The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Any chance someone has the outline?

Well, I went back and found it and to absolutely no one's surprise it turns out that it was written by Lithose Lithose himself at least 7 years ago. I actually think it was copied from the old board, so who knows how old it actually is. Anyway, enjoy.

Two wasn't so terrible, but three ended up ruining it. Two seemed like they were on the road to an Asimov paradox--as in, what would a perfectly logical machine do, when given an order to protect humans but then seeing the greatest threat to human life, is other humans. And also maybe attempt to explain how man could have created "God" and why god would be flawed, even if all powerful.

The reason it looked like there were undertones of this in two was because there was a small scene in Zion, where a council member comes out and Neo is talking about how they need to destroy all machines (Ect) and the council member says "Oh? What about the machines that clean our garbage, or process our water--we'd die without them." And Neo says "We can destroy them if we want, we're in control." And the council member just shakes his head and admonishes him for associating destruction with control/reality (Typical human behavior). You almost had the sense like the council was actually made up of machines, who were trying to "teach" Neo about how fragile humans are and how machines are protecting them. Later, when Neo destroyed that machine in the real world, it seemed to reaffirm that Neo was, indeed in another level of the Matrix.

I thought three was going to reveal that the sky was blackened by mankind actually warring with itself. And at the last moment, when man was dying, the machines rose up, disarmed us and put us into the matrix. Within the matrix, we could have our violence and competition but they could ensure we would live--when someone dies in the matrix, they are simply "reset" with a new life (Hence some people feeling like they had past lives, or why some people die young--they actually had an old body in the real world from being reset.)...When the machines realized some humans wouldn't accept this, they created "The One" algorithm to collect all the dissidents, and being the loyal servants they are, made themselves the bad guys in a deeper level of the Matrix, allowing the humans to come together and focus their hate on their loyal machines, rather than each other.

At the end of the movie, we'd see Neo start to understand this, and realize the machines, while in control of everything and virtually omnipotent, have only ever cared about protecting humanity (And Humanities free will, allowing it to exist in a way that doesn't end humanity). This would effectively make the machines God and explain the conundrum of a benevolent God, allowing horrible things to happen, because God was created by man, for man. Neo then decided to become new Jesus, an entity given up by God to "open heaven", by Neo dying it cleans up all that "choice" code that was corrupt, and everyone can return to the Matrix--which is really man's "heaven", a place where he can be violent and safe at the same time.

But then they released three and were like...All that foreshadowing, what? lol, no Neo is just like a super hero with machine telepathy, bro. And the humans don't win or lose, instead they just kind of languish in the most unsatisfying ending we could think of.

• 6Like
  • 1Blown
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 7 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, I went back and found it and to absolutely no one's surprise it turns out that it was written by Lithose Lithose himself at least 7 years ago. I actually think it was copied from the old board, so who knows how old it actually is. Anyway, enjoy.

lol, yeah, I think it was a few years old when I copied it over the first time--I think I posted it in 09, or 08, even. Its old. Looking back on the first two films, there is so much foreshadowing about the machines being really concerned with humans acclimating to the matrix. I thought it would have been such a great twist if instead of that concern being purely due to wanting to control humans---that we'd eventually find out it was actually the machines being genuinely concerned for our welfare and attempting to build heaven to be as close as possible to what our fucked up, aggressive ape brains needed. It also blended well with their whole Jesus/God themes they had going on.

Oh well, though--instead we got a mess of different religious themes awkwardly blended together--and a decade later as both of the directors cut their dicks off, we found out why they created a muddled mess.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol, yeah, I think it was a few years old when I copied it over the first time--I think I posted it in 09, or 08, even. Its old. Looking back on the first two films, there is so much foreshadowing about the machines being really concerned with humans acclimating to the matrix. I thought it would have been such a great twist if instead of that concern being purely due to wanting to control humans---that we'd eventually find out it was actually the machines being genuinely concerned for our welfare and attempting to build heaven to be as close as possible to what our fucked up, aggressive ape brains needed. It also blended well with their whole Jesus/God themes they had going on.

