The Prepper Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not a prepper, but my normal situation is probably what preppers dream of. I'm 50 miles from the nearest small town, 10 miles from the highway, 500 miles from the nearest major metro area. All the houses are heated with wood, we have generators, multiple 500 gallon tanks of propane, gasoline, and diesel plus our own water wells, some of which are solar powered. Hundreds of delicious cows walking around, chickens, a grain bin full of wheat, not to mention wildlife, etc. Most of the people within a 20 mile radius are in a similar situation and are people whose families we have known for generations. That's not to say we're invulnerable, but I like to think we'd be pretty far down the list of people to get marauded.

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I walked 15 miles in a blizzard well one for north GA 3ft of snow lol to get to my 2 year old who was still at daycare. A proper bugbag can save your hide for sure. The only item I was missing was some long thermal legs that would made that hike not feel so bad. My legs were purple and blue by the time I got to the daycare. I now have full summer/winter bags and both mine and my wife's vehicle have energy bars/water/army winter blanket/solar radio with light.

I have a really close friend that has a family farm setup similar to you Brutul and has invited me there if we can make it. He only asked that I bring my mini arsenal they got the rest covered lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just chiming in on the whole long term reality thing. Unless you live out in the sticks (and no one knows about your stockpile), any major prepping is just hording shit for other people to come take from you. Being prepared for a 1-2 month societal disruption is a good idea. You can ride that sort of period out with some dry goods, water, bullets, and common sense preparations. Anything lasting longer than that (or even a week or two in some areas) and people will get to you and take what you have. A locked vault in your basement (assuming no one plugs the air holes) is so over the top and ridiculous its more economical (and safer) to have a shit shack somewhere in the woods and a bugout bag to get to it.

I mean look at what people did during Catrina in even the burbs around New Orleans. People turn into savages the moment food and water starts being scarce, particularly the kind of people who are too short sighted to have a bug out plan. Plus thanks to the color war being pimped, you can bet the murdering will fall along racial lines and packs of wild wakandans will be at the forefront of the pillaging. That Catrina shit happened in under a week. Imagine a month with no clear end in sight or promise of federal aid.

Having said all that, I do practice what I preach on this front. I have enough dry goods and water to hold out about six weeks, with the idea we cook up the perishables on the grill day one if shit goes bad. I have several firearms and a decent supply of ammo to at least make the rape gangs work for it. Our neighbors and us have a plan in place for covering each other and when its time to bug out. We have bug out bags (loaded cases really) ready to toss in our truck if we have to make a run for it. We live on the outskirts of a Texas city, so plenty of ways out (and a preplanned place to go) if it comes to it. But I also have to be realistic in that we are old fat fucks and not long for this world in societal collapse, so the two bullet plan (one for her one for me) is always on the table if things get that bad. I figure if its not a get out immediately situation, I am probably just going to make an effort for the first pack of savages work for what I have. But make no mistake a pack of feral assholes, especially if they nabbed some guns, is not something you can defend your home from realistically.

The riots have taught us all that we are already on our own and cannot count on proper authorities to defend ourselves. Anyone taking serious steps to be ready for a partial or full collapse of society needs to keep in mind we are already working without a net. So, bare minimum, learn how to hunt and have a bugout bag. And trust no one.

Don't count your money at the table homey. For how many years was there mass starvation in weimar? I think it was a little more than 6 weeks to be sure.

