to turn into a dwarf transformer and fight smaug, godzilla style

decent enough movie, I liked kate in lost so she was great here too. I can't believe she spent a year filming her scenes though, must be more in part 3. I don't get the sauron thing at all either, I guess gandalf must get his memory c3p0'd for him to not start preparing now

I know in the book bilbo's ring does work against smaug but it woulda been interesting if dragon magic was stronger than sauron magic and he could see the ring bearer. Would have made a nice suggestion that smaug is older and stronger than sauron, and neither side want him alive. probably piss off fanboi's too much though. the ring worked well against the spiders, against smaug it seemed pretty useless, just being tiny was the bigger help. thorin balancing on smaug's nose was awesome/hilarious.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think I was too busy being astounded by the amount of gold those fucking dwarves had in that mountain. The piles Smaug was sleeping on, plus the forges being practically filled, plus the gigantic statue. God damn those dwarves were rich as all hell.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
One thing I wondered about (and actually I wondered about this in the book as well) is how did Smaug get all that gold into one giant room? Obviously the dwarfs didn't have their entire national wealth piled in their great hall, and Smaug is clearly too large to enter the smaller chambers and hallways that criss-cross the mountain.

Saw it last night and I liked it a lot. Just generally a much better movie then the first, and they absolutely nailed Smaug. I also didn't mind the she-elf being added. Sure she was there for a forced (but thankfully brief) romance, but most of the fighting action revolved around her and Jedilas so that was okay.

edit: Maybe he hired some folks to move everything and then ate them when they were done McCheese.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
One thing I wondered about (and actually I wondered about this in the book as well) is how did Smaug get all that gold into one giant room? Obviously the dwarfs didn't have their entire national wealth piled in their great hall, and Smaug is clearly too large to enter the smaller chambers and hallways that criss-cross the mountain.
I thought they showed the Dwarf King in Movie #1 surrounded by all that gold in the hall, except it was more organized. Basically yes, they kept all their wealth there and Smaug basically knocked over all the piles of treasure to create a big pool of gold.

Column_sl

shitlord
Movie was great, sucks I have to wait another year because they stopped it right before my favorite section of the cartoon version

Column_sl

shitlord
I thought they showed the Dwarf King in Movie #1 surrounded by all that gold in the hall, except it was more organized. Basically yes, they kept all their wealth there and Smaug basically knocked over all the piles of treasure to create a big pool of gold.
He did, he went crazy and made a huge scrooge Mcduck moneybin right before Smaug attacked.

Also in the extended version they show why the Elf king hates the dwarfs so much.

Column_sl

shitlord
Speaking of the movie versus the cartoon.

I really loved some sections of the cartoon dialogue better. For instance, one of my favorite parts is when Bilbo confidently mocks Smaug by telling him he has a scale missing, and Smaug becomes irate at that point
In the movie version that same scene plays a little bit like a comedy.

I also always liked that the black arrow was shot by a magic bow versus the harpoon they have in the movie.
Sure that is closer to the book version, but meh.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also in the extended version they show why the Elf king hates the dwarfs so much.
You would think that would be a crucial bit of information you wouldnt leave out of a theatrical cut. I would happily omit the bullshit singing while cleaning plates scene to fit that in.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They didn't really go into detail in the LOTR movies either, but you could tell there was some bad blood between Elves and Dwarves then too.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I really hope they don't end the third movie with a LOL LOTR remake coming soon!
only because that means its another 5 god damn years to watch that trilogy.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
That makes sense. I don't remember that scene, but I haven't seen the first one since last December so my memory of it is foggy.