The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I just started HZD on Saturday and I'm loving it. Not far enough into the game to compare it to BotW though. BotW is a top notch game all around.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I just started HZD on Saturday and I'm loving it. Not far enough into the game to compare it to BotW though. BotW is a top notch game all around.

I liked HZD a lot at the beginning, but I found it soured near the 20 hour mark. I'm weird in that regard though, most people consider it a solid title. I'd be interested to see how you feel about it in 20 hours or so though.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So, I've been digging thru the WiiU version of the files, and found a picture of a 14th memory from the base game, there is no *.mov file associated with this picture though like how the rest of them are structured.

pict_013.jpg

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

I personally don't think the games are all that similar to be honest out side of being open world. Horizon is a 3rd person shooter with light RPG character building elements and a tightly crafted and told story.

Zelda is more of a fantasy hack and slash game focused on survival and realism to overcome obsticles the world presents. The story is very loosely formed, mainly existing in memories and recollections from NPCs. It is also much less linear.

With that said Horizon is a great game on it's own as well as Zelda and your library is not worse off for having both.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Got to the little shrine that gives you time stop last night, spent atleast an hour trying to freeze the boulder that moves, then trying to knock it into the other boulder blocking the path. I got it at one point then forgot about the next boulder dropping because I was so excited and got rekt. About 20 mins later I realized I could just hit the boulder sitting still with the time freeze, I assumed you had to have something with momentum for it to work.

I love that there is almost no hand-holding, I do hate that the controls are backwards from almost any other game, I keep using items or getting hit by enemies. Great game otherwise.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
You mean other games have backwards control schemes from Nintendo, since they had been using that scheme for a decade before any competitors.

Also in Japan the PS4 still follows that scheme. For some reason Sony USA flipped it for the PS2? in the 90s and Microsoft copied it for the Xbox.

Hekotat

You mean other games have backyards control schemes from Nintendo, since they had been using that scheme for a decade before any competitors.

Also in Japan the PS4 still follows that scheme. For some reason Sony USA flipped it for the PS2? in the 90s and Microsoft copied it for the Xbox.

However you want to put it, I'm so used to certain buttons doing certain things it's fucking me up. It's going to be really hard going back and forth between bloodborne.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah it's a bit annoying. I usually play any new Switch games I have in a row before going back to PS4.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

Yeah it's a bit annoying. I usually play any new Switch games I have in a row before going back to PS4.

Normally that's what I'd do but since it's 100+ hours on zelda it kinda fucks up swapping around if I felt like playing Bloodborne.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Spoiler for the main dungeons in the game.

I don't 100% agree with him, but the divine beasts were the weakest part of the game imo.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
More original boss fights would have been ideal. I really liked fighting Lynels, but it got repetitive. Wish the Divine Beast boss fights were better. Having new items like a boomerang or hookshot would have helped.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

I think the next will actually be more like the 3ds than just full open world like BOTW - it will be a mix, but still have certain things that are needed for progression, but able to acquire those things in whatever order you want.

Del

Vyemm Raider
BOTW did some things extremely well, but the dungeon design was a travesty. If they had nailed the dungeon design and added more of them this game could have been the potential GOAT.

• 1Solidarity

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
BOTW did some things extremely well, but the dungeon design was a travesty. If they had nailed the dungeon design and added more of them this game could have been the potential GOAT.

This.

The divine beasts were cool and all, and the story elements were ok, with the Zora one being the best story, but it would have been so much better with some sprawling underground dungeons to find. Hyrule castle was awesome, but it was far too short, and there was only one place like it.

The next one should have the open world almost exactly like BOTW, but with at least 9 huge underground dungeons to find, and maybe even add a bunch of places where you need items from other places for maximum, frustr.... I mean Rewarding! gameplay :)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

The thing is, if you think of "What a dungeon" is - in the past zeldas, esp the 3d ones - and then "what we feel" the "dungeons" are in BOTW - sometimes it is a matter of perspective.

Take death mountain in other games, the dungeon was in the mountain you wondered around, got shit- fought a boss. So "Death Mountain" vs the lizard divine beast - yeah sucked, was small etc.

If you consider the entire chain of quests/events from start with the cannons and getting morphine for the old rock chief all the way to the end of the divine beast as "the dungeon" then its fairly equivalent.

The path to, in and the time inside the yiga base to the boss as "a dungeon" again- not bad.

So "elements of the dungeons" are spread out and part of the overall world. However still with that, I feel they could do more and do better and keep them kind of more unique and contained while still keeping all the stuff they did awesome in botw

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's potentially the GOAT for me, blemishes and all. And it's got a lot of blemishes. The Divine Beasts, as mentioned, were pretty underwhelming, but it's the sidequests that really started to get to me. They're just terrible, circa-2004 WoW style quests (with a few notable exceptions) that generally culminate in a silver rupee.

• 1Solidarity

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
A BotW sized Zelda game with 9 traditional Zelda-esque dungeons would honestly be my dream game. I found the open world incredibly rewarding in BotW so I don't want to see that go away, but having dungeons with proper item drops (things like the hookshot, power gauntlets, zora armour) would be amazing. These drops would be required to beat the dungeon but on the big overworld would just provide an enhanced way to explore, kind of like the Zora gear and Revali's Gale is currently in BotW.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would love to see them do a pallet/asset swap game like they did with Majora's mask, and do a modern rendition of the original Zelda. 9 dungeons going after the pieces of the triforce to unlock Gannon's dungeon and fight him. Now personally, at first I was kind of down with how BotW handled this just because they did have plenty of areas that worked like dungeons. There were three or four shrines like the island that had an entire area to work through to unlock it. They also had the labrynth shrines. But then I watched my son playing in Hyrule Castle (he is ahead of me since I was playing Mario) and it was the oddest moment of Nostalgia feels I have had in a long time. I need more of that in my life. Keep it simple and don't over think it. Just give us a 3d rendition of the originals, and I'll be a happy happy man.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Are the DLCs worth getting? I thought they were going to add a new dungeon but it looks like it's just new armor.