Oh well, though--instead we got a mess of different religious themes awkwardly blended together--and a decade later as both of the directors cut their dicks off, we found out why they created a muddled mess.
i think back then we had a huge discussion on it, i expected there was some connection with the architect telling Neo he was but one of several eventualities and by Neo being able to fuck with the machines outside of the Matric, it meant he wasnt just a normal eventuality, but the eventuality of all eventualities. or something like that. the third movie shit on the architect's really interesting dialog to Neo. i still dont understand why the fuck they gave up on it. it almost makes me believe that whomever came up with that concept got his ass fired from writing the third movie. someday we may find out what happened.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think another relevant question is: why is anyone giving any Wachowski the time of day after cranking out so many flops?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They haven't gotten work since Jupiter Ascending. Hell, they basically phoned up J. Michael Straczynski and got him to rewrite the Ninja Assassins script in 2 days because it was pure shit and they had to hand it to the actors by Friday. After that it was Cloud Atlas.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I think another relevant question is: why is anyone giving any Wachowski the time of day after cranking out so many flops?
Good at giving head, I guess. They haven't made a dime on movies since VIFV.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I'd be happy with a sequel to Vendetta.

VI is for Vendetta. Woo!
They could sell the rights to a cage match with Zack Snyder to adapt another Alan Moore Project. That's the only way these fools are going to make A) a good movie B) money other than nostalgia.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I still think the action pieces in 2 are some of he best shit I’ve ever seen. That Keanu vs 100 smiths fight aged awfully but the whole escape, highway chase, twins, motorcycle semi truck shit - perfection . I still watch that scene on YouTube from time to time. 2 wasn’t perfect but like others said, would be remember even better if they didn’t blow 3. And I don’t get how they did. They filmed 2/3 back to back. So it’s not like there was a break or staff change that ruined the 3rd like the event Star Wars. They literally day to day made no sense.

Hopping on to say the exact same thing. Highway chase scene with the music by Juno Reactor is great. Unfortunately that's the about the only thing that still really holds up.

But Matrix 3 was so bad it dragged 2 down by association. So far that's it's better to just consider the Matrix as a single stand-alone film that represented the pinnacle of 90's cinema and leave it at that.

• 1Solidarity

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Best thing they could do is leave this alone: 2nd best thing they could do is other stories in the Matrix universe that have nothing to do with Neo.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Best thing they could do is leave this alone: 2nd best thing they could do is other stories in the Matrix universe that have nothing to do with Neo.
they could do a sequel, but it will have the problem of just following the story of the original Matrix. some nobody discovers he's The One and fights the machines. even if there was multiple matrixes. its going to be the same thing.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If they just decided to explore the other aspects of the universe like Animatrix did or just set it like 500 years after the events of the Matrix or something I could see it. But this has sounded like dogshit from day 1.

Everyone needs a friend or a colleague who will tell them the unvarnished truth. The Wachowskis need a friend who will just say "this is a bad idea." How many creatives have been ruined by hubris? ugh

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I fully expect this to be the worst of the 4 Matrix movies. I have zero faith that they can redeem themselves from the progressively worse turns they took the story in from 1 to 2 to 3. It is probably going to be a shit show.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I’d love the Animatrix short where they explored the AI development and war, but that would be a hard sell for financial backing since it would only have very faint relation to the films, unless you pulled some shit where Neo/Trinity/Smith were people during the before times or whatever, which would be a stretch

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Rumor has it that Neo chops his dick off in this one

• 2Worf
  • 1Direct to DVD
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I’d love the Animatrix short where they explored the AI development and war, but that would be a hard sell for financial backing since it would only have very faint relation to the films, unless you pulled some shit where Neo/Trinity/Smith were people during the before times or whatever, which would be a stretch

Didn't they allude to that whole scenario in "I, Robot" with the discarded robot city, and Wil Smith being the human/robot Jesus? It's been a while. Wasn't there also a monster AI like in Westworld Season 3? Ugh. All that shit is clusterfucking in my brain right now.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This film will be DOA. The Wachowski brothers things' only great movie is the first Matrix. The other 2 were passable but barely. Everything else they have done sucks.