Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
By the way, I saw this again today. People were talking about Thor and Hela getting their power from Asgard. Oden says that Hela gets more powerful by being there, but it's Valkyrie that says Thor gets his power there also. So maybe there's a mixup?

Also, Oden clearly says "Asgard is not a place, it never was. Asgard is the people."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I'm worried they're looking at the success of GOTG and trying to copy that style into all future movies.

I wouldn't be too worried about that. I'm sure they will all continue to have comedic flares sprinkled throughout like they always have and a few will swing more heavily into comedy like GotG did. But Marvel is creating differences in their movies by mixing in other genre types and some will lend themselves to that more than others. I expect they'll do it where it fits. It fit Ragnarok as much because of Hemsworth as anything else. Hollywood has slowly been coming to the realization that he has pretty good comedic timing.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
By the way, I saw this again today. People were talking about Thor and Hela getting their power from Asgard. Oden says that Hela gets more powerful by being there, but it's Valkyrie that says Thor gets his power there also. So maybe there's a mixup?

Also, Oden clearly says "Asgard is not a place, it never was. Asgard is the people."

I think Odin was pointing out to Thor that while Hela does in fact get her power from the city, he gets it from the people. So they both do get it from Asgard in different ways.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

I was wondering the same thing. I think it was said even loki gets his power from asgard. So at the end of the movie I was wondering if thor/loki/heimdahl still had powers. It was only like 1 scene, but I didn't see them use any powers after the city was destroyed.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Why does Loki have any powers? Isn't he an orphaned ice blue baby thing? Why all of a sudden does he turn into a pale queer looking male with all these magical abilities?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Why does Loki have any powers? Isn't he an orphaned ice blue baby thing? Why all of a sudden does he turn into a pale queer looking male with all these magical abilities?
Proximity to Asgard? And didn't Odin imbue him so he looked the same color?

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
loki doesn't have any asgardian powers, he's a wizard, harry.

also... my thought on all this, "where do the powers come from" could just be something as simple as hela and thor getting their powers from asgard identically. hela is trying to rule and subjugate the asgardian people. if asgard itself is destroyed, it's not the end of her power. but since asgard is a people, they are now traveling with thor, which gives HIM the upper hand. maybe. i don't know.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The first Thor movie gave a wishy washy explanation that science advanced enough would appear as magic. Kind of what is going on with Black Panther's universe...

• 1Barf
  • 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Need some advice. Wife and I generally don't like 3D, but I think we need to go see a 3D movie every few years to see how the technology has advanced. The last one I saw was Avatar (giant smurfs in space, not the last airbender) so I guess it's time to check out another one. We both want to see thor again, so we figure this might be a good opportunity. A few people in this thread have said the 3D version sucks, but for all I know they might be generally anti-3D anyway. So what do the rest of you say? Is this a good movie to check out the current state of 3D or not?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
FWIW I generally dislike 3D but saw this in 3D and it didnt bother me at all. Not sure I think it added anything but maybe I'm just not into 3D. Not a problem in any case, IMO.

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
My advice: don't see it in 3D, so the decline will continue. It's a trash technology that adds next to nothing and detracts quite a bit, not to mention jacks prices up substantially. The tech won't be truly there until we have hologram/holographic tech, so look forward to Avengers 12 in finally-good-tech-3D in 2031.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
FWIW I generally dislike 3D but saw this in 3D and it didnt bother me at all. Not sure I think it added anything but maybe I'm just not into 3D. Not a problem in any case, IMO.
Pretty much this. I saw it in 3D, then immediately saw it in 2D. The 3D definitely didn't detract from it, though you'll catch a lot more background details watching it in 2D (or maybe I just did, because I was watching it a 2nd time). When watching in 2D after 3D, certain scenes looked weird, like the perspective was off. Such as when they're walking down the rainbow bridge, it looks like they're "floating" in 2D. But otherwise 3D added some depth to several scenes. It's very much take it or leave it for this one.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

My feeling on this whole "getting their powers from Asgard" thing is that it might all be the same thing. In other words, Hela still is getting power from the people too, exactly the same as Thor does...she's just dealing with the fact that she got fucking shishkabobbed and then exploded by the biggest fucking (flaming) sword ever. So she'll probably eventually be ok, but it takes time to recover from something like that.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
...she's just dealing with the fact that she got fucking shishkabobbed and then exploded by the biggest fucking (flaming) sword ever. So she'll probably eventually be ok, but it takes time to recover from something like that.
The way you described it is right. It was a pretty hot scene.

spronk

FPS noob
The 3D vs 2D thing is EXTREMELY dependent on your local theater so its not just something you can toss off as a single opinion. 3D movies require the theater to change the light settings for the projector and room since the movies will be darker by default. We have one local AMC theater that does a great job in maintaining everything and they only show 3D movies in a few specific screens as they are calibrated right. There is another Regal theater across town that has SHITTY 3D screens, where stuff is a bit blurry, the colors are way off, light leakage from overhead fuck things up, the seats aren't positioned right for 3D viewing, etc.

So yeah, it really just depends on your area. I saw Thor in 3D first time (fan screening) and Dolby digital ATMOS second time and while I prefer the second viewing slightly it was more for the Dolby sound/seats than the screen, both looked just fine to me. I never thought of any "whoah! 3D!" moments in the movie like Avatar or some cartoon movies, and I'd say skip 3D unless you know your theater cares and does a good job with it.

For me I like going to 3D sometimes because all the 2017 TVs I have bought now no longer offer 3D, so pretty much have to go to a theater to see 3D now.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If you like 3D in movies you're the film house equivalent of a supertaster faggot.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 6 users