The RPG Thread

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I got Disgaea 5 earlier today at like 8am lol. But I haven't been able to play it yet but will be on shortly to rev it up for a late night session. Doooood!

DoctorSpooge_sl said:
Thought I'd share a sort of funny aside. When I went to Gamestop around noon (first time in months, card's been expired for years) to get the game I asked the clerk how many she'd sold. She said I was the second person to buy a copy. I know this shit is niche, but wow - wasn't expecting that.
NISA does a shitload of perks when you pre-order it. The hard core fans all order direct from NISA. The people who are sad that NISA sells out buy it from Amazon. Lowlifes actually go to a gamestop to buy it.

(just kidding, but it's really like 3rd on the list)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I got Disgaea 5 earlier today at like 8am lol. But I haven't been able to play it yet but will be on shortly to rev it up for a late night session. Doooood!

NISA does a shitload of perks when you pre-order it. The hard core fans all order direct from NISA. The people who are sad that NISA sells out buy it from Amazon. Lowlifes actually go to a gamestop to buy it.

I buy all ps4 games digital so that I don't have to share discs with my kids.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord

I thought about preordering from NISA, but I've had some really shitty luck with preordering games from sites that aren't Amazon. They always arrive late.

And yeah, I fucking hate Gamestop. I stopped by Walmart to see if they had it, but they're apparently not even stocking it - you gotta buy it from their site.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I played it for a few hours this morning and its probably the best Disgaea I can think of. The story isn't overwhelmingly moe/weaboo shit, and the gameplay is the tighest its ever been.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah i'm gonna be getting it on my next payday on the 16th probably. IMO gameplay has gotten better with every release whether it's more versatile character choices due to better moves like I commented on before (I still remember I think it was Disgaea 2 where axes didn't get a single move that hit more than 1 tile and it made it stupid to level them so I just refused to use axe chars) or cool new stat boosting options/side worlds/etc. I miss the pirate maps in the item world tho and I sadly never got the chance to do the online pirate invasions part of, I believe, Disgaea 3 since I didn't have internet while I was playing that one.

Crazily

N00b
I started playing GW2...its a MMO but it feels like a single player RPG to me....the character stories are interesting as is the environment/jumping puzzles.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
If people are emulating older rpgs. I highly recommend playing the Digital Devil Saga games (2), and the 3 Xenosaga games. I think the Xenosaga games get a bad rap, it is one gigantic movie - but its quality through to the end. One of the most memorable set of games I've played. They were rare and hard to find where I lived and didn't get that much praise. Both games are story driven - with acceptable rpg mechanics to get you through.

Grandia 2 is amazing. I look forward to its eventual sale price.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wanted to like Digital Devil Saga so bad, but the fucking random encounters every 5-10 steps just killed it for me.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The only way most of these menu combat JRPGs are playable is with the turbo feature available in most EMUs. Even Dragon Warrior becomes exciting when you can blast through combat rounds in a blink.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The problem with DDS is that it's a Shin Megami Tensei game, and they are notorious for their difficulty. DDS isn't quite on the level of Nocturne but it's still pretty brutal and getting into too many fights will drain all your consumables. Turbo wouldn't really help much.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I believe it was Lunar I was playing in a EMU with no fast forward support and no. Just no. Didn't make it past the first dungeon.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Kreugen you aren't allowed in this thread ever again

Unless you're talking about Lunar 2 and not SSSC

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
For Disgaea 5, are you meant to replay missions to level up characters better? Like would you do earlier ones with just one or two characters so they get the exp? Kind of new to the leveling process of these games.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
For Disgaea 5, are you meant to replay missions to level up characters better? Like would you do earlier ones with just one or two characters so they get the exp? Kind of new to the leveling process of these games.
Yes. All paths forwards are acceptable

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I will give it a shot when it goes on sale.

Finally got around to playing bravery default....my wife got me a 3ds for Xmas and it's had been collecting dust. 5 hours in and this thing is the Final Fantasy we deserve. Almost makes me want to mod my 3ds to play on my 75inch tv, but $300 is a bit steep...this thing needs a wiiu or ps4 port ASAP!

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Yes and no. You'll be barraged with a bunch of shit that you don't understand like innocents on items - items with "Manager" or "Gladiator" or whatever on them - but immediate comprehension isn't ever required. The story mode is 30+ hours of sustained acclimation, after which the postgame presents a host of challenges that'll require more investment into the game's mechanics.

I've played 3, 4, D2 and 5, and for all except possibly D2 - and I guess 5 is yet to be determined - there's a couple ways to go about progressing, and they'll all work, whether you understand what you're doing or not. The first is to just wing it, and it works. I don't think there's really an easy way to fuck up your characters, but youcanbe grossly inefficient. The second is to follow some sort of maximization guide, which is also quite fun but there'll be classes you never try because you weren't told to experiment. This happened to me in 3 and 4, and probably would have happened in D2 except I couldn't find a decent guide and I enjoyed it way more as a consequence.

5 is so new that you'll resort to option 2, and it's fun as hell. It does have a more robust tutorial system than any prior game, also.

In short, you'll probably be lost, but you'll not be fucked. At all. The only drawback to starting with 5 is that if you fall in love with it, it's likely gonna be hard to go back to earlier games, possibly excepting D2. I'd start there anyway, though. I began Disgaea only a few months ago, and put like 80-100 hours into 3 and 4 and 30 into D2, but my playtime was abbreviated because I had my eyes on 5. So this'll be the first one that I've completely invested in.