The Wolverine

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
at some fucking point they NEED to have his goddamn shit ripped out by Magneto. Its a crime this hasn't happened. That's one of the coolest things to ever happen in comics, wtf?
fight0055-d.jpg

I have this issue. Bought it brand new, complete with the hologram cover and everything. I should dig it up some day. It's in a box in my basement along with the X-Cutioner Saga (loved that), Maximum Carnage and a few other series that I've collected over the years. A lot of shit happened in my Comic Book collecting era. I have Witchblade 1-50, Spawn 1-100, Savage Dragon 1-150. I used to love Image. But I have tons of Marvel also. Never could get into DC, though, with a few exceptions. I have the entire Batman: Hush series. Mainly because Jim Lee is a fucking boss of artwork.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Still confused on one thing:

How exactly did he cut through adamantium? Shit be indestructible yo.

Devlin

Golden Squire
it was an adamantium bullet melted down into a blade
That did actually piss me off as well, there are various reasons that just wouldn't work according to what I know of adamantium from comics

From the Marvel Wiki

"Adamantium is created by mixing certain chemical resins together. The exact composition of these resins is a closely guarded secret of the United States government. When these resins are mixed and kept at a temperature of 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit, the resulting liquid can be cast or worked into a particular shape. After eight minutes, the mixture sets and becomes solid"

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
well, remember that comic book writers are not metallurgists. 1500 degrees fahrenheit is like, twice the tempurature of the sun. right? that sounds right. i think. i'd check wikipedia on that but...well, i just want to finish inking this page and go home.

fucker_sl

shitlord
well, remember that comic book writers are not metallurgists. 1500 degrees fahrenheit is like, twice the tempurature of the sun. right? that sounds right. i think. i'd check wikipedia on that but...well, i just want to finish inking this page and go home.
like....huh....no ? the coolest part of the sun (its surface) its 5500+ C?. in Farenheit it should be 10040 F?

inside the sun is like....thousands of time hotter

not too sound like an asshole...but how you came up with that temperature? even without any knowledge, common sense should tell you how far off that temperature is. Amateur forges can almost reach that temperature. Give the sun more credits

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
1500 degrees fahrenheit is like the surface temperature change of mercury from day to night. Think hotter.

Szlia

That's what j00t was saying: Don't worry too much about what was said in a comic once, because fans tend to put much more thoughts into this stuff than the people writing it.

EDIT: And the movie was not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but it was better than I feared and there even was several nice shots (notably when Mangold plays with depth and scale when the archer is shooting people post-funeral). Most bizarre use of foreign language in a movie though (japanese characters sometime keeping to japanese and sometime breaking into english with each other...) and funniest Tokyo geography ever (or they run reaaaaally fast).

j00t

like....huh....no ? the coolest part of the sun (its surface) its 5500+ C?. in Farenheit it should be 10040 F?

inside the sun is like....hundreds of time hotter

not too sound like an asshole...but how you came up with that temperature? even without any knowledge, common sense should tell you how far off that temperature is. Amateur forges can almost reach that temperature. Give the sun more creadits
whooooosh

Caliane

Just saw this with the wife. Personally, this was a FAR better movie than the first one (Origins). I'm starting to think that Jackman is to Wolverine what RDJ is to Iron Man. Plot was good and actually stayed just close enough to comic canon to keep me from having too much brain itch. Liked the treatment of both asian female leads. I can see the Yukio character trying to be shoehorned into what Jubilee was for a while for him in the comics. Only thing I didn't like was the Viper character, something about that actress just didn't work it for me.

Now, seeing the post credit scene and having read about how they are going to do Days of Future Past, it's straight up. They're "rebooting" x-men Star Trek style. GO google it... We're going to have "Wolverine Prime"
hugh is way too tall to be Wolverine like RDJ is Tony Stark. But otherwise does great, so no one complains.

Just caught this. I liked it for the most part. Kindof like a First class. The movie for the most part is its own movie. It doesn't try to be a tie in movie like Origins was. Even with the x3 cameos...
Which... First I will say, I was not expecting this movie to be a direct sequel to x3... and despite what I just said about it not trying to be a tie in... it had those scenes with Jean and really would have been better without them.

I think there was a big misstep with the keeping motivations and identity secret. Throughout the movie we have all these fights and have no idea what the stakes are, or why anyone is fighting.
We can't have any real emotional ties to most of the fighting, because of it. The final fight with the samurai for example really stood out. Why is this Samurai attacking him? why is it trying to take his claws? does it want the claws? why did she trick him into that chair, and trick him into releasing his claws?
now we get answers later... but only after the fact.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
hugh is way too tall to be Wolverine like RDJ is Tony Stark. But otherwise does great, so no one complains.

