The Prepper Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i went and bought another kindle, not a nice one just a used one, but i got the paperwhite with free 3G service

it might be the last resort, obviously its just going in the bug out bag and i'll fill it with survival reading and then whatever other books... yes i also have old smartphones in my bugout bags, but youre not gonna turn on a smartphone to read how to live in the middle of the night (paperwhites have leds now), only to have it die 1hr later. kindles lasts for weeks and it's only 15bucks used on ebay.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Renogy 200 Watt Off Grid Portable Foldable Solar Panel Suitcase Built-in Kickstand with Waterproof 20A Charger Controller, 200W-Waterproof
Looking at this to keep my deep cycle charged without an outlet. I’m pretty lazy, so it’s only been used for the occasional HAM Radio club outing, but I’ve been meaning to get a legit solar setup for Field Day since my dad and family friend/mentor died.

Seems win/win with the Wu Flu...
This seems really expensive.

What are y'all using for a solar panel + controller + battery combo? I'm thinking about this

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Watt-Polycrystalline-Solar-Panel/dp/B018BOK9WU
https://www.amazon.com/Sun-YOBA-Pairs-Female-Connectors/dp/B00A8TRKJW
https://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-Charger-Controller-Intelligent-Regulator/dp/B01MU0WMGT
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SM5HBK1

Not really sure what I need to get that's compatible and won't fry the battery.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What are y'all using for a solar panel + controller + battery combo? I'm thinking about this

Something easily portable for HAM Radio, mostly. The waterproof controller would be handy when it gets left out for Field Day.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Something easily portable for HAM Radio, mostly. The waterproof controller would be handy when it gets left out for Field Day.
Speaking of ham, what's your opinion on
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-82HP-High-Power-Radio/dp/B015D9QYYS
?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
What are you trying to do with it, Tuco?

I went with Renogy for my shit, mostly because they're an American company. Also, they're located in CA, so if I had any issues with it I could've just driven over.

Plus a 100A lithium battery I bought directly from them (I would recommend going AGM though, unless you've got money to burn).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What are you trying to do with it, Tuco?

I went with Renogy for my shit, mostly because they're an American company. Also, they're located in CA, so if I had any issues with it I could've just driven over.

Plus a 100A lithium battery I bought directly from them (I would recommend going AGM though, unless you've got money to burn).
I'm mostly just filling up my prepper kit. Doubt I'd want it to be that portable, but who knows. I'll probably also take it camping.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
late night update last night, think i win for best shit hits the fan deal so far
3a0a1faf0962d96310ec667e46b18190.png

• 3Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
it's a price error, amazon still honored it and shipped it out, what am i going to do with 25lbs of salt? wars were started over spices!
Mail it to your favorite bernie/biden supporter when they lose in November.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there a good resource for solar panel wattage, to charge controller amps, to inverter wattage ratings? I’m looking at DIY’ing a “suitcase,” with the possibility of future expansion, and I’m not sure what kind of charge controller and inverter I should be looking at.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is there a good resource for solar panel wattage, to charge controller amps, to inverter wattage ratings? I’m looking at DIY’ing a “suitcase,” with the possibility of future expansion, and I’m not sure what kind of charge controller and inverter I should be looking at.

how much are you looking to charge? and what is it for? i have a 20w folding solar charger (the kind backpackers use) and in my sun room (i've never taking it outside, heh) it'll charge a 20,000mah battery in 5hrs

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
how much are you looking to charge? and what is it for? i have a 20w folding solar charger (the kind backpackers use) and in my sun room (i've never taking it outside, heh) it'll charge a 20,000mah battery in 5hrs

I have a 105AH Flooded Lead-Acid battery and a small 35AH. I’ve pretty exclusively used them for HAM Radio, but I’m looking to expand and branch out. I’d like to keep our iPad’s charged, and maybe a small appliance or two, while looking at upgrading to a pair of lithium batteries.

My solar experience is a 10w backpacking panel that I’ve used to keep a small usb battery pack charged for Pokémon Go.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm gonna be redoing the two bugout kits at hom, gonna expand from backpack to hiking backpack, and basically move those backpacks to one each per car

Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>
When sizing solar it is easier to work backwards. Figure out how many watts you need and how long you need it for. Once you know that start with the battery. Remember that you only want to use 50% of an AGM battery. So if the battery is 105AH you are really only going to be able to use 52.5ah or 630 watt hours. For Lithium batteries you can plan on 90% available. The other side of it is the battery chemistry determines what type of charger you need. AGM batteries can handle a huge load or large current draw (like starting a car). Lithium batteries prefer a smoother power curve (google C rate for batteries). Backwards when it comes to charging. Lithium batteries charge much faster than AGM due to the resistance in the battery.

• 3Like