The New England Patriots 2014 Playoffs Thread

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
The pass could have been better too. A little bit lower or to the right and it's either a catch or incomplete.
This is the big thing. Russ has to put the ball low or on Lockette's body instead of leading him. The other big thing from the Seahawks perspective is for that play to be really effective Kearse has to actually have the ability to pick/rub whatever Browner. There aren't many in the NFL that can and Bevell should have known that given that he was on the Seahawks last season.

All that however takes away from the fact that Butler played lights out ridiculous in the entire 4th quarter. The play on Lockette across the middle where they both tripped, the deep sideline ball that Kearse dropped or was forced out of his hands by Butler and then the INT on the goal line.

Gronk enjoying the parade

rrr_img_89711.jpg

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They have loosened up calling picks the last couple seasons, as long as they happen in the first 5 yards anyhow. I kind of don't like it because the rules are already so heavily slanted in favor of the passing game. The only reason the Pats got flagged earlier was due to it being a screen play that got blown up and they were actually blocking downfield too early, so not really the same situation as a pick. Really, that has not been called all year. The Pats just made an incredible play there and (as stated) Wilson needed to put that ball where no one else could make a play on it but his own guy. The short yardage passing game has not been the strong suit of the Hawks most of this season due to a number of reasons, but it just never mattered until the playoffs because they had such a strong running game or were facing poor teams. Read option also kind of helps mask its absence, too. Not to kick a dead horse, but if you are going to pass there at all it should have been a rollout anyhow.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Just checking in to let the pats fans know I'm reading all the gloating.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
kearse's pick/rub assignment was not on browner..he had to get BROWNER to pick/rub BUTLER

but ....that didn't happen browner forced/allowed kearse to drive straight back and not enough to the side like he was supposed to go, while butler shot by without a rub- which allowed him to get to the receiver at about the same time (technically he got there a hair early)

even with what happened. say wilson threw the ball 2' "right" (closer to lockett)... leave the entire play alone except for ball placement. that is either a bone crushing incomplete pass or a complete pass- no touchdown due to the hit knocking him Backwards , no chance of that ball getting in the end zone.

that kearse play was awesome- by BOTH players- butler made an great play and BROKE IT UP, the problem was. the ball fell PERFECT for kearse to be able to get his hands on. hell that could have been the defensive play of the game- if not for the way the ball came down.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Let's not forget that Kearse is a fucking terrible receiver who got lucky at the end of the championship AND the Superbowl. At least two of Wilson's picks in the championship game were balls that Kearse tipped to a defender.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
kam chancellor and k.j wright had such shitty games too. brady 10/11 against them
I'll take it a step further and say I don't think their entire defense played great for most of the game, the exception being the 3rd quarter where I thought they locked them down pretty good. Now injuries do have something to do with that, I think the Lane injury was a much bigger deal than I initially thought. You just can't let Brady light you up like that in the 4th quarter, twice.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I'll take it a step further and say I don't think their entire defense played great for most of the game, the exception being the 3rd quarter where I thought they locked them down pretty good. Now injuries do have something to do with that, I think the Lane injury was a much bigger deal than I initially thought. You just can't let Brady light you up like that in the 4th quarter, twice.
I agree our defense didn't play as well as the standard they set. I think mostly due to injures. I think our biggest defensive weakness is to smaller quick nimble receivers like Edelman. Ty Hilton blew us up last year when we lost to the Colts as an example.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, even Azeth is actually far less cuntish than normal, if anything. Of course some of that might be how people in general held their noses and rooted for the Pats just for the hope that Seattle would lose (I am in this camp) making the environment less toxic for him.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I think the swings of the game make people more humble. Every semi sane pats fan realizes this game was on the razors edge, and even if we are happy and gloat a bit its not like last year where one team didn't even belong in the game and you can legitimately bash people who thought it would go the other way as dumb. Either team this year could have won and I won't bash anyone who picked the hawks because it easily could have gone that way, unlike last year where I bashed tons of people who thought that soft broncos team had a prayer.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didn't see the Broncos getting blown out like that. Being shut down by the Seattle defense was one thing, but that anemic offense also being able to run up the score? Crazy.

the broncos meltdown was really something special. i mean, not a single thrown touchdown from peyton manning to what could be argued as the best receiving corps in the game

the seahawks D was somehow better last year though. could very well have just been perfect man matchups with what the seahawks fielded versus the broncos.

sometimes i worry about that when the pats play. Sure Gronk is indefensible for most players, but occasionally there's just a perfect guy(s) on a team that has an answer for small, fast, medium, large, hulking etc

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
the broncos meltdown was really something special. i mean, not a single thrown touchdown from peyton manning to what could be argued as the best receiving corps in the game

the seahawks D was somehow better last year though. could very well have just been perfect man matchups with what the seahawks fielded versus the broncos.

sometimes i worry about that when the pats play. Sure Gronk is indefensible for most players, but occasionally there's just a perfect guy(s) on a team that has an answer for small, fast, medium, large, hulking etc
We had a lot more depth at D line last year than this year. Last year's defense was close in style to the Giants D that gave the Pats so much trouble in their 2 losses in the SB. We could essentially put in 4 DEs on passing downs and get to Manning fairly easily, and it allowed us to rotate to keep our guys fresh. We didn't have that luxury this year.

It was released yesterday Kam played in the SB with a torn MCL and still had 10 solo tackles. Sherman played with torn ligaments in his elbow, it hasn't come out yet how bad Earl's shoulder was but it was obvious he wasn't himself out there. However the 2 biggest injures were to Jordan Hill before the playoffs as if we had had him Brady would have had a much harder time stepping up in the pocket to convert a couple of the long third downs he did in the 4th quarter, also the concussion to Avril hurt us far more than I thought. Mike Sando tweet Brady's stats with Avirl on the field and without, and its like night and day. With Avril his QBR is like 24.9 and without it was like 97.9 or something.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Broncos didn't show any mental resilience in SB48. I mean, the very first play was a snap count fuck up ending in a safety. That already showed they were very jittery. They never showed any fighting spirit.

Compare that to SB49, where the Seahawks hang on in the first half despite a non-existent offense for the first 23 minutes of the game. Likewise, the Patriots 4th Q comeback was an exceptional feat of mental fortitude.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I just love that last minute of the game where it's

make the play..or LOSE. the pat's made the plays-on Defense- to win.

and heck. we're young.

sign revis (please please please please please)
make a few other good signing to solidify O and D lines
decent draft

and the patriots are the team to beat in the AFC next superbowl (provided injuries don't fubar it up)

colts imo need alot of work to take the next step- and they are the next closest team to the patriots in the afc -probably- in the past 4 meetings since 2012, the patriots have scored 59,43,42 and 45 points in each game....

1- D line is WAY to "soft" against the run. the past 4 meetings the patriots have just...ran over the colt's defense getting on average over 200yards rushing each game(except for 2012's game only had 120 yds rushing)..
2- luck himself has to improve his game he makes too many mental mistakes that cost turnovers.