Just caught this. I liked it for the most part. Kindof like a First class. The movie for the most part is its own movie. It doesn't try to be a tie in movie like Origins was. Even with the x3 cameos...
Which... First I will say, I was not expecting this movie to be a direct sequel to x3... and despite what I just said about it not trying to be a tie in... it had those scenes with Jean and really would have been better without them.

I think there was a big misstep with the keeping motivations and identity secret. Throughout the movie we have all these fights and have no idea what the stakes are, or why anyone is fighting.
We can't have any real emotional ties to most of the fighting, because of it. The final fight with the samurai for example really stood out. Why is this Samurai attacking him? why is it trying to take his claws? does it want the claws? why did she trick him into that chair, and trick him into releasing his claws?
now we get answers later... but only after the fact.
Disregarding the fact that you can't actually cut his claws off (wtf continuity) if he was after his DNA/genes he bled plenty from those bullet wounds. Not sure why he needed to dig into his bone marrow.
As for your questions - well part of telling the story is asking "Why?" and having the movie answer it. If you can guess what is going on it is less appealing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Once adamantium cools it's impossible to heat up again(lol) right? Which makes its initial melting point kind of irrelevant from a power perspective.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
its disturbing.
he is 125years old, and fucking 16yr olds.
Of course, Xavier also wanted to fuck Jean...

Xmen. yeah. one giant s&m club.
Wolverine is like a hetrosexual version of Batman always ends up hanging around with 15-16 year old female sidekicks when he is solo.

Caliane

Disregarding the fact that you can't actually cut his claws off (wtf continuity) if he was after his DNA/genes he bled plenty from those bullet wounds. Not sure why he needed to dig into his bone marrow.
As for your questions - well part of telling the story is asking "Why?" and having the movie answer it. If you can guess what is going on it is less appealing.
I'm saying action has to be result of some conflict. the problem is, they do not explain the conflict before the action. You spend the majority of this moving, going "wtf is going on?" But it is not directed or edited or written like a mystery movie. WTF going on? works great for primer, or momento. Not here, this is an action movie. We can't be invested in the fights when we don't know the stakes, or even who is on whose side.

It DID throw me off a bit as well. this is Logans first time to Japan, outside of WW2 as a US soldier. I mentioned this movie is a sequel to x2, but I can't remember if it was ever directly referenced in xmen1-3 that Logan did train with Samurai in the 70's. so that has been rewritten here. He never got swordsman training. (would explain his poor fighting..) (also, Logan fought in Europe during ww2, not Japan) I kept expecting him to break out with the" you do know I know Japanese right?" ever time people spoke Japanese around him..
Overall, I don't mind these changes to the backstory. I just found them odd.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Saw it yesterday with the wife and friends and we all thought it was good. Better than Origins and X3.

I have to say though, there is a lot of jimmies getting rustled in this thread. You all need to realize they aren't making these movies to please all the comic fans. They know you are all going to go out and see them. They are trying to make the movies good enough so that average know nothing about Wolverine's history people will be interested enough to go and drop $12 on the movie. Which means Jackman will stay Wolverine and the comic stories won't play out the same.

As an action movie with Wolverine, it was pretty well done. Don't know why they added
Viper. I don't really feel she added anything to the story at all.

j00t

The problem with that argument is that they aren't just retelling stories. They are rewriting fundamental character traits. Why is that a problem? Because they aren't respecting the source material and if they are rewriting source material so much that characters resemble each other in name only, THEN WHY NOT CREATE YOUR OWN CHARACTER?

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
The problem with that argument is that they aren't just retelling stories. They are rewriting fundamental character traits. Why is that a problem? Because they aren't respecting the source material and if they are rewriting source material so much that characters resemble each other in name only, THEN WHY NOT CREATE YOUR OWN CHARACTER?
I don't disagree. I was really frustrated about the Jason Bourne series because in the books he's a CIA agent who's mission it is to stop world assasinations and try and catch the Jackel. In the movies the only thing similar to him from the books is literally his name and he has amnesia. However, that doesn't change that the movies were decent action flicks, made to pander to the general populous, and make bank for the studios. Which they did. And just like they are doing with the Superhero movies. That's why they don't create their own. There is already a good set of source material they can use or manipulate as they want when they get the rights to it. Remember this Marvel Studios here. It's their choice, and this is how they want to use it.