I want to add that everyone and there brother with an iq of 95 thinks the same thing, I'm gonna hunt and fish to survive a long term crisis. That's total error, what do you think will happen when 100 million people start foraging and killing any animal that moves?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I always roll my eyes at Joe Rogan when he talks about how he has taken himself out of the industrial agriculture system. It's all well and good for him since he can afford to fly to 2 or 3 different states for a weekend and hire a top end guide to take him out and put him in the right place to shoot an elk. If even 10% of the population tried to do that, there would be no wildlife left. I have read stories about the homesteader days in the 20's in this area when they said you could sometimes hunt for days without even seeing a deer. Hard to imagine when it's totally normal now to see dozens of them per day without even looking for them.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm not a prepper, but my normal situation is probably what preppers dream of. I'm 50 miles from the nearest small town, 10 miles from the highway, 500 miles from the nearest major metro area. All the houses are heated with wood, we have generators, multiple 500 gallon tanks of propane, gasoline, and diesel plus our own water wells, some of which are solar powered. Hundreds of delicious cows walking around, chickens, a grain bin full of wheat, not to mention wildlife, etc. Most of the people within a 20 mile radius are in a similar situation and are people whose families we have known for generations. That's not to say we're invulnerable, but I like to think we'd be pretty far down the list of people to get marauded.
That will buy you a cushion of time, but the woods and streams will be lifeless soon after shit hits the fan.

jhg.gif

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
But I also have to be realistic in that we are old fat fucks and not long for this world in societal collapse, so the two bullet plan (one for her one for me) is always on the table if things get that bad.
we've seen you talk about your weight issues, i believe you should portion out TWO just for yourself.

• 1Worf

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Pretty sure a FMJ 9mm to the temple will cover things and if not theres always the Jerle method.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Pretty sure a FMJ 9mm to the temple will cover things and if not theres always the Jerle method.
Trying to cut your own penis off after failing to kill yourself by eating a bullet? I mean that's a heckuva secondary goal, but it really would be simpler to have a few extra bullets just in case.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I want to add that everyone and there brother with an iq of 95 thinks the same thing, I'm gonna hunt and fish to survive a long term crisis. That's total error, what do you think will happen when 100 million people start foraging and killing any animal that moves?
I dunno, its worth remembering that the great majority of the US population is urban. I suspect most of them die during the urban battles before any of them even see a deer.

I'm not disagreeing at all with your overall point, just saying that I suspect the number of people actually out hunting in a SHTF scenario is way lower than your 100 million. Cause most of them will be busy doing city people stuff like fighting over canned food while hiding from rape gangs.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The good news is I have lots of experience killing deer at night and shooting ducks off a pond with a supressed .22 rifle during the bird flu scare. All legal for research. Fun fact, you can shoot a duck on the water with a supressed .22 rifle and he rolls over and the rest keep on sitting there and don't notice.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, its worth remembering that the great majority of the US population is urban. I suspect most of them die during the urban battles before any of them even see a deer.

I'm not disagreeing at all with your overall point, just saying that I suspect the number of people actually out hunting in a SHTF scenario is way lower than your 100 million. Cause most of them will be busy doing city people stuff like fighting over canned food while hiding from rape gangs.
Wallowing through the mud to try and shoot deer while not getting spotted by rape gang patrolls or joining the local rape gang. I know what I'm doing.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So the mormons stopped selling their canned foods to the public at least on their website. That the cannery in the coal mine?

• 1Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So the mormons stopped selling their canned foods to the public at least on their website. That the cannery in the coal mine?

Probably not. Mountain House is better and still widely available, and MRE prices have come back down.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Won't even be that much of an investment. Land in the north is close to 1k/acre in a lot of areas. We were literally spitballing having a gigantic dog park/shooting range (depending on the weekend) for literally a couple hundred bucks a month.

I'm just wondering if we have time to set everything up before everything goes to shit. The timeline of the world has been accelerated quite a bit lately.
I’d really like to get some land some place outside Florida with seasons. Ideally with water flowing through it and mountains nearby.

Only concern on cost would be getting electrical ran to it and high speed internet. Starlink looks sweet but I don’t trust it being my only option. Probably an unfounded concern since in reality you usually only have one choice of ISP in an area anyways.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Don't count your money at the table homey. For how many years was there mass starvation in weimar? I think it was a little more than 6 weeks to be sure.

See they’re all just thinking of hunting the wrong thing, or species…

• 1Like