Top Chef

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
At least that's being honest. I can't stand people that say they need to win it for their kids/wife/dead father/family. Marjorie needs to win the remove the human thumb from her face.

Anyone catch frat dad dooming himself to eventually lose? Telling his daughter second place is the first loser. Aside from being wrong(last place is the first loser), you're creating quite the basket case with those expectations.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Critics gonna critic. IMO if you come up under Thomas Keller you're set for life.

spronk

FPS noob
this is top chef not Hell's Kitchen, there are no "i want my daughter to learn women can be MORE than just a stripper" candidates here

Top Chef is $$$, every second you are on screen probably adds 10k to your lifetime earnings

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Hell's Kitchen contestants are lulz. Dishwashers be like

IMMA BE GERDERN REMSIES EXECUTIF SHAFF!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Hell's Kitchen is a comedy(and I love it), but yeah...there are like 3 actual cooks on that show each season. Seeing those prices for Per Se is ridiculous. Fucking rich people, man.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Hell's Kitchen is a comedy(and I love it), but yeah...there are like 3 actual cooks on that show each season. Seeing those prices for Per Se is ridiculous. Fucking rich people, man.
It's a real experience. I can't imagine people that are able to do that sort of thing more often than just special occasions, but I visit my best friend from college out in NYC every couple year and we always pick something really fancy. Per Se was silly and fun. We're going to do Eleven Madison Park when I make it out there again next year.

I don't ever regret those dinner prices, but I'm also only doing it once every two or three years.

As far as the show goes, you had to assume she was going to do well after name dropping Per Se earlier on, but I'm sure there are great chefs at incredible restaurants that work more with trial and error than they do with just being able to create good food with a clock running.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I eat at (what I thought were) expensive restaurants regularly, for business. $3,000 for 4 people is another planet, though.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
So tasting menus at the top spots in NYC right now are like $300-350. If a table for 4 is spending 3 grand, they're buying very expensive wine. Now that wine experience is certainly part of fine dining, but you can eat at these places and walk out with a pretty complete experience for less than 500 a person.

I understand that still isn't cheap, but that NYT review is at level not required to enjoy a great restaurant's food.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Which is why it's nitpicky and hilarious. Why spend that amount of money when you can even begin to describe a 'lukewarm matsutake mushroom bouillon as murky and appealing as bong water'.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Does HC still divide the kitchen into men v women?

I always found that pretty lazy and boring.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Downloaded some new Hell's Kitchen and started watching.

Those poor assholes. They had to make their "signature dish" (lol) and then are forced to wait what I would assume is at least 30 to 40 minutes before Ramsay tastes it. Yeah, that mussels dish is gonna do great after an hour.

Also, they're all hideous.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Same here. I'm enjoying the season as always, but I found the chefs less interesting this year overall (other than Phillip) and I'm not rooting for anyone in particular. Amar grew on me over the last couple episodes and now he's gone.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Of the remaining winners, I'd like Marjorie to win. Didn't think Toups would make it to the finals, and I really like the guy, but I don't think he'll win overall. I would've had Carl or Amar over him. Not a huge fan of Jeremy, but nothing against him really other than being a little bro-y.

Last Chance Kitchen spoilers:
Both Amar and Carl made it through Last Chance Kitchen though, so they could pull a win like Kristen Kish did a few seasons ago (androgynous Korean girl).

spronk

FPS noob
Pretty meh season but really good finale, was cool watching two brilliant chefs executing flawlessly. I think I woulda preferred Amar's food to Jeremy's but both were stellar. They really need to shorten the season though or something, 15 episodes a season is too much.