The Prepper Thread

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
How many people participating in this have kids under 10? If I was solo, I'd just make sure I had some ammo and some jergens "daily moisture" in my bugout bag and I'd just plan on drinking possum blood to stay warm & hydrated. With a 2 year old, I'm trying to make sure I have room for her favorite 16 stuffed animals in the bugout bag. I'd also want her to understand the world that her parents lived in and everything that occurred before the collapse, so I'm trying to figure out how I can properly convey how much of a fucking douchebag Patton Oswalt was without having to bring a DVD player.

Anyways, Hoss Hoss - Where's the cheapest place to pick up some of those mountain house things?

I think that was Oldbased Oldbased

I don't think I've ever tried that stuff. i tried something I got from a gunshow once and it was garbage. Worse than MREs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
1-Year-Buckets3_900x.jpg

Anyone ever bought any of these 5 gallon buckets? I think they're what a lot of Mormons use. It's supposed to feed one person 2000 calories per day for a year for $2987 and they supposedly have a 25 year shelf life.

• 1Seriously?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
1-Year-Buckets3_900x.jpg

Anyone ever bought any of these 5 gallon buckets? I think they're what a lot of Mormons use. It's supposed to feed one person 2000 calories per day for a year for $2987 and they supposedly have a 25 year shelf life.
at that price, investing in your own freeze dryer machine might be an option
f827c4ef2860791392d13ba001e8bf7f.png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1-Year-Buckets3_900x.jpg

Not that brand, but I have a couple dozen Mountain House buckets. I bought individuals of the entree’s before I bought buckets, and they’re OK for what they are. Cereals and freeze dried fruits seemed like a waste of space, and you’ll get a lot of that in the massive bundles.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
at that price, investing in your own freeze dryer machine might be an option
f827c4ef2860791392d13ba001e8bf7f.png

i've been seriously thinking of getting a freeze dry machine

prepper shit aside freeze dried veggies and fruits are really fucking good

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
I got a few month supply boxes from patriot supply. They are dutifully waiting in the store room. I intend to get more. We have hurricanes so i wanted to have them for me not having to try to get last minute supplies for the family.

A friend is a Mormon I can ask him the rations they keep. Befriend a Mormon. They are obligated by scripture to be preppers.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I always have 3 months worth of variety canned food that we just kinda eat on a little (since it only good for about 2 years) and restock every once in a while. And we have well water plus a 2 acre pond.

In all honesty if something happens where 3 months of canned food can't get us through, and the power goes away after a couple months, we're in a situation that just not that many people are going to survive. Buying multiple years worth of expensive freeze dried food seems pretty silly to me unless you are part of a legit large for serious prepper group.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A friend is a Mormon I can ask him the rations they keep. Befriend a Mormon. They are obligated by scripture to be preppers.

My best friend is a Mormon. Maybe I should make a deal with him that he can come to the ranch if he brings enough freeze dried food for me.

I really think I'm in an ideal situation for the apocalypse without actually doing any prepping at all. I'm 25 miles from the nearest town, 500 miles from the nearest population center, and there's no one living within 15 miles of me that I don't know. We already have generators, wood stoves, unlimited amounts of firewood, guns, bulk fuel storage, farm machinery, and hundreds of tasty cattle wandering around. If he brought me some nice freeze dried lasagna for when I get tired of steak I think this could work out pretty well.

• 2Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Buying multiple years worth of expensive freeze dried food seems pretty silly to me unless you are part of a legit large for serious prepper group.

It’s really not very expensive though and surviving that initial chaos where everyone is fighting over food would make a large difference in your survival.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I always have 3 months worth of variety canned food that we just kinda eat on a little (since it only good for about 2 years) and restock every once in a while. And we have well water plus a 2 acre pond.

In all honesty if something happens where 3 months of canned food can't get us through, and the power goes away after a couple months, we're in a situation that just not that many people are going to survive. Buying multiple years worth of expensive freeze dried food seems pretty silly to me unless you are part of a legit large for serious prepper group.
That's kind of where I'm at, too. I'll get a case of that stuff if it's not some retarded price like I always see, but I'm trying to keep both legs in the grounded & civilized mindset, with a finger or two in the it doesn't hurt to be a little prepared mindset. It's the same consideration when looking at houses & property. I want to live somewhere that supports the type of life I want, but stuff like freshwater and solar onsite appeal more to the prepper side than anything else. I'm not going to go sell everything I own and build a battle wagon or anything, but I'll lean a little further one way than the other if there's a strong aspect that supports some kind of disaster planning.

