Tomb Raider (X360/PS3/PC)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yes, Nvidia is an order of magnitude slower than AMD at doing DirectCompute (TressFX) operations. You can obviously brute force it on high end Nvidia cards, but AMD can also do it fairly easily on their cheap ones. It was fairly glitchy at release, but after the first patch I definitely wouldn't want to play with it turned off.

The game also looks a lot better with SweetFX installed. I didn't tweak the settings at all, just reusing the setup I had for Dishonored.

TombRaider.exe_2013-03-12-21-24-31-963.png

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Every time I come to a campfire I get the urge to rekindle the flame with Humanity.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Just finished this. How come Square Enix makes really good calls on game they publish, but all of their own stuff sucks?

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Every time I come to a campfire I get the urge to rekindle the flame with Humanity.
Haha!

I popped in to say that this game is very well done. I am running max everything in DX11 (Without advanced hair) in 1920X1200 without a hitch on an i2500k O/C'd to 4.5 Ghz and a GTX 570. I still have some more to play. But the graphics and environments are just awesome. There will be some replay value when I need to go back and find everything. I am having so much fun just playing that I am not stopping to pick up /listen too all the story stuff. So I feel like I should slow down but the action is fun so I just want more of that. Which surprises me because I am a story guy as well.

Anyway, great game and great reboot. Fantastic character development, and a few unqiue turns in gameplay. I even jumped and was scared unexpectedly at one segment of the game when I thought I was in the clear when a bad guy came lunging at me from out of no where.

The advanced skill system is done well, and there is more than enough around the world to pick up and salvage to upgrade your weapons.

I highly recommend if you like puzzle platformers, have a beefy rig and can run full settings, and get sick of tiresome characters that lack personality while going tomb hunting. Or if you like Indiana Jones.

Favorite scene so far.
Clinging to the top of that radio tower while high up on a mountain, and then after being able to tune in and beacon, sliding down all the way on that rope. I turned around and looked up after that and quicte literally said Holy Shit out loud. Also, another fun scene, the parachute scene.

PS: Know that multiplayer sucks. Do not buy it for that. Basically you will be getting about 8 hours of game or so for 50 bucks. But it is a great 8 hours.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I think what surprised me the most was how graphic it can be at points. For example, some of the quick time events show close ups of gaping head wounds as a result of a bullet to the dome.

Mind you, I'm not complaining, but holy shit this isn't your grandma's Tomb Raider.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
my only complaint about games like these is that i feel compelled to complete all the secondary shit and it kind of takes the fun out of it

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
my only complaint about games like these is that i feel compelled to complete all the secondary shit and it kind of takes the fun out of it
Yeah, the secondary stuff does take the "flow" out of the story for sure. I wanted my first play through to be more cinematic so I skipped some stuff because I figured it didn't make much sense to be scrounging around looking for gps caches while lara's friends are yelling for help or whatever over the radio.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like the part where you're doing the story and she goes in to the Sun Queen's tomb and is like "Oh god I hate tomb's" YOU'RE THE MOTHERFUCKING TOMB RAIDER American Inventor YOU CANT HATE TOMBS. But I guess this is kind of an origin story eh.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Just beat it. I was overall very impressed. I found it hard to get too terribly jazzed about the overall story in that they broadcasted major plot twists miles ahead of the in-game reveal, but these days it's pretty hard to come up with plot devices that haven't been used countless times before. If I wasn't almost thirty or half as well read I probably would have enjoyed the story more.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys games.

Edit: I will say that I enjoyed the tease you get after finding all of the GPS caches. Looks like they're setting up the sequels.

jdfording

Trakanon Raider
This is the best game I've played so far this year. Can't wait for the next one, but I hope they actually put in some actual tombs this time. I'm really hoping Bioshock Infinite is as good or better.

I picked up Alan Wake and the expansion on Steam a few months ago for 75% off and just got around to playing it and it's pretty good so far.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
This is the best game I've played so far this year. Can't wait for the next one, but I hope they actually put in some actual tombs this time. I'm really hoping Bioshock Infinite is as good or better.

I picked up Alan Wake and the expansion on Steam a few months ago for 75% off and just got around to playing it and it's pretty good so far.
Yeah Alan Wake was a good game. The only thing I got annoyed with was the rinse and repeat of run down path, find cabin, fight spawns, run down path, reach check point, fight spawns, reach cabin. Don't read this until you finish the game, but another thing I didn't like:

THey completely ripped off L4D2 in that stage level band encounter

Coral_sl

shitlord
Also just finished. The single player, that is.

I assume there is no reason to play the MP in this game that has no business having MP?

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
huge huge disappointment!
no puzzles,no artifacts.....just bombs,arrows,bullets,grenades,molotov cocktails.
this is definitely NOT a Tomb Raider game!

Stave

Potato del Grande
So far this is my #1 PC GOTY contender, even better than DMC. There are other games coming out this year that may beat it. Bioshock Infinite, Sword of Truth, Battlefield 4 etc. But so far this year, this is my #1. The attention to detail and the design of the island is just awesome. It is one of the first games in a long time that really drew me into the world like it did. I can't wait for the sequels to this.

Also, If you liked either of the Batman games, you will probably love this. The game reminded me a lot of Batman Arkham Asylum. The whole metroidvania thing with sections with fighting, and lots of exploration and new gadget area unlocks etc.

Sean_sl

shitlord
huh.....yeah!
Well, your comment comes off like you haven't actually played it. The Tombs all had little puzzles and there was a ton of artifacts/relics to collect in nearly every area and they all had little blurbs about them when you collected them. So there were in fact puzzles and artifacts and it wasn't all just combat.

My only disappointment with the game was the reward for the Tombs was just exp/scrap and you didn't collect any kind of real "treasure" when you finished them. There should have been some cool big treasures in the tombs with blurbs on them, but longer and more in depth than the relics you collected around the island.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
My only disappointment with the game was the reward for the Tombs was just exp/scrap and you didn't collect any kind of real "treasure" when you finished them.
Well, they also count as treasure maps. That'skindalike treasure.