The Prepper Thread

Leaton

Trakanon Raider
I know I'm kinda parachuting into here.

It is good that preppers reduce reliance onto others as that would help, but just the simple knowledge that you are a prepper in the communities around you means you havbe basically already failed.

When shit hits the fan, you know what the communities will do when they need food, yeah they will come knocking on your door as they know you are a prepper and you won't have any choice but to share food with them negating the whole point of being a prepper.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I know I'm kinda parachuting into here.

It is good that preppers reduce reliance onto others as that would help, but just the simple knowledge that you are a prepper in the communities around you means you havbe basically already failed.

When shit hits the fan, you know what the communities will do when they need food, yeah they will come knocking on your door as they know you are a prepper and you won't have any choice but to share food with them negating the whole point of being a prepper.

That's why you don't tell anyone?

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Leaton

Trakanon Raider
That's why you don't tell anyone?
Usually they are known in the local area :), but yeah, that is the idea, Would help if you own another property that no one knows, including the local community.

Kinda like the mega rich having a spot somewhere in rural New Zeland.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Usually they are known in the local area :), but yeah, that is the idea, Would help if you own another property that no one knows, including the local community.
As said if you are known as a "prepper" you already failed being a prepper.

Prepping is basically fight club.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

B_Mizzle

As said if you are known as a "prepper" you already failed being a prepper.

Prepping is basically fight club.

My family doesn't even know anything about my prepping. Keep most of everything in a single room except for the chest freezer. Met up with an old buddy last week, gave him the tour, yeah the room with all the preps isn't part of the tour.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
My family doesn't even know anything about my prepping. Keep most of everything in a single room except for the chest freezer. Met up with an old buddy last week, gave him the tour, yeah the room with all the preps isn't part of the tour.
My family knows nothing about my prepping, and I’ve mostly kept most of the survival skills I know and stuff like my guns hidden from my family. Until recently the only one who knew I owned any guns at all was my sister, who I’ve trained to shoot. Cat kinda came out of the bag when I was in New England and a family member asked us if anyone could take the ammo out of a revolver my grandpa had left for my uncle when he passed away. He’s a druggy who’s got felony’s on the record and there’s two young girls with his ex, so we all agreed he wasn’t getting that shit. Few seconds later I had the bullets out and the revolver in as many pieces as it’d go for the NE dem relatives to turn in to the police. As we left my dad was all “how did you know how to do that” had to admit I might have a gun or dozen.

Im Irish, there’s too damn many family members for me to rescue them all, so I’d rather not make it seem like my door is open to just anyone, or for any of them to know I’ve spent over a decade slowly building my stocks and resources.

Oldbased

> Than U
How's prepping in todays economy? You guys skimping or ?
Food doesn't go bad till 40s+.
Prepping these days is collecting solar panels when I have a few bucks and changing out 200 gallons of water every 6 months.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Im Irish, there’s too damn many family members for me to rescue them all

Living on a ranch I've imagined this problem. I'm not really much of a prepper, but I am in the middle of nowhere with a lot of resources so I know the whole family would show up if the shit hits the fan. On top of that quite a few friends have told me "If society collapses, I'm coming to your place". I guess I should start telling them if they're going to come they better have their own guns and ammo and be willing to accept me as dictator.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Living on a ranch I've imagined this problem. I'm not really much of a prepper, but I am in the middle of nowhere with a lot of resources so I know the whole family would show up if the shit hits the fan. On top of that quite a few friends have told me "If society collapses, I'm coming to your place". I guess I should start telling them if they're going to come they better have their own guns and ammo and be willing to accept me as dictator.
Will you insist on them showing their covid booster punch card?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Don't worry, you'll be dead by the time they get there so it won't be a concern.

• 1Worf
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There were some pretty good deals on Amazon Prime Big Deals Days. Most of the stuff was 25-50% off.

I got 14 cans of various Mountain House #10's, which fit perfectly in a Waterproof Duffle Bag. Also got a starter Go Bag, which had 75% of the essentials I wanted and I supplemented with additional medicines, US Army Survival Manual, Water Filtration, and Fire Starting options BIC & Candles. Those two bags are both light and compact for everything that is loaded into them.

I also got a Leatherman Arc, Trench Shovel, Hand Axe, that I won't necessarily store with the Go Bags because I will use them on a regular basis. And in addition to all those items, we have a tent, camo-tarp, sleeping bags, Cooking Pot, and hunting/protection items that we already had on hand.

Who knows what is going to happen, but for about $1000 at least we have some peace of mind that we are a bit more prepared for the worst. Luckily, I live in a lightly populated State where we could disappear into the deep mountains that have steams, and lakes with plentiful fishing in a moments notice.

• 1Like

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Some of you guys were talking about how long chicken can be frozen for and still taste okay. Any idea if it lasts longer if you cook it before freezing? Pre-Covid I told my wife to stock up on shit loads of food. She bought bags of cooked frozen chicken fingers, chicken breasts, and nuggets from Krogers and of course a few packs of raw chicken. We ate some of the precooked stuff well over a year later and neither of us noticed anything unusual about the taste. So I was curious if that's normal or did we just got lucky.

• 1Like

B_Mizzle

Some of you guys were talking about how long chicken can be frozen for and still taste okay. Any idea if it lasts longer if you cook it before freezing? Pre-Covid I told my wife to stock up on shit loads of food. She bought bags of cooked frozen chicken fingers, chicken breasts, and nuggets from Krogers and of course a few packs of raw chicken. We ate some of the precooked stuff well over a year later and neither of us noticed anything unusual about the taste. So I was curious if that's normal or did we just got lucky.

That's a good idea I hadn't thought of that. On that topic I thawed out some roughly 2-3 year old basic spicy sausages the bar m cheapies from wal mart and the taste was fine. Wouldn't recomend eating them daily due to salt and preservatives but in a pinch if you need a bunch of calories frozen they seem to keep well. I guess those are precooked as well.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
For most frozen foods you have around 2 years or so before you start noticing a change in flavor in my experience. That can be hugely mitigated by making sure whatever you pack is in an air tight seal. I wrap my frozen chicken very tightly after cutting it up.

That said… never really tried to push the limits. I don’t consider frozen food to be a good part of a long term prepper plan. Keeping a freezer running is certainly within the realm of possibility, but it’s smarter to plan for and be ready for an eventuality where you can’t and consider anything frozen luxury on borrowed time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ugh, it's getting to end of life for the tuna a bought for covid

now i need to buy mayo

• 1Like