The RPG Thread

Siliconemelons

Final Fantasy 12 is getting a HD version in 2017 apparently.

Only link I currently have it to kotaku and fuck that noise but yeah.
Its also the better* battle or zodiac system or whatever

RPGamer - News Bulletin - Final Fantasy XII Enters the Zodiac Age

May give it a shot... got stuck on "the wall" battle on my ps2 version because I hate HAVING to min/max the system in order to move forward and artificial lockouts where you cant go back and level etc... and I admit I was not "good" at ff12 lol...mostly because I didn't care, it at the time felt like playing a MMO by myself and I didn't care for it.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
I really enjoyed 12 and cant wait to give it another run. The one thing that stands out from my first playthrough that pissed me off the requirements for some of the ultimate weapons. I remember one of the better ultimates required you tonotopen certain treasure chests as you progressed through the game and one of those chests was at the very beginning when you ran through the castle as Vaan. I was popping chests and thieving everything from that place as any rpg gamer would and it bit me in the ass.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Zodiac Spear. All that stupid shit was removed for IZJS, and a lot of other treasure was moved around too. The only thing left is the timing trick used to get the Seitengrate bow 100% of the time, but using the thing is basically cheating anyway. Hopefully they just remove the item from the game entirely in Zodiac Age.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, IZJS also removed the ability for every class to use the Zodiac Spear as well, so it lost a lot of its relative power.

The Wall was annoying... right up until you learn that having lvl1 Mist on each active character gives you a good chance to chain 6+ attacks at a time, and it can basically destroy it by itself without even overleveling.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, IZJS also removed the ability for every class to use the Zodiac Spear as well, so it lost a lot of its relative power.

The Wall was annoying... right up until you learn that having lvl1 Mist on each active character gives you a good chance to chain 6+ attacks at a time, and it can basically destroy it by itself without even overleveling.
FF12 was the only FF game since FF3 (6) that i fully enjoyed from that direct line of games sadly. My only compliant was the open gambit skill system to the point anyone can be anything. I just hate that idea, I like specialization. I want choices but i want games particularly with defined characters to have some uniquess to them. So at least have some generic classes with specific grid skills or whatever that was called that you choose to level up etc to go with generic ones.

Other then that i thought the game had everything a person could really want. Plenty of tought battles in the game until you figured out some mass cheese.

I've seen compliants about the story but i thought it was probably the best story in the entire history (FFT withstanding). I just hate all the stupid futuristic shit in games so i enjoyed the old school world feeling.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
IZJS and the upcoming HD remaster are both using the Job system. No more omni-classes; before you get access to a grid you pick a specific class that is unchangeable for the remainder of the game, for each character. Your wish has been granted!

Story wasn't anything special, it just sort of falls apart from a motivation angle when the Occuria are introduced and Vayne doesn't really do anything worthy of the "big bad."

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I didn't get far in FF12 on EMU until Zodiac was released (and fan translated?) and then I had a good time with it. I didn't do any of the grindy optional stuff though.

So this is my third attempt at playing DA3 and it finally took hold. A year of patches and a few mods help. I charge, I whirlwind, I let my default party AI do whatever the fuck. Christ though, this game is loaded with landmines in the conversations - my guy may already have uncurable gay thanks to one compliment to Cullen. As soon as he put on that sloppy homo grin I knew I'd fucked up. FFS, the game has a homo minotaur named IRON BULL.

I'll have to cleanse myself of this with Witcher 3 Blood & Wine next.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
They must have cut whatever NPC they intended him to voice to use him as a Qunari. Funny dialog, but so miscast.

Also, the command line to unlock the peasant framerate in cinematics was totally fucking up in game physics. My whirlwind was throwing mobs everywhere. NPCs in combat were trying to be in two places at once, etc.

Sera = lesbian version of a pixie grrl?

Who are the must-haves for funny dialog this time around? Well, out of Sera + a tank + a mage.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Iirc the black sassy woman was pretty nice if you like hearing sarcastic comments non stop. Most of the characters were meh though. I went for efficiency team rather than fun team cause there wasn't really a fun team. Good tank is Cassandra or bearded dwarf, bull has a shit spec, casters the best one is bald gay elf but he's also the worst fucking character so that kinda sucks, black sassy woman had a strong spec but the AI sucks at playing it but still used her just with no points in her spec as a standard mage and flaming gay cool guy had an ok spec, and rogues I don't remember cause I played rogue so I didn't have a 2nd one iirc, but I think main story dwarf guy was the better one, Sera was alright and ghost/spirit whatever fucker was terrible cause again the AI can't use the skills properly.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I'll probably respec them and bump the difficulty up once they get their advanced classes. Normal is too much of a faceroll even without doing any micro unless terribly underleveled. But yeah I found a writeup that mirrors what you said -Cassandra/Varic/Solas are better AI builds than the rest, but less interesting characters. At least Cassandra as the best AI tank is fine because the other tank is as dull as she is.

I miss the AI tweaking you could do in the other Dragon Age games. And FF12 for that matter. Zodiac edition, turbo enabled, full AI control ftw.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Well DA3 escalates quickly... eventually.

Yes everyone was right and you just have to reach Skyhold for the game to get good. At least much better than "blah blah mage vs templar shit from DA2 ending blah blah chosen one" So if you did like me and couldn't get into it - there's a path that gets you to the good parts quicker. Just pick up your companions then go pick mages or templars.

Still feel like I have to eyebleach with tits after each play session.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I thought DA3 was just tolerable, nothing to write home about. At times it felt great and at other times it felt like I was really just slogging through shit.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I'd say that's pretty accurate, it was an ok game. Some people hated it and I can see why, in many ways it felt like leveling on a mmo, solo. You grab a bunch of quests and run around to the markers, kill random shit, loot some random shit, and then go back to town to turn in and get some sweet xp. Once in a while there was dialogues, with choices, which a lot of the time were just do you want gold+xp or do you want no gold but more xp type of rewards and this kind of stuff.

It had a lot of stuff to do, but a lot of busywork mmo questing content, so people who hate that in mmos probably hated the game, but I like it for the most part, so I kinda enjoyed it, although some was really fucking annoying(like that desert zone at the end was retarded).

The difficulty was also mostly shit and uneven, with Nightmare being "lulz you might get one shot every now and then but other than that game is a snooze if you build a balanced party", and some classes literally broke the game in half in such a way that you could solo pretty much everything(the 1dmg tank thing, the flask based rogue, the assassin rogue, the melee mage thing and probably a few more). I don't remember the details but I think I one shot an endgame dragon with my rogue by stacking a bunch of shit to hit at once.

Story was so so, characters were meh, it wasn't great but it was an ok filler game.

Lusiphur

Peasant
What's the view on FFX? Toying with digging out an old PS3 and maybe buying the HD remaster. Ofc would be better if it was available on PS4.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
And PC too. Though there's not really any difference between PS4 and PC since you can't unlock the 30 fps cap (there's a mod that tries, but it fucks up other things and isn't worth it) and everything else is the same aside from possibly having a >1080p monitor.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
What's the view on FFX? Toying with digging out an old PS3 and maybe buying the HD remaster. Ofc would be better if it was available on PS4.
I just finished it on ps4 and really enjoyed it, for $20 for 40+ hours it's a no brainer and comes with x-2

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Can also play ffx remaster on Vita of you have that and want to play mobile.

It's a more or less a terrible story with dumb main characters, but excellent combat and leveling. And some incredibly stupid optional shit (lightning strike bullshit) that is not fun and super tedious