The Office

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I switched off the pilot of the US Office about 5 mins into the first episode when it became it obvious it was just an inferior remake of the UK version, right down to the same by that time outdated Budweiser waaaaasuuup reference.

Everyone always tells me "yeah first office was just a bad remake BUT YOU HAVE TO KEEP WATCHING IT GETS BETTER", lol. There is zero chance I'm forcing myself to sit through shite to get to the good stuff, nope ain't happening

• 1Garbage
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I switched off the pilot of the US Office about 5 mins into the first episode when it became it obvious it was just an inferior remake of the UK version, right down to the same by that time outdated Budweiser waaaaasuuup reference.

Everyone always tells me "yeah first office was just a bad remake BUT YOU HAVE TO KEEP WATCHING IT GETS BETTER", lol. There is zero chance I'm forcing myself to sit through shite to get to the good stuff, nope ain't happening

I actually thought the exact same thing.

I still think the UK Office is better than the US Office for the episodes that follow the same story. However, the US Office had 4 large US seasons that were great where the UK office didn't even get to the length of one US season. So while I think they are both great I also think that outside the first few US episodes they are totally different shows.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I still think the UK Office is better than the US Office for the episodes that follow the same story. However, the US Office had 4 large US seasons that were great where the UK office didn't even get to the length of one US season. So while I think they are both great I also think that outside the first few US episodes they are totally different shows.

Well yes, my understanding is that the early version of the David Brent character in US Office was too close to the original - too much of a mean streak to really endear himself to US audiences, so they tweaked the character and the US Office became its own entity.

The reality is the UK Office was spawned from an era where reality TV and "fly on the wall" documentaries were EVERYWHERE, and it was meant to be semi realistic - or at least instantly familiar to anyone that has worked in an office.

I stand by my previous assertions that US comedy is mostly less high-brow than UK comedy

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Well yes, my understanding is that the early version of the David Brent character in US Office was too close to the original - too much of a mean streak to really endear himself to US audiences, so they tweaked the character and the US Office became its own entity.

The reality is the UK Office was spawned from an era where reality TV and "fly on the wall" documentaries were EVERYWHERE, and it was meant to be semi realistic - or at least instantly familiar to anyone that has worked in an office.

I stand by my previous assertions that US comedy is mostly less high-brow than UK comedy

The US office was a very realistic representation of working in an office. The UK office was much more stuffy and scripted than a real office is.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The US office was a very realistic representation of working in an office. The UK office was much more stuffy and scripted than a real office is.

Worked in many UK offices, have ya mate?

And that my friends is a prime example of why UK Office had to be dumbed down for a US audience

• 1Picard

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I like the UK office, but the US is better. At least up until Jim and Pam get married, after that it's running on fumes.

I never understood in the UK Office how did Brent get there in the first place. In the US version it's well established, and shown on screen, that Michael is a damn good salesman. I don't feel like anything other than Brent being a huge retard was established in the UK.

• 2Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I never understood in the UK Office how did Brent get there in the first place. In the US version it's well established, and shown on screen, that Michael is a damn good salesman. I don't feel like anything other than Brent being a huge retard was established in the UK.

It's kind of implied Brent just at some point got the job because he had seniority over other people moving to better jobs. I don't know about US office corporate politics but here in Europe there are a lot of companies that will promote you just because you stayed long enough.

I think both Michael and Brent reached the Peter Principle spot, which states that anyone doing great at some position could get promoted to a superior job and doing a shit job because they're out of their reach.

While it's only implied for Brent, Michael is a textbook "best employee, worst manager" case. Not only he doesn't understand what his mission is, he just avoids making challenging decisions, gets sentimental over petty stuff and is utterly ignorant of company policies.

While being a comedy show, it's quite relatable how the company deals with him, he's awful at his job and needs constant oversight but since his office brings nice sales, nobody from upper management wants to be the one firing him and being responsible if the sales numbers go down.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's kind of implied Brent just at some point got the job because he had seniority over other people moving to better jobs. I don't know about US office corporate politics but here in Europe there are a lot of companies that will promote you just because you stayed long enough.

I think both Michael and Brent reached the Peter Principle spot, which states that anyone doing great at some position could get promoted to a superior job and doing a shit job because they're out of their reach.

While it's only implied for Brent, Michael is a textbook "best employee, worst manager" case. Not only he doesn't understand what his mission is, he just avoids making challenging decisions, gets sentimental over petty stuff and is utterly ignorant of company policies.

While being a comedy show, it's quite relatable how the company deals with him, he's awful at his job and needs constant oversight but since his office brings nice sales, nobody from upper management wants to be the one firing him and being responsible if the sales numbers go down.
It's beena while since I've seen the UK one, I don't remember that part. But that makes sense. Especially about Michael

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Worked in many UK offices, have ya mate?

Dude. Do you think the US version of The Office is set in a UK office?

Unless there's a Scranton, Pennsylvania in the UK ... no.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I watched the UK Office before the US version came out and then watched the US version as it aired on TV. UK version gets kudos for creating the idea, but the US version is much more entertaining in its mid seasons. For the first season the UK/US versions are basically parallels anyways.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Dude. Do you think the US version of The Office is set in a UK office?

Unless there's a Scranton, Pennsylvania in the UK ... no.

I'll remind you of what you said:

"The US office was a very realistic representation of working in an office. The UK office was much more stuffy and scripted than a real office is. "

You haven't worked in a UK Office, therefore you don't know how realistic the UK office was. You've only worked in a US Office.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

It's beena while since I've seen the UK one, I don't remember that part. But that makes sense. Especially about Michael

If you had to question one aspect of Brent's career, it's why his boss nominates him as her replacement, and why the board then vote for him over Neil.

Last edited:

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

I promise it does get better. There's a whole thing about it on YouTube. Michael Scott was this horrible and unlikable character in season 1, but they changed him for season 2. They actually even say how it made it very hard for people to get into the office because of how bad michael was in season 1.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I promise it does get better. There's a whole thing about it on YouTube. Michael Scott was this horrible and unlikable character in season 1, but they changed him for season 2. They actually even say how it made it very hard for people to get into the office because of how bad michael was in season 1.

Yeah, I made that point earlier

But there's zero chance I'm watching an inferior remake of a 10/10 tv show until it stops being a remake, and becomes something more original. US comedy isn't for me, apart from Danny McBride stuff - and you could make an argument that your typical Danny McBride character is similar to a David Brent or Alan Partridge type. Most US comedy is too wacky, and everything I've seen of the US Office doesn't make me want to watch.

But watching that video, it also says that they had to change the storylines to make them more "optimistic" and "upbeat" for American audiences.

Last edited:
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande

"The US office was a very realistic representation of working in an office. The UK office was much more stuffy and scripted than a real office is. "

You haven't worked in a UK Office, therefore you don't know how realistic the UK office was. You've only worked in a US Office.
Have you worked in a US office, mate? Then stfu and go eat a crumpet. You don't have to work in an actual office in both the UK and US to know the US version is superior you elitist prick.

And you are right. Stick to UK only shows and let us Yanks watch entertaining shows here in the States. You are obviously too high brow.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

And you're a complete fucking moron if you think the US office is an actual realistic representation.