The "Shit I just bought" thread

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I have the Asus PG279Q. Technically it's 165hz but 144hz is more than plenty and I don't have SLI to actually push frames to 165 in most games anyway.

I've seen the videos, and heard the testimony...Does going from 60 FPS to 144 REALLY make a difference? Like I see people saying "I could never go back!".

Also could a single 1080ti power the 34" version if so.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've seen the videos, and heard the testimony...Does going from 60 FPS to 144 REALLY make a difference? Like I see people saying "I could never go back!".

Yes it's very good if you have the graphics card to actually hit it. The best way I can describe it is imagine a flip book with 144 pages. Then take randomly roughly every other page out and view it again. You're still only "seeing" the blur composite but chances are you're going to see a few odd artifacts because at extreme speeds (possibly just from perspective and field of view) objects will appear to "chunk" large distances.

1080ti will do fine with 1440p, I think that's really the limit if you want to cap frame rate to take advantage of higher frames though. 4K will struggle a bit still but it's still going to be better as long as you can push enough frames to raise it significantly above 60 to take advantage of the refresh rate.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider

It makes a big difference in FPS games, but not as huge as from 30 to 60 FPS. In RPG and action games, not so much. I cap FPS in games like Witcher 3 at maybe 80-100 FPS to guarantee 60+ minimum FPS and not fry my video card. What I really care about for RPG/Action games is GSYNC which arguably makes a bigger difference than 144hz.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
It makes a big difference in FPS games, but not as huge as from 30 to 60 FPS. In RPG and action games, not so much. I cap FPS in games like Witcher 3 at maybe 80-100 FPS to guarantee 60+ minimum FPS and not fry my video card. What I really care about for RPG/Action games is GSYNC which arguably makes a bigger difference than 144hz.

Ya, looks like I would care more about G Sync. But Fuuuuck they cost a lot. I JUST snagged a new display.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...id=1506547959&sr=8-11&keywords=g+sync+monitor

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ya, looks like I would care more about G Sync. But Fuuuuck they cost a lot. I JUST snagged a new display.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...id=1506547959&sr=8-11&keywords=g+sync+monitor

I think the thing is you need all the components in one.

My criteria is (was)

IPS
1440p (4K eventually)
144hz
Gsync
Fast(ish) response time

I went with the Dell when it was on super sale, works great. But I looked at others which are like TN panels or VA ultrawides but bad refresh rate and no Gsync, etc. I think if you skimp anywhere, you will notice the piece that is missing and not enjoy it as much.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
And then you use IPS and your eyes are ruined. TN colours look soft and washed out.

If you're spending big bucks for a monitor you might as well get the best. A 1440P 165hz monitor is gonna last you 3-5 years depending on GPU tech advancement. GTX 1080 TI is the first one that can do 1440P 120+hz affordably. I can't wait for next gen cards when 1440P at 165hz is easily achievable. And then maybe 4k 144hz the gen after.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's just funny because I remember ages back when people were arguing something stupid about the eyes can't tell any difference above 50 fps or something abysmally low. Now here we are advocating 144+ fps and it is almost universally agreed that it makes a noticeable difference.

Like Palum Palum , I am waiting for the unicorn monitor with IPS, 4K, 144hz, Gsync, etc etc. I will happily blow 4 figures for it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My main problem is that I don't want to sit at my PC and game any more, unless the game requires mouse/kb. I have a freesync monitor on my bedroom PC that has an AMD card, but my main gaming PC has a Nvidia and it's on my 4k TV in the living room. I wish they would all just use freesync, so they could start putting that shit as standard on televisions too!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I, too, would prefer the non proprietary bullshit, but alas.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Again...I would like to know your opinion. Am I losing it, or for 24 bucks, this is one helluva mouse.

Also remember to remember to remove the plastic off the feet of the mouse.
Further update on this mouse. I know it is a symptom of how I hold a mouse, which is apparently slightly skewed, but I constantly keep hitting the "increase mouse acceleration" button near the mouse wheel when I am left-clicking. If I could train myself to hold the mouse perfectly straight (with my finger in the groove like it is supposed to be) it wouldn't be an issue, but so far it is beyond my capacity to re-learn. So I either need to fix the way I hold it, or just get used to maximum acceleration. Since the mouse I use at work has no adjustment, that might be a bit annoying to have two vastly different speeds.

Other than that, loving the mouse. Still totally haven't set up anything on the additional buttons though.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Some doubles are much better than others, as far as separation of temp. Regardless of that, they will heat to temp quicker, which is always good. I have a Whirlpool single convection. It's decent.

• 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Whirlpool 6.7 cu. ft. Double Oven Electric Range with True Convection in Stainless Steel-WGE745C0FS - The Home Depot

Probably should have asked if the double oven deal is a gimmick before buying but wife wanted so whatever. Needed our current stainless GE to put in rental.

Nope for a serious cook/baker (ie not pizza rolls, sorry McCheese) they are legit. They're just not worth it if you only ever make one thing at a time or the most delicate thing you cook is two frozen pizzas, one that needs 375 and the other 400. I'm tempted to say the counter height ones are a compromise I might not take though, just due to capacity in each oven being pretty low I'd imagine. I'm used to the full size double wall units.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
for sure on the wall units but fitting all that all in stove unit is the question.

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
for sure on the wall units but fitting all that all in stove unit is the question.

Yea when they first started coming out I heard bad reviews from even the company reps. I'm sure they're better now, digital controls have come a long way in 15 years and refining the concept.

Ryanz

<Banned>
My other mouse was constantly double clicking. I tried to fix it following these instructions but as I was finishing up the repair one of the tiny pieces got stuck to my hand and fell onto the floor and vanished into the nether. Oh well, new mouse now :)

g502-rgb-tunable-gaming-mouse.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Vacuum hose covered with a filter of some sort - like panty hose. Will suck up lost parts pretty quickly without losing them into the vacuum. But if you get something new, lose more stuff :)