The New Mutants (2019)

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I bet the producers for this were thrilled when Legion aired and cut this movie off at the knees.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
So this is still coming out which is confusing. I don't think this is still going to be considered MCU Canon. However it looks like Marvel nixed all those supposed reshoots and let the director keep his original vision for the movie instead of what Fox had wanted him to change. Altogether it looks interesting. I like the feel and I was a huge New Mutants fan. I have all 100 issues in storage.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
what power does collosus's sister supposedly have? it has been a long time since i read this,,,i might have the new mutants graphic novel in my library.

it does look interesting, and better than that first trailer.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
what power does collosus's sister supposedly have? it has been a long time since i read this,,,i might have the new mutants graphic novel in my library.

it does look interesting, and better than that first trailer.
Illyana Rasputin goes by Magik. She has, well, magic powers for lack of a better term. Mostly focused around creating "rifts" that basically allow her to travel from one place to another (if I remember correctly she has to transit a short distance through another realm, like Hell but I don't think the Mephisto one (could be wrong)), and she can summon magical "armor" and a soul sword-type thing. Among tons of other magical shit, but those are the main ones, teleportation and gearing up. Once she grew up and mastered her powers and went through all kinds of terrible ordeals, she is pretty fucking powerful.

After typing that out from memory, I went and looked, so here you go:

Magik (Illyana Rasputin) In Comics Powers, Enemies, History | Marvel (make sure to click the "In comics full report" button)

Seems I was pretty close, just missed a few details, like it is limbo instead of Hell. She also became Sorceress Supreme at some point, it seems, so that alone tells you a lot about how powerful she is.

She was always one of my favorite New Mutants, and I'm glad they got someone decent to play her in a movie. Hopefully she gets pulled over into a Deadpool movie, keeping her in the MCU.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Also, she became lost in Limbo as a really young innocent child and lived an accelerated-time life in there while growing up and essentially becoming a sort of queen or something over some of the demon denizens and came out the other side as a magic/sword wielding badass. I don't read the comics anymore, but I know they've made her one of the core mutants in the comics over the past decade or so.

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
So this is still coming out which is confusing. I don't think this is still going to be considered MCU Canon. However it looks like Marvel nixed all those supposed reshoots and let the director keep his original vision for the movie instead of what Fox had wanted him to change. Altogether it looks interesting. I like the feel and I was a huge New Mutants fan. I have all 100 issues in storage.

Yeah it sounds like there was the original movie, then the reshoots fox wanted done to add a bunch of xmen tie ins and change it from a horror movie with mutants to an xmen movie with horror themes (the first delay). Then when Disney bought fox, they saw the movie, said "holy fuck this sucks, what else you got", so the director basically did a re-edit, removing all the Fox stuff and I think all the Xmen stuff and Disney liked it much more and gave it a release date. I want to say the rumors are this could stand as MCU canon since all the ties to the Xmen are gone and both of the female leads have become much bigger stars in the 2-3 years since they did this movie. I believe they also changed the stinger which was supposedly Jon Hamm as Mr Sinister to Antonio Bandaras as something else.

The director went so far as to say the current release is something he would be proud to promote, which says what he thought about the Fox version they made him cobble together.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The only character I really like in the new mutants is Illyana, others are fine but not ones I really look forward to. The girl playing her looks the part too, though I'm unfamiliar with her.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Wolfsbane and Warlock were good characters as well. I always had a soft spot for Cannonball as well

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
The only character I really like in the new mutants is Illyana, others are fine but not ones I really look forward to. The girl playing her looks the part too, though I'm unfamiliar with her.

She was the main character in The Witch and Split. I agree on her looking the part. My hope for this being part of the MCU is mostly that she keeps getting to play Magik, because she was one my favorite X-Men characters as well.

edit: oh, she was also Morgan in Morgan. She is pretty good at the cold killer girl.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Wolfsbane and Warlock were good characters as well. I always had a soft spot for Cannonball as well
If this was a made for MCU movie we would have totally got Warlock and Cypher.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Is the kid from Stranger Things supposed to be Richter or Havok?

Their powers are basically the same but Havok was Cyclops' brother.