The Netflix Thread

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I can't remember if it was discussed, but I just finished The Recruit on Netflix. I really hope they make more seasons of it. Ended with a cliffhanger. You have to suspend your disbelief a lot, but I liked it.
I really enjoyed this but it has a weird vibe. It does some serious stuff and great action then you have just some goofy comic relief. It somehow works cause I dunno if someone is about to get a blowjob or tortured.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What system are you using? What hard drives?
I'm not spronk spronk , but I have a similar setup using a Synology NAS. I use the Western Digital drives that are touted as being good for NAS, can't remember the fucking color though? Red maybe? I actually have two different NAS, both 8-bay, one of them with 2x the 5-bay expansions too, so a total of 26 drives. In the well over 10 years since I bought the first one with all the expansions, I've only had to replace a handful of drives. Which is actually kind of sucky because I was upgrading the sizes as I replaced them, but I've still got a ton of 1TB drives in that first set of 18, and a box full of 2TB just waiting to be used...that are now way out of date but I don't want to not use them. The second 8-bay is all 8TB drives.

In theory you can run Plex directly from a good NAS, but I don't know that I would want to count on it to do multiple streams and transcodes unless you had a super-duper NAS. I just use an old computer instead (which is probably far cheaper than the upgraded NAS would be anyway), and it works well. The limiting factor is my shitty Comcast upload speed that caps at 20mbps, so trying to send anything higher than 1080p is not happening. My parents don't care though, as they watch shit in 720p and don't even notice, even on a 75" TV.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
What system are you using? What hard drives?

missed this, i use a QNAP 5 bay NAS with 14TB shucked WD's, in the future I plan to build out my own TrueNAS NAS/Plex PC since QNAP kinda sucks in security. I'm currently using raid5 for minor redundancy, but its not super great since with these drive sizes if a drive fails there is a high chance of complete data loss since rebuilding from parity drive with 10tb+ sized drives requires zero read errors during a 30+ hour rebuild process which is a lot to ask.

I've been pruning my movies and TV shows though, honestly if its on netflix its just easier resubbing to Netflix once or twice a year to see random mediocre shit than try to keep it forever. I mostly keep 10/10 movies, TV shows I love and/or that are older.

Nowadays if people have decent smart TVs Plex runs perfectly fine on any NAS server since you can do direct stream with zero transcoding. You only need transcoding if you wanna support smaller form factor devices. There are issues with the codec type but in the last year release groups have finally figured out how to have a single MKV that supports Dolby Vision AND HDR10+ in the same encode, which has worked great across most smart players.

The only real issue is that LG tv smart app is kinda shitty with subtitles, if you don't wanna transcode (i have transcoding turned off on my plex) you have to turn off subtitles with the LG app. Apple TV+ device, Shield TV, Roku work just fine direct streaming.

anyways looks like wednesday renewal coming soon

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Void Void spronk spronk Thank you both. I have a large physical media collection and think it would be a ton easier to digitize it. So was thinking of building a NAS of some kind and ripping my blu-ray etc.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
missed this, i use a QNAP 5 bay NAS with 14TB shucked WD's, in the future I plan to build out my own TrueNAS NAS/Plex PC since QNAP kinda sucks in security. I'm currently using raid5 for minor redundancy, but its not super great since with these drive sizes if a drive fails there is a high chance of complete data loss since rebuilding from parity drive with 10tb+ sized drives requires zero read errors during a 30+ hour rebuild process which is a lot to ask.

I've been pruning my movies and TV shows though, honestly if its on netflix its just easier resubbing to Netflix once or twice a year to see random mediocre shit than try to keep it forever. I mostly keep 10/10 movies, TV shows I love and/or that are older.

Nowadays if people have decent smart TVs Plex runs perfectly fine on any NAS server since you can do direct stream with zero transcoding. You only need transcoding if you wanna support smaller form factor devices. There are issues with the codec type but in the last year release groups have finally figured out how to have a single MKV that supports Dolby Vision AND HDR10+ in the same encode, which has worked great across most smart players.

The only real issue is that LG tv smart app is kinda shitty with subtitles, if you don't wanna transcode (i have transcoding turned off on my plex) you have to turn off subtitles with the LG app. Apple TV+ device, Shield TV, Roku work just fine direct streaming.

anyways looks like wednesday renewal coming soon
Do you have gig upload speed or something? I download mostly 4K remux for myself, and it works great internally because there is no transcoding, but I literally can't send that to people outside of my network due to my upload speed. And even my spare computer (which is several years old, but still not exactly shitty) can't transcode 4K (even the lesser webrip-style 4K) to 1080p fast enough to actually allow people to watch it, so I have to think there is absolutely no way the processor in any NAS is going to do it better. Unfortunately Comcast is my only real option here too, so I'm stuck at the upload speed they offer me. Everything else is even slower.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah we have multiple networks into our house since wife is WFH and they pay for it, we have 1 gig fiber and backup 1 gig cable ($75/mo each) plus a backup Wifi router on Verizon mobile, so I can split people across them, the QNAP has two network interfaces which are hooked to different ethernet switches and you can direct Plex users to different port servers to spread load.

sadly upload speed is the key stat for sending videos over the net, transcoding 4k down to 1080p is probably your best bet but newer synology servers are supposed to be really good transcoding machines. You could do something whacky like mirror Plex servers remotely using rSync but I think thats getting a bit much.

