The Leftovers

velk

Trakanon Raider
Also wtf is with rifle guy and the sheriff going along with him at the end? "They ain't our dogs no mo...." Because dogs killing wild game and eating meat is somehow a crime against nature or something? I know that most of the "leftovers" were portrayed as unbalanced powder kegs but good lord that was retarded.
Aren't they all unrepentant sinners, godless heathens and atheists?

This is the show based on the fundamentalist christian fanfic about how they suffer after all the righteous are taken up by the rapture right? 8)

Gask

Silver Baron of the Realm
Aren't they all unrepentant sinners, godless heathens and atheists?

This is the show based on the fundamentalist christian fanfic about how they suffer after all the righteous are taken up by the rapture right? 8)
Except that they made a point of showing that this wasn't the rapture; the people that were spirited away were completely random and some were even considered to be douchebags by their closest relations. For instance the child beating mother the protestor was talking about at Hero's Day, the lowlife brother mentioned at the town meeting, the actors the barkeep was talking about and some others mentioned here and there. Who knows maybe aliens did it
tongue.png

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Usually try to give a show more than 2 episodes before I say it's lousy, but...this is lousy. I know there's supposed to be some vague spooky shit going on, but when you're relying on tension in the form of vague post-it note messages and disappearing fucking bagels, you're doing something wrong.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
From what I've read here and elsewhere, the vague/spooky shit won't even be a focal point or explained, so if the other parts aren't really well done, I can't see how this is good.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I think both episodes were produced and acted well. But, in agreement with you guys. It's just really, really boring.

The concept I still think is intriguing. I'll give it probably this whole first season and then decide to keep going or not. Sunday nights are boring anyway.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So basically this show is one big story of each character's way of dealing with their mini PTSD meltdown in the wake of the disappearances? Color me fucking bored. I kept hoping there was something special/mystical about the Guilty Remnant, but there isn't it seems. It's just a boring ass one hour drama of sad/disturbed people and how they cope. I'll pass.

• 1Picard

khalid

Unelected Mod
If they take this show beyond the book, it might be more interesting. However, the book ended on a very blah note for most of the people that read it in the book club. So if all it does is cover the first book, forget it.

I do plan on watching it just to see if the portrayal of survivors is more balanced than the book. I felt like the author did a poor job in explaining why so many people acted the way they did, and also never having any character that would have reacted to it the way I think I would have.

Bodger

Silver Knight of the Realm
heh...i dont even know what they're going for with this show man....but...

• 1Picard

khalid

Unelected Mod
I really hate the GR. They are the equivalent of the Westboro baptist church and I just have a visceral hatred of them. Yet the book (and show) spend a good 1/3rd of the time focusing on them. I don't know if the author wants us to hate them or feel sorry for them, but I sure as fuck find it hard to enjoy a show that spends so much time making me watch them.

• 1Picard

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
HBO needs to drop this shit and make an actual sci-fi show.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just don't understand why. They could have made this really great.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I just don't understand why. They could have made this really great.
Its based on a non sci fi book and seems pretty faithful to the real point of the book.

Drop Strong Belwas and nerds fucking rage that the show isnt like the source material. Stick to it and its gay and could have been cool if it was all sci fi and filled with lasers.

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Its based on a non sci fi book and seems pretty faithful to the real point of the book.

Drop Strong Belwas and nerds fucking rage that the show isnt like the source material. Stick to it and its gay and could have been cool if it was all sci fi and filled with lasers.
Yep - let's compare source material that's wildly heralded as some of the best fantasy stuff out there vs. something that people claimed made NO IMPACT on them despite being a rerolled book club selection. Can't see why people wouldn't want to change that.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They should have just remade The Stand again. What a fucking waste.

• 1Solidarity

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Did I miss something after the first 20 minutes? Closed the HBOgo window cause I was disinterested.