The Hobbit

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The only real problem I had was the added filler was a mix of cool background/lore/character stuff you normally wouldn't get out of the book and foofy pointless stuff. The whole Laketown bit was pretty meh and I would have preferred other ways of finally seeing the dwarves do shit besides the pointless Smaug fight. Even with the addition of the Orcs, specifically to add action to the movies, the dwarves don't get to really fight them at all in either movie so far, just run and run. As opposed to TWO elves who just say 'wtf pussies' and go on a murder spree.

Edit: I did enjoy the movie. I am looking forward to the third. I would say it's about equal to the first, probably better but each had fairly different things going on so I find it hard to even compare.
Cause they didn't have fucking weapons lmao. And they're in god damn barrels traveling downstream.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Based on what people here said I expected the movie to be a lot better. The trilogy really should have been just two films and between An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug you can see where there is just too much down time. Too much frivolous bullshit added in for my taste. I didn't hate the movie but it wasn't any better than the first one. That said the third one looks to be awesome with how much is going to have to be done.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
God, when nameless elf chick is doing her elvish healing she does this stupid thing with her mouth that made me think of

My girlfriend and I bost started bursting into laughter when it happpened.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am not a book purest and let's admit it, it is not a perfect work of fiction without holes.

The stuff they added was not just filler, but set up the stage for what is to come. The finale will come together much more coherently when you realize why the five armies are there, recognize some of the faces, and have some sort of an emotional tie to each.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Knew the purists were going to be extra pissed after this one, but I really enjoyed it, despite the filler. I could live without elf boobies lusting after stubby chubby, but the rest of the added stuff was at least entertaining. The purists are going to nitpick like crazy, of course. I felt the pacing was a lot better in this one and the action sequences were a lot more entertaining. The battle in the dwarf city was worth the price of admission by itself, as far as I was concerned.

The key thing people are forgetting here is that Jackson is cramming the Necromancer together with the Hobbit, which were two stories that happened 300 years apart in the books and had drastically different tone to them. Liberties had to be taken with the story on that basis alone. Then there is the issue that Tolkien never wrote a strong female lead in the books, aside from Galadriel and maybe the Rohan princess who's claim to fame is smacking the Witch King and settling down with Faramir. The original books are basically just hours and hours of bromance with barely any mention of a female character in them. So you get this added in female elf (and the inflated role of Arwyn in the LOTR) to appeal to more modern audiences. I really have no problem with this if it means a new generation is absorbing this instead of Hunger Games or Twilight.

Anyhow, my favorite part of the movie is where they ended it. You could hear an audible audience wide groan and my wife is still bitching about it three days later. Fucking awesome troll job by Mr. Jackson! I look forward to the third, which should be 1/3 Smaug vs River People, 1/3 Battle of Five Armies, and 1/3 Necromancer wrap up. That will be an awesome movie, especially with the dark tone they are taking with the Dwarves in this series.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Cause they didn't have fucking weapons lmao. And they're in god damn barrels traveling downstream.
Well obviously they couldn't stand and fight in the barrels. But my point was they literally have run from the orcs for 2 movies straight. Actually, the barrels was the closest thing to a fight the dwarves had against the orcs. In Laketown they just get saved by Elves again (only a few dwarves there). It's a huge contributing factor to the dwarves seeming blundery and incompetent, even though they aren't. It's probably my biggest gripe across both movies, they never make the dwarves seem that outnumbered or outmatched by the orc trackers yet they're always scared of them. The only time they gave the orcs a huge numerical superiority was in the barrel scene which again, was the only time the dwarves really fight back. It's just a dumb way to use padding.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well two points about that. First, the books had the dwarves as blundering and incompetent. Plus, they were all big time greedy assholes. The movie made them much more heroic, but the tone has been changed to appeal to a more mature audience than the Hobbit originally was written for. They pretty much lost every fight they were ever involved in when Gandalf or elves were not bailing them out during the Hobbit and the movie pretty much follows that. Second, it makes sense that they would put up a better fight in their home city because they knew the lay of the land better than even Smaug did and they were fighting for their home with their backs against the wall. I am willing to give the barrel chase a pass because it was, frankly, fucking entertaining.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The key thing people are forgetting here is that Jackson is cramming the Necromancer together with the Hobbit, which were two stories that happened 300 years apart in the books and had drastically different tone to them. Liberties had to be taken with the story on that basis alone.
What?

The Necromancer stuff happens in parallel with The Hobbit in the book, that is where Gandalf vanishes to half way in. They think they are throwing a Ringwraith out of Dol Guldur and it turns out to be Sauron's spirit because "angels" can't die. The only other story is Gandalf meeting Thorin's grandfather dying in the dungeon there when it actually is a Ringwraith running the place and getting the key to the lonley mountain or whatever (which is like a paragraph in the appendices of Lord of the Rings), did they put THAT into the film?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
What?

The Necromancer stuff happens in parallel with The Hobbit in the book, that is where Gandalf vanishes to half way in. They think they are throwing a Ringwraith out of Dol Guldur and it turns out to be Sauron's spirit because "angels" can't die. The only other story is Gandalf meeting Thorin's grandfather dying in the dungeon there when it actually is a Ringwraith running the place and getting the key to the lonley mountain or whatever (which is like a paragraph in the appendices of Lord of the Rings), did they put THAT into the film?
i've only ever read the first edition of "the hobbit." when does all this shit supposedly take place? the version of the book i read, there is absolutely no tie in to the LOTR whatsoever. in fact, gollum bets the ring on the game of riddles and loses it fair and square and never even complains about it. there is never any mention about the ring being anything more than just an invisibility ring. and i've read all three LOTR books as well and don't remember any mention of a necromancer in those, either. are there newer editions that his son wrote or added to or something? i don't remember any of this shit from the book that i read. in fact, i don't think the dwarves even meet bard until after he slays the dragon in the book. i don't recall the barrel part in the book to have any action in it at all (don't they just escape in the barrels and float down stream?) i know they added all the stuff with the dwarves in the lair with smuag, cause in the book, only bilbo goes in and smaug and he talk for a while and then smaug thinks that he was sent by the humans from lake town and then takes off to destroy them. i don't think he even knew the dwarves were with bilbo (although i haven't read the book in a long time so i could be remembering it wrong).