The other option would be to download both 4k and 720p rips of everything, I do that for a few things that I absolutely love. Like I have a massive 585 gigs of Lord of the Rings + Hobbit 4K Dolby Vision extended edition rip, the 720p rips are ridiculously tiny (under 20 gigs) and Plex automatically will serve the right version - 4k locally, 720p remotely or mobile. Same with Godfather, Goodfellas, Star Wars, Rambo, etc. Fortunately most older TV shows are all limited to 480p anyways, nobody needs to see Hogan's Heroes or Looney Tunes in 4K.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
yeah we have multiple networks into our house since wife is WFH and they pay for it, we have 1 gig fiber and backup 1 gig cable ($75/mo each) plus a backup Wifi router on Verizon mobile, so I can split people across them, the QNAP has two network interfaces which are hooked to different ethernet switches and you can direct Plex users to different port servers to spread load.

sadly upload speed is the key stat for sending videos over the net, transcoding 4k down to 1080p is probably your best bet but newer synology servers are supposed to be really good transcoding machines. You could do something whacky like mirror Plex servers remotely using rSync but I think thats getting a bit much.

The other option would be to download both 4k and 720p rips of everything, I do that for a few things that I absolutely love. Like I have a massive 585 gigs of Lord of the Rings + Hobbit 4K Dolby Vision extended edition rip, the 720p rips are ridiculously tiny (under 20 gigs) and Plex automatically will serve the right version - 4k locally, 720p remotely or mobile. Same with Godfather, Goodfellas, Star Wars, Rambo, etc. Fortunately most older TV shows are all limited to 480p anyways, nobody needs to see Hogan's Heroes or Looney Tunes in 4K.
Ha, yeah if I had that level of upload I wouldn't care either. I'm stuck with one provider, at 20 up. Blech.

I do have multiple versions (4K, 1080p, etc.) of stuff specifically for that reason, but I was just trying to figure out how you didn't have to worry about transcoding unless you had insane upload speeds. Which you do.

The new Synology's might be better than my second PC at transcoding, but I'm not going to upgrade anytime soon, if ever. The unit itself is like 1K usually, without any drives, so I'll go until mine explodes. Very likely I'll be dead before then.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
White Noise was one of the worst movies ever Ive seen. I really have no idea what I just sat through.

• 2Like

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
White Noise was one of the worst movies ever Ive seen. I really have no idea what I just sat through.

I'm glad this wasn't just me. It is one of those movies where you seem to be expected to like it because...art. The first act was kind of meh and the second two were somewhat interesting. The only thing keeping me going was finding out who the guy that kept making appearances in each act was in the end.

My immersion is also damaged by families talking to each other like they do in this movie. Perhaps my wife and I are uncultured, but we talk to each other like the normal plebs we are.

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Loved drive 2 survive so much I tried the tennis show even though tennis is super gay. Poor decision, sucked, but only made it one episode and the first guy was a crybaby sociopath bitch boy.

heard it gets better but still sucks overall

• 1Worf

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀

I read up on it after the fact because I had a lot of questions.

It comes up enough to strike me as a marketing ploy, but it was developed from a supposedly 'unadaptable' novel published in 85.
HBO sat on it forever before it was actually pushed, 6 years to get put out ???

There was some interesting shit in it but the way everyone talked drove me fucking insane. Felt like Aaron Sorkin on Adderall or someone trying to port Wes Anderson's vibe into a sociological commentary. Very fart sniffy. I guess the second half gets heavy but at that point I'd stopped paying attention.

LCD Soundsystem at the end with the supermarket dance number was pretty much the best part, if you like overwrought hipster shit.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Watched The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker.

Really reinforces everyone involved in media is a bunch of sociopath pieces of shits that need to be fed into woodchippers. They saw from the beginning the dude was seriously disturbed but they could not care less, just wanted to get him on camera to make a quick buck off him.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Blantons4Ever

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Banned>
Watched The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker.

Really reinforces everyone involved in media is a bunch of sociopath pieces of shits that need to be fed into woodchippers. They saw from the beginning the dude was seriously disturbed but they could not care less, just wanted to get him on camera to make a quick buck off him.

i felt kai got screwd over. the old man prob did sexually assault him . and kai got 57 yrs in jail? seems unfair.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
JUNG_E was a bait and switch from what the trailer showed, different topic entirely from what was expected. Why didn't they just make the movie from the trailer?