Thief (2014)

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
This review was getting me excited, then when I found out you can't freely jump I cringed.
I think I should have made those asterisks a bit bigger, this is "on sale at more than 75% off" territory and maybe someone will figure out how to hack some of the design decisions out of the game.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think I should have made those asterisks a bit bigger, this is "on sale at more than 75% off" territory and maybe someone will figure out how to hack some of the design decisions out of the game.
Hasn't played it - states affirmatively it's value.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Hasn't played it - states affirmatively it's value.
Right now I have no need for new titles since all my gaming needs are served by Dota 2, SC2 and occasional bit of Skyrim and Deus Ex. Maybe when summer rolls around I'll buy D3 expansion, that should keep me occupied for a while and after that I can wait for steam christmas sales. The game would have to be second coming of jesus to convince me to buy it right now.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Why do people have such a skewed perception of value when it comes to gaming? Game is ~15 hours playing on medium difficulty, could easily be twice that or more if you play master difficulties. To say that this game is only worth $15 is dishonest at best and fucking retarded at worst, especially when you haven't played it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've read enough that I might pick this up on a cheap Steam sales, but definitely not for 50 or 60 bucks.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I was going to wait for a steam sale for this until I saw the Revgames 45 minute thing where the devs showed off you can put Ironman mode on combined with an "if you're spotted by human or bird" fail-state and an "if you hurt a human or animal" fail-state and that took it to a PS4 insta-buy for me. Just knowing I can set up the game to the point that if I hurt anything or get spotted at all my entire game-save is deleted and I have to restart just pushes this into the realm of great difficulty, if you beat it on hard with those options enabled then you know you actually have mastered the game but don't expect to do it on your first try.

All of this is predicated on the AI not being cheap at all (especially the birds) but given I have a 10-day return window for everything I buy at EB Games (outside PC games) I'm quite willing to take that risk and see if it deserves to be kept. I figure with PS4 running at 60fps and no real modding options I've seen there is no downside to going console over PC for this one.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was going to wait for a steam sale for this...
I don't know if any of the AMD promotions are still going on, but previously it was like $5 on eBay with one of those promo codes + two other games. Something may come back up in the Steam and Other Deals thread. For $5 even if it is Aliens: Colonial Marines bad it should be worth it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I was going to wait for a steam sale for this until I saw the Revgames 45 minute thing where the devs showed off you can put Ironman mode on combined with an "if you're spotted by human or bird" fail-state and an "if you hurt a human or animal" fail-state and that took it to a PS4 insta-buy for me.
Birds are just little noise alarms. I've only come across them already-caged, in which case you just crouch past them.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Birds are just little noise alarms. I've only come across them already-caged, in which case you just crouch past them.
Yeah have noticed that on some let's plays but on the Rev3 dev video when he turned those options on a bird up in the area he was sneaking about in saw him and insta-failed him and deleted the save, was kind of lulzy

Column_sl

shitlord
Pretty fun so far, definitely a console version of Thief.

Have everything maxed on the PC , and according to the Benchmark my average FPS is 80

Not too impressed by the Textures, look last gen.

Vaclav

Pretty fun so far, definitely a console version of Thief.

Have everything maxed on the PC , and according to the Benchmark my average FPS is 80

Not too impressed by the Textures, look last gen.
Textures have been commented on in a number of reviews as only slightly better from last gen to next gen. Apparently not where they put their focus on for it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Going to start with:

- No Focus
- Stealth Only
- No Reticle
- Specialty Arrows Only
- No Food
- No Damage
- No Upgrades
- No Kills or Knockouts (wish this were just no kills)
- No Alerts

See how long it takes me to rage and restart on Easy.

Vaclav

Trophy list looks like it's going to be some work - fun, but man it's going to separate the boys from the men if it's as challenging as it should be on Master and with the option sets.

Vorph

I definitely agree with what people are saying about the textures. I was hoping it was just typical UE3-is-a-shitty-fucking-engine pop-in but it's not. Character textures are excellent, but the environment varies from bad to average. Certainly not what I expected from a 23.4GB install. They did a great job with the PC version from a configuration standpoint though. Graphics options are there for all the important things, including a FOV slider. 16:10 isn't letterboxed either, which is becoming more and more rare these days.

I didn't bother benchmarking it yet, because I was waiting for a new Catalyst driver to come out with Mantle support. One that works, preferably, since the 14.1 beta drivers were unusable unless you like BSODs while watching YouTube. 14.2 beta was released this morning, so I guess I'll be a guinea pig again.

Going to start with:

- No Focus
- Stealth Only
- No Reticle
- Specialty Arrows Only
- No Food
- No Damage
- No Upgrades
- No Kills or Knockouts (wish this were just no kills)
- No Alerts

See how long it takes me to rage and restart on Easy.
I started with like 900 pts (focus on because I didn't even know what it was or why people are so angry about its existence, upgrades on, ironman off). Went back and restarted because I just can't take ultra-slow movement speed and only having chapter saves just isn't going to work the first time through. Turned focus off too. I don't think it's anywhere near as big a deal as the nostalgia police are making it out to be, but I wanted to get some of the points back. :p

P.S. If you're playing heavily-restricted stealth only, it has the nice side effect of making gamepad>>>>>keyboard/mouse.

I wish i read this before.
Who does that shit these days? That has to be one of my biggest pet peeves in games
I was concerned about this too, but honestly it's not a big deal. You can jump onto/over anything you need to, but you can't bunny hop around the map for no reason. I think they were going for an Assassin's Creed type "flow" to Garrett's movement in [the rare] situations where you're able to run around at full speed. In the end, I don't feel that my movement is any more restricted in Thief than it was in, say, Dishonored.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think my set up was like 750? pts.

I also had to stop because of performance issues with my 670 SLI and the old nvidia driver. After upgrading it seemed to be locked at 60 fps, excpet when the damn lightning strikes. Had to do work stuff today so only really got passed the prologue.