Damn, I forgot that my friend (friend of a friend, really) sold all of his shit and built an amazing battle wagon about 15 years ago. Wish I had pictures, but our mutual friend moved to Puerto Rico 3 months ago and his phone is off. The guy that built that wagon was a young mechanical engineer that would do gig work/small contracts to design doodads and gizmos. He was also a decent programmer and electrician, and a fucking amazing welder, so his battle wagon was legit as fuck. Looked like something out of Mad Max, minus all of the non security/structural flare. It had a short trailer for a generator, too. There was something really cool about the generator but I don't remember what it was. Probably ran on cooking oil or something.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
battle wagon
This is my next project but more for ski trips than prepper nonsense.

I'm torn between a van platform or something like a Crosstrek. Was looking at a Quigley conversion but I also want to do it myself so I can fix everything and know what went into it.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This is my next project but more for ski trips than prepper nonsense.

I'm torn between a van platform or something like a Crosstrek. Was looking at a Quigley conversion but I also want to do it myself so I can fix everything and know what went into it.
The guy was living out of it the last time I saw him around.....2010 or so. I'm kind of talking out of my ass here because I hardly remember any of the details, but I think that our mutual friend said that the guy got tired of it and end up selling the thing and made a little profit. I kinda remember something along the lines of "He said it just made more sense to have a house & garden he could prep and live a normal life. Dude still has a custom range rover for mobility".

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
X-posting. Found on /pol 'ready for the apocalypse'. He has a lot of bases covered.
1580367915078.jpg

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I know one guy who is prepped for the apocalypse. He's got the decade worth of food plus water supplies plus a serious stack of firewood along with other bits. He lives in a nice subdivision in a nice home sporting a lot that might be a quarter of an acre. His neighbors are going to feast on his tender bits inside of a week when he's the only guy with heat and food.

But I appreciate the effort.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It’s really not very expensive though and surviving that initial chaos where everyone is fighting over food would make a large difference in your survival.
Yeah but if that's the scenario unless you're a well defended area raiders are going to likely eat you alive. Though I could see this being useful in a Katrina type scenario where breakdown is very limited.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah but if that's the scenario unless you're a well defended area raiders are going to likely eat you alive. Though I could see this being useful in a Katrina type scenario where breakdown is very limited.

Trying to go it alone is suicide. If someone is legitimately planning to be well supplied and wait out a major calamity while everyone around them starves than they're going to end up dead right quick. Not only do you have to sleep sometimes but gangs are going to form quickly and looting will occur. This here is someone talking about their time in Bosnia during the civil war -

Maybe this would seem strange, but the most protected houses were looted and destroyed first. In my area of the city, there were beautiful houses with walls, dogs, alarms and barred windows. People attacked them first. Some held out; others didn’t. It all depended how many hands and guns they had inside.

It's an interesting story he tells and applicable to real life planning for those people that are looking at being in urban or otherwise populated environments. Even living somewhere empty that could change rapidly as people migrant towards wherever they think is safer or better. I was thinking about this earlier - imagine that there's a major disruption of society and everything goes great for you. You pass four or five years in relative isolation in bumfuck nowhere with your jerky and CB radio and anime body pillow. There's going to be at least some amount of people who are able to pull that off. I'd bet my ass that everyone else is going to come up with a derogatory name for those jokers and absolutely hate their guts. Just fucking show up three months in to Captain Trips dropping 20% of the population, everyone's grandma and everyone's cat and get in line for the vaccine everyone's been waiting for. The scarecrows in line ahead of you are going to bash your head in with a rock on general principle.

So yeah, going it alone isn't even a plan. Plans in general aren't super useful either but planning is. Having thought about some of these issues and taken some steps to mitigate a likely short-term disruption gives you some cards to play if things get a little spooky. Every prep that I do I factor in every house on the street to at least some degree. These are the people that I'm going to have to throw in with. Buy a can of beans for me, buy a can of beans for them.

Worst case scenario (not including The Road style naked rape slave basement lock-up in to cannibalism) I can sign up with The Warlord of Rockford County after my humble tithing of canned tuna. I've seen Mad Max and Escape from New York. Warlords have a use for dorks. I could be the guy that announces the Ayatollah of Rock 'N Rolla.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I posted a picture once of my katana and my spear along with many other blades years back here. Never require ammo, just blade checks after hitting bone.
As for Mountain House stuff, amazom+more puts them on steep discount often. Add it to a deal alert at your favorite deal sites to get it half off. Still pricey then but only half as much!