Tomb Raider (X360/PS3/PC)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tombs were way too small and all of them were extremely easy.

Definitely the best game I've played so far this year anyway though. I'm sure that won't last past the release of The Last of Us, but it would have to be one hell of a year to get knocked out of the top 3.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
huh.....yeah!
I only ask because in spite of Tomb Raider not having a ton of commonality with previous installments, it really is an excellent game. I understand that everyone's tastes are different, but the acting, cinematography, pacing, gameplay, and overall production value are very good in this game. It would be a shame if a Tomb Raider fan played this for twenty minutes and decided it wasn't for them because it didn't perfectly resemble what they'd come to expect from 15 years of mediocrity.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I find the obsessive fixation on the term "Tomb Raider" pretty laughable to be honest. Lara is an archaeologist first and foremost, and not every excavation takes place inside a fucking tomb. Still, the puzzles could have been larger in scope, or maybe more difficult.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Well, they also count as treasure maps. That'skindalike treasure.
Well, I meant like actual treasures, not necessary equipment or items or something. Like bigger versions of the cool relics you find scattered around the island. They don't even show what she takes out of the big chests when she finds one. It's just an off-scene pocketing of "something" in there.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
well...i'll admit, i am a bit picky
wink.png
but i play TR since the 1st when it came out.
yes this game has great acting,cinematography,etc but for me the essential part,the exploration,the puzzles doesn't exist.
the game was easy and having that waypoint thing it makes even easier.where is the fun in that?
if the game had another name,i would say "excellent game".but in the box is "TOMB RAIDER"

wink.png

Sean_sl

shitlord
See, you're saying stuff that's completely false again. There are puzzles, there is exploration. They're somewhat easy puzzles, but they are definitely there. Every single "Tomb" is a little puzzle. There's also plenty of exploration in the more open areas if you're looking to find things and not just blazing through the game.

Did you just completely ignore all of the side content?

ohkcrlho

See, you're saying stuff that's completely false again. There are puzzles, there is exploration. They're somewhat easy puzzles, but they are definitely there. Every single "Tomb" is a little puzzle. There's also plenty of exploration in the more open areas if you're looking to find things and not just blazing through the game.
but those are "side quests".that is secondary.
in other TR games you had to explore to finish the game.

Sean_sl

shitlord
but those are "side quests".that is secondary.
in other TB games you had to explore to finish the game.
Yeah, but the fact is theyarethere. You can't just say patently false stuff like the game has none what so ever. If you go through the game in a straight line guns blazing then that's your own damned fault.

ohkcrlho

Yeah, but the fact is theyarethere. You can't just say patently false stuff like the game has none what so ever. If you go through the game in a straight line guns blazing then that's your own damned fault.
of course they exist but there are games that after you finish them,it's quite fun to explore (like GTA).
TR,imo,is not that kind of game....or wasn't

Valamyr_sl

shitlord
I had fun with this game. Yeah, the tombs were easy, but you know what? I used to check walkthroughs every time to play Tomb Raiders and figure out the puzzles, go ahead call me a n00b
tongue.png
This game I beat without looking online once, did all the tombs, and I felt the challenge in figuring things out was adequate.

I didnt finish all the 'challenges', though. Those you need a walkthrough for, or absolutely no life.

Coral_sl

shitlord
The more reasonable answer is that he's right, the giant puzzles from previous games - even relatively recent ones like Legends and Underworld, are all gone. Of course, neither of those games reviewed or sold half so well as the game we have now.

Which is fine by me. I had a lot more fun with this reboot, and I don't need to judge it with 20 years weight of every previous TR game contained.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I steamsaled this, and it was my first encounter with the dreaded quick time event. I had seen them in mass effect sort of, but I never knew if I actually clicked in time or if it changed anything. In this game it was fail 10 times in a row till you finally remember the keys to hit.

I also think this is my first real big budget action game I've played in many years, as I normally avoid anything of the sort. The visuals are really impressive, and the way I move and interact with the environment is very nice. Combat was fairly well done.

But the semi interactive sequences very nearly ruined the game for me. I find I can either watch what is going on or watch for button prompts but not both. It isn't remotely fun and completely shatters all immersion in a lame attempt at being "cinematic". I really hope this sort of thing dies out.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I got a free copy of this and enjoyed it quite a bit... sadly i never would have even considered buying it either. But it was definitely fun

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
QTEs are lame for sure, but I'm still baffled as to how anyone who plays games can fail them. Doubly so in Tomb Raider where you get a long time to hit the right button. The only time I missed an event was so I could see the death animations (which are awesome btw).

EJXrfb7.jpg

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The timing on the "Y" QTE's (I dunno what they translate to on the keyboard) took me a bit to get used to, seemed way off to me. After the first few times I botched it I don't think I missed any though, except for one that happened during a 'cutscene' that totally caught me off guard~

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Keyboard QTEs were horrible. They just show some icon and you have to remember what that translates to as a keybind. I played it first on the PS3, and lasted to the first QTE when the dude drags Lara out of her hiding spot with the keyboard before switching back to gamepad on the PC version too.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I didn't have any troubles with the QTE. Granted, they are still annoying and I wish they would go away or be used way less. Loved every single death animation though. Some of them were so damn brutal.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I did that QTE where the dude pulls you out of your hiding spot at least 15 times before I said fuck it and looked up a guide because I was obviously doing something wrong. Iirc it was because I thought the icon meant one button but it actually meant another. I guess they just used the icons instead of the actual keys for the PC version for the sake of not having to create a custom graphic for each key on the keyboard (since everything was remappable).