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Got around to this tonite. I really enjoyed it much more so than the 1st one.

It's funny how people expected them to stay true to the book, when filler is absolutely needed in this trilogy. Aren't we passed this yet? There were some parts that were done better, some worse, but I much more enjoyed the changes than not.

They ended the movie perfectly IMO. The better half was REALLY pissed they ended it where they did, but now she can't wait for the last installment.

Smaug was perfect in every way. Voice, lines, smarts, anger...everything. He was 10/10 IMO.

Go see it if you're just a movie fan. Go see it if you're Hobbit fan. Don't go see it if your some sort of purist.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
i've only ever read the first edition of "the hobbit." when does all this shit supposedly take place? the version of the book i read, there is absolutely no tie in to the LOTR whatsoever. in fact, gollum bets the ring on the game of riddles and loses it fair and square and never even complains about it. there is never any mention about the ring being anything more than just an invisibility ring. and i've read all three LOTR books as well and don't remember any mention of a necromancer in those, either. are there newer editions that his son wrote or added to or something? i don't remember any of this shit from the book that i read.
Tolkien himself revised The Hobbit when he began work on LOTR. He basically retconned all the stuff about the ring and Gollum to create a connection with The Lord of the Rings. Since it was Tolkien who did it, I'd say that the revised version is canon and the first edition is an outdated curiosity.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw it last night, thought it was great. Was shocked where it ended, was not expecting it, not realizing the 2.5 hours was already up.

Loved the barrels.

I didn't like the barrel chase scene...although I will admit the Bombur part was pretty funny. I also didn't like the godawful rabbit sled chase in the first Hobbit, just a pointless action scene with "cute" things that just wasted screen time for plot. In Desolation of Smaug the barrels went on for too long and the invincible elven Jedi Knights slaying orc after orc just came off as dumb and lazy because no one seemed to be in any danger other than the herp derp orcs. Maybe the guy who took an arrow...but it was all good because he happened to fall right into one of the fucking barrels.

Like didn't Peter Jackson remember his own movies? The good guys at Helm's Deep were taking huge losses and even Legolas and Aragorn had to fall back several times even though they were personally doing pretty well. This time it seems like Legolas and Tauriel could kill every orc in Mordor and stand around with a slightly bloody lip afterwards. Which, oh right, happened at Lake Town after he soloed most of their entire raiding party.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I didn't like the barrel chase scene...although I will admit the Bombur part was pretty funny. I also didn't like the godawful rabbit sled chase in the first Hobbit, just a pointless action scene with "cute" things that just wasted screen time for plot. In Desolation of Smaug the barrels went on for too long and the invincible elven Jedi Knights slaying orc after orc just came off as dumb and lazy because no one seemed to be in any danger other than the herp derp orcs. Maybe the guy who took an arrow...but it was all good because he happened to fall right into one of the fucking barrels.

Like didn't Peter Jackson remember his own movies? The good guys at Helm's Deep were taking huge losses and even Legolas and Aragorn had to fall back several times even though they were personally doing pretty well. This time it seems like Legolas and Tauriel could kill every orc in Mordor and stand around with a slightly bloody lip afterwards. Which, oh right, happened at Lake Town after he soloed most of their entire raiding party.
yeah i agree. there is absolutely no sense of danger or any kind of build up of suspense in the hobbit movies. i stated it before, but even though i knew what was going to happen in the LOTR movies, the sense of danger and the suspense seemed real. in these movies, it's just stupid silliness that seems like the benny hill music should be playing in the background.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
... And if Peter Jackson had made a super serious movie, without the silliness and fun, you same fuckers would be crying foul that he had changed the heart and intent of achildren's book.

He showed you the type of trilogy he would be making in the first hobbit, but now you expect him to do a complete 180? LotR's is for adults and Hobbit is for kids. PJ has mostly stayed true to that.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
Thorin's rant about the aim of men vis a vis smaugy.
Apparently no one ever took him aside and said " hey stumpy , you have a fuckzillion pieces of gold. Make lots of windlasses and black arrows , hire some pro archers . It will be worth it , if the unthinkable happens. )

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thorin's rant about the aim of men vis a vis smaugy.
Apparently no one ever took him aside and said " hey stumpy , you have a fuckzillion pieces of gold. Make lots of windlasses and black arrows , hire some pro archers . It will be worth it , if the unthinkable happens. )
Give that shit to the elves, they don't seem to miss :p

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
... And if Peter Jackson had made a super serious movie, without the silliness and fun, you same fuckers would be crying foul that he had changed the heart and intent of achildren's book.
Ha I have been meaning to post something to that effect. I guess most people here didn't read the Hobbit or read it with the viewpoint that they were reading adult fiction when Tolkien actually wrote those stories for his children, who were around 2-15 years old at the time. Funny seeing people compare the hobbit to the star wars prequels as the stars wars prequel come off less as a children's story then a really poor attempt at young adult fiction.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not only that, but is there any explanation to the black arrows' rarity? If you know its the only thing that can slay a dragon, which oh-by-the-way is having a nap across the pond, why wouldn't you have an arsenal of them created to defend your matchstick town? Are black arrows made of preserved Balrog penises and that hard to come by or something?